U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 03:49 PM

17,543 posts, read 34,623,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally192 View Post
Thanks for your long reply! I think they are hard choices but I'm not necessarily looking to live in either after law school, though UT would probably give me more leeway to get into law firms around the country, provided I get in of course

Apply to both schools and see what happens, your question may be answered for you. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 04:34 PM

267 posts, read 212,265 times
I'm in the Phoenix area now and I can tell you that Phoenix sucks. The people are more obnoxious than I anticipated, the weather is nice now but from what I hear it's HOT during the summer months. It's also kind of boring here, so prepare not to have much to do.

I'm also a minority for what it's worth, and if you had a chance to see Tiger Woods at the Phoenix Open a few weeks ago in Scottsdale, you would have heard some idiot yelling out "Chicken and Waffles!!" every time he hit the ball. Obnoxious and ignorant seems to be the norm here.

I've lived in a few different cities and I've found that as a rule of thumb, if you never hear about anyone visiting a city other than to see their family, then most likely there's a reason for it and most likely that reason is because the city sucks and it has nothing interesting to offer in and of itself. When's the last time you heard of someone visiting Phoenix just for the hell of it? Hope this helps.

I've never been to Austin, so I can't speak on it. Though I am considering visiting.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:14 PM

351 posts, read 418,930 times
Quote:
So I'm a rising Senior poised to go to Law School in Fall of 2016 and am wondering for those that are familiar with the following cities which one you think (and why) I would most fit in?

- Phoenix, AZ
- Austin, TX

I have never been to either and am not really familiar at all with the Western United States having been brought up in Northern VA/DC area and overseas where people tend to be much more liberal and open-minded. The reason I'm interested in these cities is because I want to go somewhere totally different (in terms of landscape) and somewhere where I will be warm all year round. However, I also want to be able to fit in, being a diverse person myself and someone who is accustomed to diversity...Given all this, which city do you think I would most enjoy for at least 3 years?
I lived in Northern VA/MD/DC and lived in Arizona for a few years. I also have spent a considerable amount of time in Austin and Phoenix. I love both cities; Phoenix will offer you a very different landscape where you can be in the desert, and if you drive 2 hours north, your in a huge forest with cooler temperatures. Austin has the hill country, and a very lively, energetic scene full of events, night life, etc.. Phoenix has stuff going on also, but just a bit more spread out. As one poster has said, apply to both schools and see what happens...

I would seriously consider doing a few days in each city (in the summer), and go with your gut. I've heavily considered going back to Arizona for the cost of living & lifestyle (very warm & dry, hiking/outdoor stuff, and its golf heaven).

Last edited by USNomad; 02-25-2015 at 06:26 PM..

Old 02-25-2015, 07:31 PM

7,289 posts, read 12,876,040 times
Can you get into a school in the Bay Area or Southern California?

Otherwise, Austin is probably more your thing. Phoenix is nice, but it's not an eastern style social melting pot.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:00 PM

327 posts, read 373,336 times
I want to go somewhere totally different (in terms of landscape) and somewhere where I will be warm all year round. However, I also want to be able to fit in

Phoenix. for a person of color its decent, not great. However, you mention different in landscape? its desert beauty at its finest. Its not all brown either, like some people like to say on CD. Warm all year round for the most part 1-2 months of 50-60 highs and 30-40s lows. The humidity is never too high year round, except july-sept it can get up to 50% which is not like 85% back east in places...

good luck and congrats!

Old 02-25-2015, 11:07 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,593,325 times
Austin is one of the coolest cities in the world for a young person to live in, it has great nightlife but its not trashy like South Beach or Vegas nightlife, people are super friendly and welcoming place. I always have a blast when I visit Austin. It is getting kinda expensive by Texas standards to live but not that bad compared to the East and West Coasts cost of living. I wish I was moving to Austin soon. Only drawback is the hot summers that are near unbearable. I do not know that much about Phoenix, I have been their a few times didn't like it as a tourist not that much to do but I did really like that like Scottsdale.Phoenix could be a great place to live, it bored me as a tourist.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:43 AM

8 posts, read 7,113 times
Seems like Austin is the winner, but I'd still love to visit Phoenix, maybe it's better for vacation

Old 02-26-2015, 09:23 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,481,056 times
Quote:
Seems like Austin is the winner, but I'd still love to visit Phoenix, maybe it's better for vacation
Phoenix is one of those cities better to live than visit. But by all means visit, I'm just warning you. Austin is good for both (visiting and living).

If you go to the Phoenix you should take the drive to the grand canyon, and if you want to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) to see Arizona's "Beach" (actually in Mexico).

Other than that, Phoenix is dead boring for sightseeing. If you have family though or people to see, it's all right.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:27 AM

267 posts, read 212,265 times
Quote:
The only reason to come to Phoenix is for it's job market and relative low cost of living. If you're just coming to visit, after a few hours you'll be thinking, "Why did I even come here?" You'll be better off going to the Grand Canyon or Las Vegas if you're headed this way.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:23 AM

1,039 posts, read 821,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingsLikeThat View Post
The only reason to come to Phoenix is for it's job market and relative low cost of living. If you're just coming to visit, after a few hours you'll be thinking, "Why did I even come here?" You'll be better off going to the Grand Canyon or Las Vegas if you're headed this way.
If you can't find anything to do out here in Phoenix, that's on you, not Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or