U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 09:30 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Doesn't matter, it still cuts out on the ratio. She wants single men of age that would obviously date her. Gay rules that out lol.

I liv in Atlanta, and to be frank I was surprised by 2 things

1)How many gay black men I saw (I guess I wasn't aware of her reputation wA I came!)
2)How many single women I saw.

As to point 2), I would go into a nightclub and it would be packed of single females. In other cities this is unheard of. I even remember telling my friends, if they are single, come to Atlanta, pickings are better here. Maybe it changed since I lived there (2012).
This is how things work in real life. Rich people normally don't hang with poor people. Senior citizens dont hang with teens. Gay people dont hang with straight people. Straight AA professionals hang around other straight professionals.The straight professional circles in Atlanta has plenty of straight men. Every man aint gay just like every female isnt an Atlanta housewives hoodrat. Saying you only came across gay men in Atlanta is the same as if I said I only came across strippers and gold diggers in Miami which is false.

I'm 100% sure the OP hasn't been to the best 40+ spots in Atlanta to meet men. DSD visit BQE Lounge on Edgewood Ave tonight. They have a live band and it be packed. Stand in front of the bar area and you will see plenty of 40+ men all around you. Then walk around the corner to Sweet Auburn Seafood on Auburn Ave. They also have a live band tonight and it will be plenty of 40 professional men around.

I'm a part time DJ in Atlanta so I know the real deal.

Btw i didn't say this to go back and forth with you all today.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:50 AM

ATLANTA African American Co-Ed Sports & Social Group (Atlanta, GA) - Meetup
Atlanta Black Singles (Atlanta, GA) - Meetup
The Black Newcomers Network (BNN) (Atlanta, GA) - Meetup
Atlanta 45-65 Singles Events (Atlanta, GA) - Meetup
ATL Over 40 & Seasoned (Clarkston, GA) - Meetup

DSD, I think your problem is your are doing it wrong. If you do the process wrong you will have the same result everywhere. Follow my following advice......

1. Join Meetup.com and join the following groups above. They do all sorts of things and they are all single. There are plenty of others to join once you check it out.

2. Go to these venues that cater to 40+ AA because I'm 100% sure you haven't been to them. I will tell you now that neither city has as many events as Atlanta. You just need to go to the right places..

Friday: BQE Lounge on Edgewood Ave. Go after 8pm. They have a live band around 8pm. Go by yourself and hang out at the barin front of the bar. It will be plenty of guys by tthemselves waiting to holla at you. Male sure you smile and look approachable. Go to Sweet Auburn Seafood on Auburn Ave which is around the corner. It's the same crowd with a live band. It's packed especially on the weekends with AA over 40. Go there solo and stand near the bar and smile and guys will approach you all night. If you want to party tonight check out Sound Table also on Edgewood. They are having a 70s 80s 90s music party there tonight. Tomorrow check out Studio 7 on Marietta ST.They are having an event called Spreadlove which is all soul house and old school music. It will.be packed with people in your age range. Check out Old School Saturdays. It's a once a month party that caters to people over 35+. Also check out Backstage on the southside..

There are plenty of other places but check these out first this weekend. I just think your approach is wrong and you dont know where to go at night. I think if you join those groups and go to the places i listed you will begin to think differently.

Have you been to.....

Wind Down Wednesday?
Live Jazz on Fridays at the High Museum?
Atl in the Park?
Cafe 290?
Frank Ski ' s on Saturday?
Dogwood Festival?
Inman Park Festival?
Did you go to any of the Steve Harvey Neighborhood Awards events on last year?
House in the Park?
Wolf Creek Concert series?
Have you been to any of the jazz events in downtown or Midtown?
Have you been to The Music Room on Sunday for their once a month Jazz event?

These and dozens more of events I didn't post go on all the time packed with nice dudes over 40. Mr. Right is going to knock on your door tonight with his credit score and W2 forms printed out for you to see. You have to go to events that cater to the men that you are looking for. Btw Houston or Nashville has nothing on our social scene. They have very few places to go to for your age demographic.

Last edited by afdinatl; 02-27-2015 at 10:22 AM..

Old 02-27-2015, 10:13 AM

351 posts, read 418,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsd228 View Post
Hi All,
I have job interviews for both Nashville and Houston. I am just wondering if anyone has any feedback on which of these places will be more suited for me. Here is a bit of background: I am an elementary teacher, I play soccer and tennis, enjoy outdoorsy activities like hiking and kayaking. I also like plays, going to concerts and listening to live music. I have traveled a lot and lived overseas so am looking for a diverse crowd. I am coming from Atlanta where the dating scene was pretty bleak for me because of the high number of women to men ratio. I am open to other races but just didn't seem too feasible in Atlanta..for me. I would like to avoid going to a place where the options for dating is nonexistent for my age group. Would love if some of you can share your experiences in either places. Thanks so much!
Yup, as most have said, dating & more career opportunities in Houston which is quite diverse. As an outdoorsy person myself (and lived in Houston), July through September in Houston can be a bit steamy, slightly more heat/moisture than Atlanta summers. I personally think Nashville has better access for hiking and kayaking. Both cities have live music, plays and concerts. But overall, Houston may be better as its a much larger market. It would be great if your interviews are located in Nashville and Houston, so you could take a look around.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:33 PM

7 posts, read 10,806 times
Thanks to all for the cool feedback! I appreciate it!

afdinatl- I have tried some of those places...not recently.. haven't been in the past two years as when I have gone in the past, these places were heavily saturated with women and hardly any men. Could be different now but just haven't ventured out lately since my other times have been uneventful. This unbalanced ratio also included activities through meetup...always very heavy with women.

usnomad- thanks for the info! I was worried about the summers but I just moved back from the middle east so I'm kind of used to that inferno kind of weather! Yes, luckily I will be going to both cities for the interviews. I'm only staying for a weekend for the Nashville interview but will stay about a week in April for Houston.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:28 PM

315 posts, read 241,910 times
Nothing like a visit to get at least somewhat of a feel for both places.......I would probably lean Houston in general but it all depends what your looking for really.......

Old 03-04-2015, 06:55 AM

52,608 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
FYI

If you want to move to a city with more men the only city on the east coast to offer that is the Norfolk, Va area because they
have the largest Navy base in the world and several other military bases. The only negative is that you have to be able to live the military lifestyle. Good luck.

To answer your question Houston is probably the better choice since they have more men than Nashville. More men equal more dating opportunities. Just make sure you change your lifestyle in order for this to work

Your first paragraph is what I was thinking as the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area will have areas where there are more men due to the military presence. Such areas will have diversity as well for the same reasons. Interestingly, many Western metros seem to have more men, including Black men due to this as well.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:41 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,429,792 times
Houston by a longshot. Especially if you are coming from Atlanta. Houston will feel like a lateral move or an upgrade and Nashville will seem like several steps back.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Houston by a longshot. Especially if you eoming from Atlanta. Houston will feel like a lateral move or an upgrade and Nashville will seem like several steps back.
Not really regarding Atlanta. Atlanta is better in every category except job growth and better winter weather..

Atlanta has better heavy rail, more things to do, better nightlife, better entertainment, better topography, less smog, more flight direct routes, closer to more important cities, more annual visitors, no hurricane threat, etc.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:23 AM

Also there are plenty of men across the country who get overlooked daily in every city so let's not act like this is only a female over 40 problem. For every woman that can't find a man is a man that get overlooked by women

Old 03-04-2015, 11:56 AM

12,201 posts, read 17,562,133 times
afdinatl, good grief, let Atlanta go!

She's leaving!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or