U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 11:10 PM

1,287 posts, read 989,326 times

Advertisements

Having lived in Charlotte recently, I found the city to be very overrated and definitely not a second tier city for blacks. In fact, I'd say that Charlotte falls in the same "backwoods" category along with cities like Memphis. Nothing at all special. Major disappointment.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:32 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,429,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Having lived in Charlotte recently, I found the city to be very overrated and definitely not a second tier city for blacks. In fact, I'd say that Charlotte falls in the same "backwoods" category along with cities like Memphis. Nothing at all special. Major disappointment.
LOL! I personally never said Charlotte was 2nd tier for blacks. Just that the potential and opportunities are there, so it is starting to get on a lot of professional blacks' radar now. Give it another decade and you will most likely see a difference. I still don't think it's anywhere near as bad as Memphis, though. I know a few black people from Memphis who moved to Charlotte who say it already blows Memphis out the water. But then again, that's not very hard to do, when it comes to Memphis.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:50 PM

18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It's hard to deny Atlanta and D.C. are top cities for black professionals and that would be my first tier. I'm even iffy on NYC. Why are so many blacks moving from NYC if it's so great for black professionals?

1st tier: Atlanta, D.C.
2nd tier: Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, NYC
3rd tier: Chicago, Philly

I actually don't think Houston is far from first tier at all. It just doesn't really have that heavy black culture that Atlanta and D.C. have.
Because New York is expensive. I would definitely put Chicago in the 2nd tier. Not that expensive and still has a large black presence with many Black businesses and buppies as well. A good alternative to New York as well as it's much cheaper. What hurts Chicago is the weather and the taxes. I honestly wouldn't put Charlotte over Philly or Chicago. With Detroit, if it's not in the 2nd tier, I would put it in 3rd.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Because New York is expensive. I would definitely put Chicago in the 2nd tier. Not that expensive and still has a large black presence with many Black businesses and buppies as well. A good alternative to New York as well as it's much cheaper. What hurts Chicago is the weather and the taxes. I honestly wouldn't put Charlotte over Philly or Chicago. With Detroit, if it's not in the 2nd tier, I would put it in 3rd.
One would think Chicago, because it was a hot spot for blacks to move to for so many years (from the Great Migration up through the 80's). But these days, black folks are leaving Chicago in droves (mostly returning to the South in a reverse migration). While cheaper than New York, it's not as cheap as you make it sound, and it's one of the most segregated cities in America. Not very black friendly at all.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:47 AM

27,712 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Professionally, Charlotte is definitely on another level for Blacks than Memphis; that's really not even debatable and I definitely don't get the "backwoods" description at all.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
My argument is cultural, too. Just because a place is predominately black doesn't make it a good place for blacks to live, nor a good example of a modern day black cultural mecca. Memphis is not a top city for professional blacks or blacks looking for black culture that's not tied to plantation/Mississippi Delta culture. Heck, even on an economic level, there is nothing going on in Memphis at all except warehouse jobs and throwing and stacking boxes overnight at FedEx. Trust me on that. I grew up in Memphis and got out of there as fast as I could, as did most of the young educated/professional black folks I knew and grew up with (many of whom moved to Atlanta and Texas). Bottom line, Memphis is a city that does NOT belong in this discussion at all.
From an economic/professional perspective, I do agree but the cultural argument is based on things like music (blues, soul, rock 'n roll, etc), cuisine (BBQ), religion (COGIC headquarters), etc. But Memphis lacks the tourism (e.g., NOLA) and the professional opportunities, so that's definitely a drawback.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:23 AM

18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Quote:
One would think Chicago, because it was a hot spot for blacks to move to for so many years (from the Great Migration up through the 80's). But these days, black folks are leaving Chicago in droves (mostly returning to the South in a reverse migration). While cheaper than New York, it's not as cheap as you make it sound, and it's one of the most segregated cities in America. Not very black friendly at all.
Yeah the Chicago area is definitely cheap. The cost of living is not that much higher than sunbelt cities. In fact, Chicago is closer to Houston in cost of living than it is to Washington DC. Also, let's be real, there aren't many cities as integrated as Houston.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
From an economic/professional perspective, I do agree but the cultural argument is based on things like music (blues, soul, rock 'n roll, etc), cuisine (BBQ), religion (COGIC headquarters), etc. But Memphis lacks the tourism (e.g., NOLA) and the professional opportunities, so that's definitely a drawback.
Look at all the stuff you are naming, though. LOL, it's all 40+ years is old. That's why Memphis lacks tourism...lol. For instance, when was the last time Blues music, Stax music, or Elvis was popular and topping the charts? That's old folks stuff.

