U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 07:49 AM

7 posts, read 10,882 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I have job interviews for both Nashville and Houston. I am just wondering if anyone has any feedback on which of these places will be more suited for me. Here is a bit of background: I am an elementary teacher, I play soccer and tennis, enjoy outdoorsy activities like hiking and kayaking. I also like plays, going to concerts and listening to live music. I have traveled a lot and lived overseas so am looking for a diverse crowd. I am coming from Atlanta where the dating scene was pretty bleak for me because of the high number of women to men ratio. I am open to other races but just didn't seem too feasible in Atlanta..for me. I would like to avoid going to a place where the options for dating is nonexistent for my age group. Would love if some of you can share your experiences in either places. Thanks so much!

Old 02-27-2015, 08:18 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,534,833 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Just posting this because the ratio of men to women in Atlanta is even for the most part. Posted are gov stats to prove my point. This is the biggest lie told about Atlanta. It's more women at events because women generally go out in large groups and men generally go out in small groups.

To answer your question if you want to be around a lot of men move to a small or mid size city with a huge military population.

Not to knock what you said but I think you will have the same issues in these cities if you don't change your way of life. Most single women will go out in large groups and sit next to their girls the entire night. They will go in groups to events that men don't go to. Most men aren't going to go with their boys to watch the play "Cats" at the theater. Most men aren't going to be at Scandal watch parties either. Men are either at home watching TV or playing video games or they are at a sports bar/etc or they trying to set up a booty call from home at night. A lot of people like to blame the city that they are in when they may have caused the problem.

Do you go to places where single men are? if so, where?

Do you go out solo or with a large group of your girls? If you go out with your girls do you separate yourself from them occasionally so that any interested men can approach you?

Do you go to places where men like going to?

Also not to be rude but this is just a FYI. Generally speaking when women are young they like older guys and older men generally like younger women. Most single men in the their 40s nationwide are more interested in younger women. The reason I'm saying this is because men are the same everywhere.

I recommend wherever you decide to go to.....

Go out solo to places where men go. We aren't with our boys going to see the latest Tyler Perry play or at a Scandal watch party. We are at sports bars, networking events and at clubs. Try changing your approach or you will see the same results no matter where you live.

Good luck

Last edited by Yac; 03-13-2015 at 07:47 AM..

Old 02-27-2015, 08:37 AM

Duly noted! Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 02-27-2015, 08:51 AM

FYI

If you want to move to a city with more men the only city on the east coast to offer that is the Norfolk, Va area because they
have the largest Navy base in the world and several other military bases. The only negative is that you have to be able to live the military lifestyle. Good luck.

To answer your question Houston is probably the better choice since they have more men than Nashville. More men equal more dating opportunities. Just make sure you change your lifestyle in order for this to work

Old 02-27-2015, 09:01 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,482,046 times
There are a lot of gay men in Atlanta, especially Black men, so even if the ratio is the same, I can see why the OP feels that way.

I recommend Houston unless you prefer white men, than Nashville.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:02 AM

Yeah..leaning more towards Houston...simply because more job ops there also.
Hmmm, I'll pass on Norfolk. Dating..or more importantly ...forming a serious relationship is high on my list but other things are important about the city also and no offense, but Norfolk wouldn't suit me.
Are you from Atlanta?

Old 02-27-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
There are a lot of gay men in Atlanta, especially Black men, so even if the ratio is the same, I can see why the OP feels that way.

I recommend Houston unless you prefer white men, than NFoe.
Gay men and men in jail are canceled out with the lesbians, crazy women, materialistic women, etc so it balances out at the end. Plus gay people dont hang around straight people socially just like CEOs of Fortune 500 companies don't hang around people on Section 8. In straight AA social circles the only reason it's always is more women is because women like to go out in groups for safety reasons generally speaking. Most guys go out solo so that's Jacks up the numbers.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsd228 View Post
Yeah..leaning more towards Houston...simply because more job ops there also.
Hmmm, I'll pass on Norfolk. Dating..or more importantly ...forming a serious relationship is high on my list but other things are important about the city also and no offense, but Norfolk wouldn't suit me.
Are you from Atlanta?
No but I have moved around a lot. I live in Atlanta now though

Old 02-27-2015, 09:11 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,482,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Gay men and men in jail are canceled out with the lesbians, crazy women, materialistic women, etc so it balances out at the end. Plus gay peoole dont hang around straight people socially just like CEOs of Fortune 500 companies don't hang around people on Section 8.
Doesn't matter, it still cuts out on the ratio. She wants single men of age that would obviously date her. Gay rules that out lol.

I lived in Atlanta, and to be frank I was surprised by 2 things

1)How many gay black men I saw (I guess I wasn't aware of her reputation when I came!)
2)How many single women I saw.

As to point 2), I would go into a nightclub and it would be packed of single females. In other cities this is unheard of. I even remember telling my friends, if they are single, come to Atlanta, pickings are better here. Maybe it changed since I lived there (2012).

Old 02-27-2015, 09:11 AM

4,948 posts, read 6,881,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post

I recommend Houston unless you prefer white men, than Nashville.
Took the words right out of my head.
A lot of gay men in Atlanta, so the ratio of dateable men is not even....

Houston, all day long. It's such a diverse city, so you can date the entire rainbow of humanity, while in Nashville, maybe not so much... Houston is closer to water and beaches, has warmer weather, has bigger city amenities, and is like I said....more diverse. Plus it's a booming city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or