U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 07:52 PM

267 posts, read 211,967 times

Advertisements

Hmm, one of the more even and interesting comparisons that I've seen on CD. I would take the Seattle Metro area, because I prefer the weather. But Orange County has some fine cities as well, you can't go wrong with either.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 02:00 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,561,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I was completely off about Culver City's location.
Haha I was really confused about that.

I would prefer Seattle to Orange County. There are some interesting parts of OC, but they are few and far between.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:38 PM

15,350 posts, read 8,020,336 times
I really like OC including for the weather and low crime rate. Seattle is a real city with suburbs and OC is a collection of smaller cities and suburbs. I would go for Seattle as more fun and itneresting and OC for having a better climate and lower cirime (though Seattle is the 2nd lowest of any large US city in terms of violent crime).

Old 02-26-2015, 03:56 PM

43 posts, read 36,953 times
I lived in Orange County my entire life and always hated it. My entire family and a great group of friends kept me there for longer than I should've stayed, but I finally broke free from that place a year ago. Now that I'm in the Bay Area (which isn't much of an improvement imo), I can appreciate some of the great things that Orange County has to offer. Excellent shopping, some of the best restaurants I've ever been to (Old Vine in Costa Mesa, The Playground in Santa Ana, Bear Flag in Newport Beach, Sidecar Doughnuts in Costa Mesa), laid-back lifestyle, nice beaches, convenience, and of course, Disneyland.

That being said, I would never, ever move back. Like someone said, you spend your whole life in your car. And every other woman over the age of 60 seems to have either a plastic face or plastic boobs. It's a weird place.

Yeah, so...SEATTLE!

Old 02-26-2015, 04:07 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,375,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Haha I was really confused about that.

I would prefer Seattle to Orange County. There are some interesting parts of OC, but they are few and far between.
It's kind of funny how some people from LA and San Diego would prefer Seattle over Orange County. I love the SoCal lifestyle and San Diego and there are a lot of similarities between SD and Orange County. But for various reasons I just don't like it and would probably pick Seattle even though I'm not exactly a big fan of certain aspects of that city either (weather, culture, etc..). Orange County just seems to concentrate most of the aspects I dislike about San Diego/SoCal without enough positives to make up for it.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:49 PM

3 posts, read 3,604 times
Orange county is suburbia and should be compared with Suburbs only.. Orange county would lose in comparison to any real city like Seattle or Atlanta..

Old 02-26-2015, 09:07 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,561,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It's kind of funny how some people from LA and San Diego would prefer Seattle over Orange County. I love the SoCal lifestyle and San Diego and there are a lot of similarities between SD and Orange County. But for various reasons I just don't like it and would probably pick Seattle even though I'm not exactly a big fan of certain aspects of that city either (weather, culture, etc..). Orange County just seems to concentrate most of the aspects I dislike about San Diego/SoCal without enough positives to make up for it.
It is a little funny, but I think in a lot of ways my current neighborhood in Pasadena is closer to inner neighborhoods of Seattle (walkable, medium density) than most anywhere in OC. There are probably quite a few places in the Seattle metro that are similar to OC, but there is no downtown Seattle or Capitol (sp?) Hill in OC.

If it really boiled down to choosing between OC and Seattle, I'd probably pick OC but cheat and live in Long Beach and commute to OC, for familial reasons. In a vacuum with no family in CA, I think Seattle is a superior metro.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:21 AM

16 posts, read 14,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
These are two West Coast metros that offer comparatively high standards of living, by any scale but two very different urban morphologies (centralized
Are you calling the entire 4-county region "Seattle"? That includes thousand of square miles of undevelopable mountainous area, not to mention covers a very diverse range of places, including rich lily white suburbs and majority-minority low-income working class suburbs. It includes expensive, urban seattle, blue-collar, gritty Tacoma, white-trash Everett, and upscale corporate yuppie Bellevue.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:04 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,755,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnepple View Post
Are you calling the entire 4-county region "Seattle"? That includes thousand of square miles of undevelopable mountainous area, not to mention covers a very diverse range of places, including rich lily white suburbs and majority-minority low-income working class suburbs. It includes expensive, urban seattle, blue-collar, gritty Tacoma, white-trash Everett, and upscale corporate yuppie Bellevue.
Yeahp. That is the Seattle MSA after all. Yet most people are comparing that small urban core of the Seattle metro to the entirety of OC. The rest of the Seattle metro must not be worth mentioning? I dont know. The comments are interesting nonetheless, but not surprising.

I doubt 3million + people all live in pedestrian paradise Capitol Hill.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:31 AM

5,256 posts, read 12,558,881 times
But I even find Seattle's suburbs more interesting than Orange County towns. Plus they're much much closer to Seattle's big city amenities than Orange County. I hate to be harsh but I honestly find it a place with absolutely no appeal for me. Total endless suburbia which is just not my cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or