Nashville can use it's reputation as "Music City" to bring tons of steady tourism and positive present-day attention because it's the headquarters of country music, and country music is as popular as ever and is CURRENT. Country is the best selling genre of music in America and contrary to popular belief, it's not the only form of present day music that's big in Nashville, either. Part of the charm of Nashville is that you can easily go out on the town and stand behind Carrie Underwood at a grocery store, see Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman having dinner at a restaurant, or go to a coffee shop and see the rock band Jack White sitting there writing lyrics to a new song. In Memphis, all you can do is go to a couple of museums and see exhibits about a bunch of dead or inactive musicians whose biggest hits were back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, like Elvis, WC Handy, Issac Hayes, and BB King. See the difference?

Also, COGIC hasn't been headquarted in Memphis for a while now (they moved to St. Louis), and BBQ (while GREAT in Memphis) can be found many places across the country.

So like I said, none of what you mentioned is enough to put Memphis in this conversation. I don't know why it keeps coming up, and I have seen you bring it up several times in a few different threads.

Last edited by Tex Luthor; 03-09-2015 at 10:03 AM..

Old 03-09-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah the Chicago area is definitely cheap. The cost of living is not that much higher than sunbelt cities. In fact, Chicago is closer to Houston in cost of living than it is to Washington DC. Also, let's be real, there aren't many cities as integrated as Houston.
Of course it's not on DC's level cost of living wise. Few places are. But Chicago is not cheap, unless you want to live on the Southside or Westside. Heck, there are even a lot of poor, working class whites in Chicago who are struggling, so I don't know why you think it's as cheap as Houston as far as cost of living. Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and even backwoods places like Memphis, Mississippi, and Alabama are actually getting a lot of black Chicago transplants who can't find work in Chicago or who can't afford to live there if they want to live outside the hood. A lot of them are going back home to live in the places where their families migrated from, because it's so much more affordable.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Look at all the stuff you are naming, though. LOL, it's all 40+ years is old. That's why Memphis lacks tourism...lol. For instance, when was the last time Blues music, Stax music, or Elvis was popular and topping the charts? That's old folks stuff.

Nashville can use it's reputation as "Music City" to bring tons of steady tourism and positive present-day attention because it's the headquarters of country music, and country music is as popular as ever and is CURRENT. Country is the best selling genre of music in America and contrary to popular belief, it's not the only form of present day music that's big in Nashville, either. Part of the charm of Nashville is that you can easily go out on the town and stand behind Carrie Underwood at a grocery store, see Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman having dinner at a restaurant, or go to a coffee shop and see the rock band Jack White sitting there writing lyrics to a new song. In Memphis, all you can do is go to a couple of museums and see exhibits about a bunch of dead or inactive musicians whose biggest hits were back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, like Elvis, WC Handy, Issac Hayes, and BB King. See the difference?
My point was that the things I named musically constitute a big part of the African American musical legacy and you can still find examples of that in Memphis to a large degree. I also didn't mention Memphis' own form of the hip hop subgenre. I'm completely aware of the fact that it doesn't capitalize on this from a tourist and economic perspective as much as it could, but that's not my point.

Quote:
Also, COGIC hasn't been headquarted in Memphis for a while now (they moved to St. Louis), and BBQ (while GREAT in Memphis) can be found many places across the country.
The COGIC headquarters is still in Memphis at Mason Temple; only the annual convocation moved, and it will most likely return to Memphis in the future (and COGIC hosts other smaller conventions in Memphis on a regular basis). And Memphis isn't known just for having BBQ, but for its own particular style of BBQ, just like in the Carolinas, Texas, and Kansas City.

Quote:
So like I said, none of what you mentioned is enough to put Memphis in this conversation. I don't know why it keeps coming up, and I have seen you bring it up several times in a few different threads.
I didn't bring Memphis up; another poster did and I thought it was an interesting statement. After I thought about it, I saw where he was coming from from purely a cultural angle but as I said, I think after--or along with--Atlanta, NOLA is the city that best capitalizes on Black culture in the South. I'm also unaware of the "several times" I've brought Memphis up in other threads, besides in passing. I'm not invested in the city as you seem to suggest, but I've visited a few times and know a few things about it; that's the extent of my affiliation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or