U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Better relations?
West Coast 29 26.36%
East Coast 74 67.27%
Similar 7 6.36%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-03-2015, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,193 posts, read 11,563,389 times
Reputation: 10281

Advertisements

For the record, here's the results of the most recent genetic admixture studies of Latinos:

Dominican - 47.7% European, 0% Asian, 41.9% African, 10.4% Amerindian
Puerto Rican - 60.4% European, 0% Asian, 20.5% African, 19.1% Amerindian
Cuban - 72% European, 0% Asian, 20% African, 8% Amerindian
Colombian - 54.4% European, 0% Asian, 7.5% African, 38.1% Amerindian
Ecuadorian - 39.2% European, 0.1% Asian, 5.8% African, 54.9% Amerindian
Mexican - 44.8% European, 1.5% Asian, 4.8% African, 48.9% Amerindian
Guatemalans - 41% European, 0% Asian, 3% African, 47% Amerindian

African Americans - 21% European, 0.4% Asian, 75.5% African, 3% Amerindian

The average Dominican actually has slightly more European than African ancestry. However, due to U.S. history of one-droppism, a 50/50 black/white mix (like Obama) tends to be viewed as black socially speaking. The Native American ancestry may also play a role in making Dominicans not read as being white generally speaking.

Puerto Ricans and Cubans are both around 1/5th African. There is a lot more variance in Cuban than Puerto Rico however, with many Puerto Ricans being almost entirely of European or African descent, while few Puerto Ricans are so unmixed (Puerto Rico got a lot less 19th century immigration from Spain and elsewhere than Cuba).

In the rest of Latin America, the African admixture was relatively nominal, at least on a nationwide level, although there are isolated populations (particularly around the Caribbean, or on the Pacific Coast in Columbia, Ecuador, and Peru) which are clearly mainly of African descent. Still, for the most part the sizable Colonial black population vanished due to the absence of a color line in these societies. Nearly everyone is a little black, but not enough to be noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2015, 10:47 AM
 
14,096 posts, read 22,450,950 times
Reputation: 4173
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
For the record, here's the results of the most recent genetic admixture studies of Latinos:

Dominican - 47.7% European, 0% Asian, 41.9% African, 10.4% Amerindian
Puerto Rican - 60.4% European, 0% Asian, 20.5% African, 19.1% Amerindian
Cuban - 72% European, 0% Asian, 20% African, 8% Amerindian
Colombian - 54.4% European, 0% Asian, 7.5% African, 38.1% Amerindian
Ecuadorian - 39.2% European, 0.1% Asian, 5.8% African, 54.9% Amerindian
Mexican - 44.8% European, 1.5% Asian, 4.8% African, 48.9% Amerindian
Guatemalans - 41% European, 0% Asian, 3% African, 47% Amerindian

African Americans - 21% European, 0.4% Asian, 75.5% African, 3% Amerindian

The average Dominican actually has slightly more European than African ancestry. However, due to U.S. history of one-droppism, a 50/50 black/white mix (like Obama) tends to be viewed as black socially speaking. The Native American ancestry may also play a role in making Dominicans not read as being white generally speaking.

Puerto Ricans and Cubans are both around 1/5th African. There is a lot more variance in Cuban than Puerto Rico however, with many Puerto Ricans being almost entirely of European or African descent, while few Puerto Ricans are so unmixed (Puerto Rico got a lot less 19th century immigration from Spain and elsewhere than Cuba).

In the rest of Latin America, the African admixture was relatively nominal, at least on a nationwide level, although there are isolated populations (particularly around the Caribbean, or on the Pacific Coast in Columbia, Ecuador, and Peru) which are clearly mainly of African descent. Still, for the most part the sizable Colonial black population vanished due to the absence of a color line in these societies. Nearly everyone is a little black, but not enough to be noticed.
Good numbers. The African percentage for Mexico is higher than I thought it would be. I know there are Afro pockets in and around Veracruz. Like you said, they all have a little black in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2015, 03:06 PM
 
55,206 posts, read 78,905,589 times
Reputation: 12187
I think the problem with some of these percentages is that later European immigration(not just from Spain) and the regionalization of certain groups like Blacks and Natives may not be taken into account. It isn't that the colonial African presence has diminished, but that just like the US, these countries also essentially Whiten due to widespread European immigration, which many don't realize in regards to Latin American countries. You can find communities in each of these countries with high to overwhelmingly Black populations.

Mexico has a concentration of Blacks on the Caribbean and Pacific Coasts. This is pretty much the case with Latin American countries outside of Maroon/runaway communities and select cities, with maybe the Ibarra area of Ecuador.

That Colombian percentage really throws me off due to around 25%-30% of the country's people having African descent. This says 26%: Refworld | World Directory of Minorities and Indigenous Peoples - Colombia : Afro-Colombians

Even the African American figures seem to depend on the study, with many going as high as 80% African, if not slightly higher.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-03-2015 at 03:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2015, 03:24 PM
 
3,751 posts, read 3,630,856 times
Reputation: 3513
Definitely East Coast. I get the idea that blacks and Hispanics on the west coast don't like each other that much. There's definitely more mixing of their cultures on the East Coast too, since you have Dominicans etc who are both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2015, 05:12 PM
 
14,096 posts, read 22,450,950 times
Reputation: 4173
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the problem with some of these percentages is that later European immigration(not just from Spain) and the regionalization of certain groups like Blacks and Natives may not be taken into account. It isn't that the colonial African presence has diminished, but that just like the US, these countries also essentially Whiten due to widespread European immigration, which many don't realize in regards to Latin American countries. You can find communities in each of these countries with high to overwhelmingly Black populations.

