U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 01:23 PM

67 posts, read 116,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
With the exception of the Lake Superior area, yeah all of that looks boring. It baffles me that people find those other pictures interesting. Trees turn colors in almost every area of the country. Rolling fields? A farm house by a lake? I honestly don't find any of that even remotely comparable to other areas of the country with mountains and ocean.

Not trying to be inflammatory, just expressing my opinion. I was talking about Milwaukee specifically being a depressing city.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Just giving my 2 cents from personal experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 01:24 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,900,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techaz View Post
I would take Seattle every day all day. I've only visited Seattle, but live in Milwaukee.

Milwaukee has a pretty high cost of living considering the mid-size population of the city. Housing is very expensive unless you want to live way out in the suburbs or a 50 year old house.

As far as the roads and public transportation goes, I don't see much of an issue with the roads in Seattle. I've lived in Phoenix, AZ and getting stuck in rush hour could turn a commute into well over an hour instead of 20 minutes and Phoenix probably has the best freeway system in the country....it's an issue with almost every big city. Public transportation in Milwaukee is pretty much only used by the poor or college students around the university...outside of the university area it's almost exclusively used by those in extreme poverty and does not feel safe.

The school system in Milwaukee is absolutely terrible, you will not find anyone who says Milwaukee Public School System is anything but horrible. It's almost a must to have your kids go to schools in the outer perimeter of the city or outside of it.

If someone likes winter and cold weather, Milwaukee is good. Personal preference, but I'd take cloudy and rainy over the brutal cold winters.

Honestly, I could not ever recommend Milwaukee as a place to live to anyone. It's a depressing city. I am in a position to hire employees for healthcare in a specific field and there is not a large ambitious talent pool of employees. There are severe issues with talent and ambition in Milwaukee. Some of the top hospitals have major issues finding quality employees.

Seattle has a feeling of ambition and moving forward. I believe it's a much better place to raise a family and for professional growth. There is a lot more to do in Seattle than Milwaukee. Not just in the city, but the area. Sure Chicago is less than 2 hours away from Milwaukee, but Chicago is only fun for shopping and museums once in a while. The lake is ok, but other than that there is no comparison for natural beauty between Seattle and Milwaukee. The midwest is nothing but flat land and lakes, there aren't any exciting or interesting national parks, mountains, oceans, or anything else near Milwaukee.

That's my take on it. I'm hoping to move pretty soon as I only moved here for family reasons and it's just depressing living in the midwest.
Certainly the feelings you have, aren't shared by all. I don't live in Milwaukee, but my daughter and her husband live in a northern suburb, and they love it here. He is a physician, so most of their friends are physicians and nurses, and there seems to be no shortage, as far as I can tell. Milwaukee is a beautiful city on the east side, and has a very cool vibe. The old warehouse district, the Third Ward, is growing pretty nicely. A West Elm just opened there, and a Restoration Hardware will open within the next few months. There are nice things to do in Milwaukee, and Chicago isn't two hours away…it's less than that.

Milwaukee is a segregated city, with a pretty huge discrepancy of income between certain areas of the city. The East Side is very well educated, with high incomes, and lovely housing, for the most part. There are good private schools in Milwaukee, and many opt for that.

Your description is painted with too broad a stroke, based on your experience. I know things are different than you describe, so there's that. I love Seattle, but it's extremely expensive. I love Milwaukee, because it's more reasonably priced, and there really is a lot to do. I asked my son-in-law whether it's hard to recruit for the medical field here, and he was surprised by the question. SO, I hope you can high-tail it on out of Milwaukee, soon! (By the way, it was in the 60's and 70's last week, and my son-in-law is golfing right now. It will get cold at some point, but it doesn't drag out as long as people like to say.

Old 11-07-2015, 01:38 PM

67 posts, read 116,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Certainly the feelings you have, aren't shared by all. I don't live in Milwaukee, but my daughter and her husband live in a northern suburb, and they love it here. He is a physician, so most of their friends are physicians and nurses, and there seems to be no shortage, as far as I can tell. Milwaukee is a beautiful city on the east side, and has a very cool vibe. The old warehouse district, the Third Ward, is growing pretty nicely. A West Elm just opened there, and a Restoration Hardware will open within the next few months. There are nice things to do in Milwaukee, and Chicago isn't two hours away…it's less than that.

