U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better relations?
West Coast 29 26.36%
East Coast 74 67.27%
Similar 7 6.36%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 03:19 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,201,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I honestly believe that with the Mexicans in NYC and anywhere on the East Coast, it’s more of a passive aggressive thing between not only blacks, but Latinos, especially amongst so-called Afro Latinos (Puerto Ricans and Dominicans). In fact, the biggest perpetrators between the jumping of Mexicans immigrants in NYC happened to be Puerto Rican’s and Dominicans. Blacks just tended to follow whatever the Puerto Ricans and Dominicans were doing.

As for blacks, I feel the real tension happens to fall in two issues: employment and living areas. In some black communities, there were incidents of the knockout game and robberies in Brooklyn and Staten Island towards Mexican immigrants by black and even Latino youth. And there are black folk who feel that the Mexican immigrants are encroaching, take the jobs for less, don’t pay taxes, and some suspect have tried to take over portions of the drug game, and I believe that it leans that way amongst the black community.

For Puerto Rican’s and Dominicans, it’s more of an issue with numbers and culture, since for the longest, those two groups have at least been the first and second largest Latino groups in the city, and before the 2000’s, Mexicans were a small 1% of NYC’s population. Now that number had swelled to 3-4%, but with President Trump in office, I’m pretty sure the Mexican population has fallen steadily and by 2020, it will fall to 2%, especially if Trump gets re-elected at the same year.

I have a wild prediction to make and in the distant future, Cubans may come to NYC, especially if Cuba reopens it’s relations to America, they’re not only going to be migrating to Miami and Florida, but also to the East Coast (from RI to DE) and even along the Gulf Coast (TX to AL) and GA. Cubans will also be the largest Latino group in not only FL, but in GA, AL, and LA, and a significant presence in Houston, while Dominicans will predominate in RI, NH, ME, and maybe NY. Puerto Ricans will still hold it down in MA, CT, NJ, PA, DE, OH, and even MI!!!
The Mexican population in NYC appears to be GROWING from my observations. More Mexican owned businesses are opening up and their presence is spreading. Plus there are already plenty of 18-25 year old New York Mexicans and some of them have kids already. They also appear to be surviving gentrification better than blacks and Puerto Ricans and they might even be benefitting off it.

I don't think there's tension between Mexicans and blacks in NYC, but I wouldn't say they're closd either. But quite a few Mexicans copy black fashion and slang.

As for Philly, you missed Mexicans and it seems like their population in South Philly is growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 02:56 AM

886 posts, read 986,870 times
The perplexing thing about the icy relations between African Americans and Mexican Americans in the L.A. area is that it's a byproduct of the warm relations between the Aryan Brotherhood and the Mexican Mafia in California's state prison system.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:53 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,201,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
The perplexing thing about the icy relations between African Americans and Mexican Americans in the L.A. area is that it's a byproduct of the warm relations between the Aryan Brotherhood and the Mexican Mafia in California's state prison system.
I wouldn't be surprised if the tension is exaggerated

Old 03-30-2019, 12:25 PM

123 posts, read 213,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The Mexican population in NYC appears to be GROWING from my observations. More Mexican owned businesses are opening up and their presence is spreading. Plus there are already plenty of 18-25 year old New York Mexicans and some of them have kids already. They also appear to be surviving gentrification better than blacks and Puerto Ricans and they might even be benefitting off it.

I don't think there's tension between Mexicans and blacks in NYC, but I wouldn't say they're closd either. But quite a few Mexicans copy black fashion and slang.

As for Philly, you missed Mexicans and it seems like their population in South Philly is growing.
The Mexican population seems to be growing but last time I checked, there seems to be a net decline in Mexicans coming to the US. Itís been that way for almost a decade and now with Trump in office, I expect that negative flow to further increase, since Mueller ended his investigations and Trump has started to gain funding for a border wall, which will happen.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:22 PM

253 posts, read 106,038 times
East for sure, but it depends on the city. Philly much less so than New York historically.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:05 PM

1,246 posts, read 334,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
The Mexican population seems to be growing but last time I checked, there seems to be a net decline in Mexicans coming to the US. Itís been that way for almost a decade and now with Trump in office, I expect that negative flow to further increase, since Mueller ended his investigations and Trump has started to gain funding for a border wall, which will happen.
There are already enough Mexicans in the US, their population will keep growing just by reproducing. NYC's Mexican population as of now is very low income, meaning larger families.

Old Today, 02:12 PM

123 posts, read 213,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
There are already enough Mexicans in the US, their population will keep growing just by reproducing. NYC's Mexican population as of now is very low income, meaning larger families.
So will every other ethnic group as long as their reproducing themselves and thereís a constant flow of immigrants from certain countries. Right now, the Northeast has the lowest amounts of Mexicans in the country while the Southwest and West Coast has one of the highest. And thatís a fact. At one time during the last decade, Mexicans flooded NYC and Philadelphia in huge numbers, a lot of demographers falsely predicted that Mexicans would become the largest Latino group in both of those cities. So far, that hasnít happened and the only way Mexicans will become the dominant Latino group in the Northeast is when hell freezes over: its just not going to happen.

You have to understand that geography, weather, and the current political climate is the reason why Mexicans arenít growing as rapidly as they once were in the Northeast and the South. Some may stay, but because the country seems to be tilting more to the right because nowadays, many Democrats arenít making any sense with gender choice, LGBT rights, employment rights, and healthcare. The Dems have veered so far to the left, theyíre completely unrecognizable than when Clinton was in the White House.

Right now, Trump is going to have it much easier in 2020 than in 2016 simply because thereís no Dem that can really go Mano a mani with him. Bernie is done and Biden, the top contender for 2020 is already having problems with his campaign. And Iíll be a little bit bold by saying that there will be another Rep president after Trump leaves office in 2024 simple being the economy is doing much better than when Obama was in the WH and many of his goals (the wall, healthcare, reversing Obamaís policies) will have already been implemented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City