Mexico has a concentration of Blacks on the Caribbean and Pacific Coasts. This is pretty much the case with Latin American countries outside of Maroon/runaway communities and select cities, with maybe the Ibarra area of Ecuador.

That Colombian percentage really throws me off due to around 25%-30% of the country's people having African descent. This says 26%: Refworld | World Directory of Minorities and Indigenous Peoples - Colombia : Afro-Colombians

Even the African American figures seem to depend on the study, with many going as high as 80% African, if not slightly higher.
Yeah, I knew the African American percentage was higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2015, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,193 posts, read 11,563,389 times
Reputation: 10281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the problem with some of these percentages is that later European immigration(not just from Spain) and the regionalization of certain groups like Blacks and Natives may not be taken into account. It isn't that the colonial African presence has diminished, but that just like the US, these countries also essentially Whiten due to widespread European immigration, which many don't realize in regards to Latin American countries. You can find communities in each of these countries with high to overwhelmingly Black populations.

Mexico has a concentration of Blacks on the Caribbean and Pacific Coasts. This is pretty much the case with Latin American countries outside of Maroon/runaway communities and select cities, with maybe the Ibarra area of Ecuador.

That Colombian percentage really throws me off due to around 25%-30% of the country's people having African descent. This says 26%: Refworld | World Directory of Minorities and Indigenous Peoples - Colombia : Afro-Colombians

Even the African American figures seem to depend on the study, with many going as high as 80% African, if not slightly higher.
Here's an interesting paper I just was linked to which looks at (in part) geographic variance in admixture in several Latin American countries.

You can see on Figure 1 there is significant variance in black admixture in Columbia depending upon where you go. Most of Colombia has very little (e.g, less than 10%) black admixture. But around the Caribbean and especially the Pacific coast, there are enclaves where most people are over half African.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2015, 09:30 PM
 
55,206 posts, read 78,905,589 times
Reputation: 12187
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Here's an interesting paper I just was linked to which looks at (in part) geographic variance in admixture in several Latin American countries.

You can see on Figure 1 there is significant variance in black admixture in Columbia depending upon where you go. Most of Colombia has very little (e.g, less than 10%) black admixture. But around the Caribbean and especially the Pacific coast, there are enclaves where most people are over half African.
That is based on a very small sample over 5 different countries.

I knew that about Colombia, but when the Pacific Coast has overwhelmingly Black communities in terms of percentage, that Black percentage seems to be very low. This is especially considering that anywhere from 11-26% of the country is Black or of Black African descent.

I also wouldn't compare African Americans to a whole country, but compare the Black/African descent populations of those countries.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-03-2015 at 09:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 12:05 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,507 posts, read 2,880,003 times
Reputation: 2723
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMotts View Post
Despite the West Coast having more integrated cities, I went with the East Coast.
Does the West Coast really have more integrated cities though? I've heard more integrated suburbs, because of different development patterns, but for city propers? Genuinely curious. I've been to Seattle and San Francisco, which generally didn't seem that more integrated to me compared to the East. Never been to Los Angeles, which I guess is the big fish in this thread, so is that different? I always thought LA city proper was pretty segregated, too (East LA=Mexican, South LA=Black, Westside=White, etc.). Genuinely curious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 11:29 PM
 
117 posts, read 100,527 times
Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Some famous Black New Yorkers of at least partial West Indian ancestry.

Lou Alcindor (Trinidadian)
Eric Holder (Bajan)
Christopher Wallace (Jamaican)
Gwen Ifill (Bajan)
Grandmaster Flash (Bajan)
Afrika Bambaataa (Bajan/Jamaican)
Tatyana Ali (Trinidadian/Bajan/Panamanian)
Q-Tip (Montserrat)
Phife Dawg (Trinidadian)
Busta Rhymes (Jamaican)
Nia Long (Trinidadian/Grenadian)
Colin Powell (Jamaican)
Nicki Minaj (Trinidadian)
Doug E. Fresh (Bajan)
Kerry Washington (Jamaican)
KRS-One (Jamaican)
DJ Red Alert (Antiguan)
Foxy Brown (Trinidadian)
Bill Thompson (Kittian)
Joey Bada$$ (Lucian)

Bias list. Missing all the Haitian artist such as Tony yayo, DJ Whoo Kid, Wyclef Jean (How do you to mention him ), Capone, some members of the Fugees (Again how do you forget to mention such legends ), Trugoy of DE LA SOUL, and MC TEE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 11:43 PM
 
117 posts, read 100,527 times
Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The history of race construction in the U.S. is interesting. Just think about the range of "Blackness" that exists in America.

Oprah Winfrey
Adam Clayton Powell
Halle Berry
W.E.B Du Bois
Wesley Snipes
Amerie Rogers
Julian Bond
Esperanza Spalding
Gina Torres
Inga Marchand
Huey Newton
Mya Harrison
La La Vasquez
Arthur Schomburg
Edward Brooke
Steph Curry
Lauren Velez
Nicki Minaj
Forest Whitaker
Zoe Saldana
Paula Patton
Rosario Dawson
Tatyana Ali

Du Bois, in particular, is considered the pre-eminent and most influential Black intellectual in American history, even though he was half White.

This is why so many people come to the U.S. from the Caribbean and Latin America and can't quite come to terms with our notions of race. In what world does it make any sense to put Halle Berry and Wesley Snipes into the same racial category? But that's the reality of America. So for Hispanics who have noticeable African ancestry, and that's a very large number of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, you or your children are likely to be immersed in the Black American experience to some degree whether you like it or not.
DU BOIS is Haitian.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top