U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2015, 11:12 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Reputation: 8963

Advertisements

Houston is in that 2nd tier with Chicago, Philadelphia, DFW, and Detroit for Black professional and presence for metro areas. DC, Atlanta, and NY are the first tier. Houston still has a very strong and growing black population so she will be alright if she chooses Houston.

 
Old 03-08-2015, 08:35 AM
 
27,712 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Reputation: 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
That must be a joke. Memphis can't even stay at pace with Mississippi these days. So much wasted potential in Memphis; it still looks and feels like it's stuck in the 1960's.
His argument was cultural, not economic and he has something of a point.
 
Old 03-08-2015, 07:45 PM
 
2,029 posts, read 1,429,792 times
Reputation: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
His argument was cultural, not economic and he has something of a point.
My argument is cultural, too. Just because a place is predominately black doesn't make it a good place for blacks to live, nor a good example of a modern day black cultural mecca. Memphis is not a top city for professional blacks or blacks looking for black culture that's not tied to plantation/Mississippi Delta culture. Heck, even on an economic level, there is nothing going on in Memphis at all except warehouse jobs and throwing and stacking boxes overnight at FedEx. Trust me on that. I grew up in Memphis and got out of there as fast as I could, as did most of the young educated/professional black folks I knew and grew up with (many of whom moved to Atlanta and Texas). Bottom line, Memphis is a city that does NOT belong in this discussion at all.

Last edited by Tex Luthor; 03-08-2015 at 09:08 PM..
 
Old 03-08-2015, 09:00 PM
 
6,795 posts, read 6,588,241 times
Reputation: 5411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Houston is in that 2nd tier with Chicago, Philadelphia, DFW, and Detroit for Black professional and presence for metro areas. DC, Atlanta, and NY are the first tier. Houston still has a very strong and growing black population so she will be alright if she chooses Houston.
I wouldn't put Detroit in the second tier at all. IMO, 2nd tier would be Houston, Dallas, and Charlotte. I've never felt Philly has a large black corporate and professional presence. Chicago is iffy.
 
Old 03-08-2015, 09:13 PM
 
2,029 posts, read 1,429,792 times
Reputation: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I wouldn't put Detroit in the second tier at all. IMO, 2nd tier would be Houston, Dallas, and Charlotte. I've never felt Philly has a large black corporate and professional presence. Chicago is iffy.
Man, some folks just throw cities on the list of places that are good for black folks to live just because they have majority black populations. They don't even bother considering how progressive or professional the city is, or things like entertainment options and economic and educational opportunities. Just whether or not a lot of black people live there.
 
Old 03-08-2015, 09:21 PM
 
6,795 posts, read 6,588,241 times
Reputation: 5411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Man, some folks just throw cities on the list of places that are good for black folks to live just because they have majority populations. They don't even bother considering how progressive or professional the city is, or things like entertainment options and economic opportunities. Just whether or not a lot of black people live there.
It's hard to deny Atlanta and D.C. are top cities for black professionals and that would be my first tier. I'm even iffy on NYC. Why are so many blacks moving from NYC if it's so great for black professionals?

1st tier: Atlanta, D.C.
2nd tier: Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, NYC
3rd tier: Chicago, Philly

I actually don't think Houston is far from first tier at all. It just doesn't really have that heavy black culture that Atlanta and D.C. have.
 
Old 03-08-2015, 09:26 PM
 
2,029 posts, read 1,429,792 times
Reputation: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It's hard to deny Atlanta and D.C. are top cities for black professionals and that would be my first tier.
Oh, without a doubt. But Memphis and Detroit? Not so much...
 
Old 03-08-2015, 09:32 PM
 
2,029 posts, read 1,429,792 times
Reputation: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post

1st tier: Atlanta, D.C.
2nd tier: Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, NYC
3rd tier: Chicago, Philly

I actually don't think Houston is far from first tier at all. It just doesn't really have that heavy black culture that Atlanta and D.C. have.
Houston is way too diverse and integrated to just be put in an Atlanta or even a DC category, but with that being said, it still doesn't lack anything for black professionals and is pretty much right there with Atlanta and DC, IMO. These days, a lot of young black folks are actually talking more about Houston than Atlanta. They think Atlanta is pretty played out, and jobs are too hard to come by in Atlanta. The job market in Houston is booming, though. And while DC is still up there, a lot of the black folks are being gentrified out of DC. So Houston is the future, if you ask me.
 
Old 03-08-2015, 09:56 PM
 
6,795 posts, read 6,588,241 times
Reputation: 5411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Houston is way too diverse and integrated to just be put in an Atlanta or even a DC category, but with that being said, it still doesn't lack anything for black professionals and is pretty much right there with Atlanta and DC, IMO. These days, a lot of young black folks are actually talking more about Houston than Atlanta. They think Atlanta is pretty played out, and jobs are too hard to come by in Atlanta. The job market in Houston is booming, though. And while DC is still up there, a lot of the black folks are being gentrified out of DC. So Houston is the future, if you ask me.
I agree, but Charlotte is in a lot of black's mouths these days. It's shocking how many are moving to Charlotte now. That's why I'm hesitant to put Houston up there. If it had that black culture D.C. and Atlanta ahd, I'd easily put up there with those two. Blacks do have an easier time finding jobs in Houston Vs. Atlanta though. D.C. though? Huge federal/public presence.
 
Old 03-08-2015, 10:22 PM
 
2,029 posts, read 1,429,792 times
Reputation: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I agree, but Charlotte is in a lot of black's mouths these days. It's shocking how many are moving to Charlotte now. That's why I'm hesitant to put Houston up there. If it had that black culture D.C. and Atlanta ahd, I'd easily put up there with those two. Blacks do have an easier time finding jobs in Houston Vs. Atlanta though. D.C. though? Huge federal/public presence.
Very true. Charlotte is getting a lot of black word of mouth these days, and even though blacks are getting gentrified farther and farther out of DC, they still work in DC with all the government/federal job opportunities there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top