Milwaukee is a segregated city, with a pretty huge discrepancy of income between certain areas of the city. The East Side is very well educated, with high incomes, and lovely housing, for the most part. There are good private schools in Milwaukee, and many opt for that.

Your description is painted with too broad a stroke, based on your experience. I know things are different than you describe, so there's that. I love Seattle, but it's extremely expensive. I love Milwaukee, because it's more reasonably priced, and there really is a lot to do. I asked my son-in-law whether it's hard to recruit for the medical field here, and he was surprised by the question. SO, I hope you can high-tail it on out of Milwaukee, soon! (By the way, it was in the 60's and 70's last week, and my son-in-law is golfing right now. It will get cold at some point, but it doesn't drag out as long as people like to say.

The east side is very nice. Being a walkable area is a big plus but you can't buy a single family home unless you are very wealthy.

I know for a fact that the largest and most respected hospital in the area has a very real and difficult problem with staffing and quality employees (both nurses and techs) in the most critical areas of the hospital (surgery). They are not alone in having problems finding QUALITY employees.

To be fair, I did say Chicago is LESS than 2 hours away.

Honestly I wouldn't say that I hate Milwaukee, but when people have choices to live anywhere I do not understand why anyone would pick MKE over the much better cities out there.

Old 11-07-2015, 01:42 PM

4,525 posts, read 4,857,936 times
Quote:

Honestly I wouldn't say that I hate Milwaukee, but when people have choices to live anywhere I do not understand why anyone would pick MKE over the much better cities out there.
Couldn't agree more!

Old 11-07-2015, 03:03 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,246,763 times
Quote:
The east side is very nice. Being a walkable area is a big plus but you can't buy a single family home unless you are very wealthy.

I know for a fact that the largest and most respected hospital in the area has a very real and difficult problem with staffing and quality employees (both nurses and techs) in the most critical areas of the hospital (surgery). They are not alone in having problems finding QUALITY employees.

To be fair, I did say Chicago is LESS than 2 hours away.

Honestly I wouldn't say that I hate Milwaukee, but when people have choices to live anywhere I do not understand why anyone would pick MKE over the much better cities out there
This right here. Milwaukee is indeed a fine town. But the city and metro really don't have anything that makes it stand out from any other mid sized mid-western metros.

Stl, Mpls, Detriot, and Chicago metro's arguably offer much more.

Seattle by contrast is a top 10 US city and region.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:03 PM

868 posts, read 1,593,914 times
If your middle or working class, then Milwaukee is a much better place to live. Easy to get around, decent home for 150k, same amenities as Seattle such as pro sports, Universities, restaurants, shopping, same crap as any decent sized city.

Anywhere on the East or West Coast is great if your making 150K plus, otherwise your better off in a mid sized city such as Milwaukee or Kansas City, Indy etc....

Old 11-07-2015, 05:20 PM

390 posts, read 206,609 times
Always lively discussions. But the truth is for most working Americans, assuming a good job and parity in disposable income, life would not be one iota different or better regardless of which of the cities they lived in. After the new wears off and people fall into their normal routine that is.

Last edited by ms12345; 11-07-2015 at 05:29 PM..

Old 11-07-2015, 06:48 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,246,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
If your middle or working class, then Milwaukee is a much better place to live. Easy to get around, decent home for 150k, same amenities as Seattle such as pro sports, Universities, restaurants, shopping, same crap as any decent sized city.

Anywhere on the East or West Coast is great if your making 150K plus, otherwise your better off in a mid sized city such as Milwaukee or Kansas City, Indy etc....
Yea but the catch 22 is that there are not as many high paying jobs/opportunities as there are in Seattle. Keep in mind the general Seattle Area has like twice the population of the Milwaukee area, with a very strong economy and quality west coast location.

I agree that Milwaukee and other mid sized midwest areas are best for the working- middle class families. But that doesn't really make Milwaukee stand out from similar sized cities.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:44 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,168,965 times
Quote:

Not trying to be inflammatory, just expressing my opinion. I was talking about Milwaukee specifically being a depressing city.

No, you said living in the Midwest was depressing...please for your personal well-being get and stay out. Nobody in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, or the Midwest will lose any sleep over your absence.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:36 AM

4,525 posts, read 4,857,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton13 View Post

Give me some thoughts. Anyone lived in both?
I grew up in Milwaukee and have 2 friends that moved from Milwaukee to Seattle years ago and never looked back.

In addition to the fact that there are better/ more job opportunities in Seattle they say there's just so much more to do in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or