Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most undeservedly hated?
Miami 43 19.28%
Phoenix 59 26.46%
Houston 80 35.87%
Dallas 41 18.39%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 11:36 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times

Advertisements

The reason Houston gets so much hate on CityData is because so many Houston posters are so annoying, and will hijack any thread about any city and turn it into an endless Houston boosterism thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 11:41 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Phoenix and Miami get a lot of hate because they have too many transplants that dilute the real culture. I would not mind living in Phoenix or Miami. Lot of my family that moved and retired from all over the Midwest and East Coast moved to South Florida more Broward and Palm Beach not Miami but in the Miami metro area and they love it.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:56 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
The reason Houston gets so much hate on CityData is because so many Houston posters are so annoying, and will hijack any thread about any city and turn it into an endless Houston boosterism thread.
Well sort of true. There was only one or two Houston posters that was doing that and they have not posted here in a while. Other times, people just come out and bash Houston regardless unnecessarily.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:13 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well sort of true. There was only one or two Houston posters that was doing that and they have not posted here in a while.
Thank GOD!!! But don't worry, there are a good handful of Houston boosting posters who still hang around the boards and make Houston annoying. I'm sure some of them will hit this thread soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Other times, people just come out and bash Houston regardless unnecessarily.
From what I see, it's not that people just randomly bash Houston. It's mostly just that people don't rank or view Houston as highly as Houston posters do themselves, and the Houston posters get mad about it and start trying to prove to themselves and to everybody else why Houston is so great and flawless.

For instance, there is a thread in the World forum that asked if Houston is a well known city internationally. People from all over the world posted and overwhelmingly said no, and the thread then became swamped with butt hurt Houston posters typing novel length posts about why Houston IS an international city, even after people from overseas said they never hear about or think about Houston in their respective parts of the world like they do other U.S. cities, such as NY, LA, Chicago, or Miami.

Another thread and poll on here from a few years back asked posters from outside of Texas which Texas city they think of first when they think of Texas. People overwhelmingly said Dallas (and many others even said Austin or San Antonio) and even the poll results showed that Dallas was the first Texas city that came to mind for most non-Texans, and the Houston posters bitched and complained page after page and tried to tell everybody who said Houston didn't come to mind first that Houston IS the first/most fun/best/whatever city in Texas.

I think Houston is a great city with a lot of positives, but most of the Houston posters on CD sure do have one hell of an inferiority complex, and I think that's what rubs many people on CD the wrong way about Houston.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:57 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,457 times
Houston is a great city, I lived there.

But it's not famous, either in the USA and especially abroad. Before I moved to Houston, Texas to me was Dallas. Claiming Houston is not famous is not hate, it's the truth.

Claiming Houston is a sprawl fest is not hate, it's the truth.

Claiming Houston nightlife is weak, is not hate, it's the truth.

Now claiming Houston isn't diverse, has bad restaurants, that is just ignorant and unjustified.

But I don't see Houston being hated on really, who bashes the people in Houston like they do in Miami? If you look at this poll, it seems a lot of people like Houston more than the other options. Otherwise they wouldn't vote for it, Miami is posed to lose yet again

Old 02-27-2015, 01:19 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Houston is a great city, I lived there.

But it's not famous, either in the USA and especially abroad. Before I moved to Houston, Texas to me was Dallas. Claiming Houston is not famous is not hate, it's the truth.

Claiming Houston is a sprawl fest is not hate, it's the truth.

Claiming Houston nightlife is weak, is not hate, it's the truth.

Now claiming Houston isn't diverse, has bad restaurants, that is just ignorant and unjustified.

But I don't see Houston being hated on really, who bashes the people in Houston like they do in Miami? If you look at this poll, it seems a lot of people like Houston more than the other options. Otherwise they wouldn't vote for it, Miami is posed to lose yet again
I highly disagree with you saying Houston has no nightlife. Houston has a very good nightlife especially in the African american community.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:22 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,101,952 times
Some cities people just tend to either lover or hate, with very little middle ground. With the exception of Dallas, I think that's the case with the cities in your list.

You could probably add New Orleans and Orlando to the list of the CD abused.

Maybe it's a sunbelt thing.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
I highly disagree with you saying Houston has no nightlife. Houston has a very good nightlife especially in the African american community.
Maybe, TOC bar was one of the livelier places but Houston is pretty much struggling if it isn't Friday or Saturday and even on those days. I should know, I lived in Houston for a year, and tried a bunch of different options. I ended up just being a regular at Cafe Europe, which also began going downhill.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Some cities people just tend to either lover or hate, with very little middle ground. With the exception of Dallas, I think that's the case with the cities in your list.

You could probably add New Orleans and Orlando to the list of the CD abused.

Maybe it's a sunbelt thing.
New Orleans gets a lot of praise here and rightfully so, it's a gem of a small city.

Orlando...............

Old 02-27-2015, 01:58 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,838 times
I have to go with Houston on this. The city has become an economic powerhouse, and it's the only Southern city that I would describe as having a truly complete and high-functioning fine arts scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City