U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most undeservedly hated?
Miami 24 20.34%
Phoenix 33 27.97%
Houston 39 33.05%
Dallas 22 18.64%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 06:06 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,314,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
Agreed...I picked Houston as well. Give it a couple years and I would put Austin in there as well, I've seen a lot of undeserved negatives about ATX on C-D lately. I guess its the backlash from all the Forbes' lists.
Yeah Austin is booming. I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 06:25 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,340,352 times
Quote:
Agreed...I picked Houston as well. Give it a couple years and I would put Austin in there as well, I've seen a lot of undeserved negatives about ATX on C-D lately. I guess its the backlash from all the Forbes' lists.
The biggest difference is that the Austin haters tend to be from Texas.

The Houston and DFW haters tend to be from outside Texas.

On CD anyway...

Old 02-27-2015, 06:55 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,314,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
The biggest difference is that the Austin haters tend to be from Texas.

The Houston and DFW haters tend to be from outside Texas.

On CD anyway...
Austin must be doing something good that even Texans are hating on CD.

Last edited by mrfoe; 02-27-2015 at 07:03 PM..

Old 02-27-2015, 08:49 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,270,312 times
You can pick any sunbelt city and find swaths of bashing on these forums. Suburban sprawl is frowned upon. You should have added Atlanta. I've seen that city get ripped to shreds on countless occasions.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:02 PM

6,871 posts, read 7,740,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
You can pick any sunbelt city and find swaths of bashing on these forums. Suburban sprawl is frowned upon. You should have added Atlanta. I've seen that city get ripped to shreds on countless occasions.

CvC has a fetishization for density, diversity, and public transportation at least when I used to frequent over here. Urban Planning is even worse. CDers have to realize that most Americans prefer automobile over rail and houses to apartments. We all have preferences. It's not a matter of better or worse.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:24 PM

1,307 posts, read 2,070,856 times
I vote Houston for most undeservedly hated. It has spectacular art museums, one of the best food cities in the country, some lovely urbanish neighborhoods, and is embarked on a singular experiment in strip mall cosmopolitanism, and while not pretty and actually very ugly from the highways, is one of the more interesting cities in the U.S. And Galveston is the Provincetown of the Gulf!

Miami, I think is actually over-rated on CD and in the world at large, and courtesy of its nightclubs, great beaches and status as a fashion capital, it gets more recognition than it deserves. It is basically a one and a half note city and in many ways an intellectual and cultural backwater. Phoenix bores me to tears, but has beautiful surrounding topography, and Dallas is fine, but kinda Houston with a lobotomy and a huge dose of self-congratulation.

Houston is the most under-rated city in the U.S. IMO.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:41 PM
Status: "waite untill next year. It was fun while it lasted !" (set 21 days ago)

4,656 posts, read 4,505,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
That's because Houston doesn't do anything to promote itself. I guess that's why C-D Houston boosters are always on here trying so hard to promote the hell out of it.
I agree that Houston has no indigenous media to promote itself outside of its own media market. The East and West coast media outlets don't seem to feel comfortable reporting anything positive about Houston and do tend to prefer other Texas cities. I think that's why Houstonians feel it is necessary to answer tit for tat many of the negative comments. In the grand scheme of things I think the powers that be in Houston are fine with the oversight of Houston on the national stage. Its those of us who have a more street level relationship with the city that tend to be more cognizant of bad media stereotypes of this city.

As far as the other cities listed in the poll. I don't hear or see much about Phoenix period. I do hear and see a great deal of similar flame as Houston about Dallas but not to the same degree but of course I'm not really looking for it either. Now Miami does get some hate about its Latin dominated culture but I also see a lot of praise for Miami as well. Of those cities listed in the OP's poll I think Miami is the only city that most people would call "World Class" and esthetically pleasing. So Miami gets the most love of the 4 as well....

Old 02-27-2015, 09:42 PM

1,671 posts, read 1,925,658 times
Quote:
Maybe a whole lot of years later... Right now Austin sits on the exact opposite side of the spectrum, so ridiculously praised it is by far one of the most overrated cities in the US.... (note, this says nothing about the quality/lack thereof)

Old 02-27-2015, 09:45 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,608,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
I have to go with Houston on this. The city has become an economic powerhouse, and it's the only Southern city that I would describe as having a truly complete and high-functioning fine arts scene.
Texas is not Southern for the most part, Texas is Texas, it is its own region of the country different from the rest of the South, only East Texas near the LA border is anything like the South.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:52 PM

1,671 posts, read 1,925,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
CvC has a fetishization for density, diversity, and public transportation at least when I used to frequent over here. Urban Planning is even worse. CDers have to realize that most Americans prefer automobile over rail and houses to apartments. We all have preferences. It's not a matter of better or worse.
Agreed, and what about all of the massive hate towards the Midwest? or the Rustbelt? etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City