U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better relations?
West Coast 28 27.18%
East Coast 68 66.02%
Similar 7 6.80%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 02:52 PM

6,863 posts, read 7,716,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's hard to find that in CT, too. Constance Baker Motley, who is probably the most famous Black person from Connecticut, was the child of West Indian immigrants.

Constance Baker Motley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I forgot to mention Philly. Not that much WIs there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 02:54 PM

27,611 posts, read 24,793,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I forgot to mention Philly. Not that much WIs there.
That's true.

Blacks, WIs, PRs and DRs are sort of like the Irish and Italians who came to NYC--a lot of intermixing.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:06 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,755,671 times
TBH, I'm not too knowledgeable on this topic. I do know that back in the day, there were organizing efforts between the Black Panthers and Brown Berets in California. I also know that there is tension between black and Mexican/Salvadorean gangs. I bolded gangs, because gangs don't necessarily represent the average person. Culturally, Mexicans weren't as strongly involved in the hip hop movement as Puerto Ricans/Dominicans were back east. Our scene out west has been dominated by punk/rock with Chicano Rock and Punk.

Otherwise...in OC, most of the blacks I know aren't traditional African Americans. We had Guyanese, Nigerians, Jamaicans, Ethiopians, Somalians etc. My long time best friend's family on her mother side is traditionally African American with long established roots in Georgia, but she is also half Chinese and she actually has felt more comfortable (culturally) around Mexicans and Asians than AA's. She was also raised Catholic. Another dude in my school was half black half Japanese, and my 'black' neighbors are actually half Mexican.

To think of it, I didn't meet any 'traditional' (with slave/southern ancestries) AA's until college at CSULB, as Long Beach has a vibrant black community. All the blacks in school/community were either immigrants, children of immigrants, or of mixed ancestries.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:06 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,307,283 times
The south.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:45 PM

27,611 posts, read 24,793,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
To think of it, I didn't meet any 'traditional' (with slave/southern ancestries) AA's until college at CSULB, as Long Beach has a vibrant black community. All the blacks in school/community were either immigrants, children of immigrants, or of mixed ancestries.
You must have never met anyone from Compton. The vast majority of Blacks in Greater Los Angeles are the descendants of people who migrated from Texas and Louisiana and other southern states during the Second Great Migration. There also seems to be a number of Blacks in California who have roots in Midwestern states (Serena and Venus Williams come to mind) though I've never quite understood why. It's just something I've noticed over the years.

The Black community in New York has been mixed for a very long time. You had the first wave of Caribbean migration during the early 20th Century. Bajans and Jamaicans migrated to NYC in heavy numbers after the completion of the Panama Canal. Then you had another larger stream of immigration that started in the late 60s. Over time, the traditional Black presence has come to be dominated by the immigrant Black presence, though as one poster stated, second or third generation West Indians aren't that distinguishable from any other Black people.

What's a bit unusual about the Tri-State area is that you have Black people whose great grandparents immigrated to New York in the 1920s. On the West Coast, you probably have a lot less of that.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:48 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,589,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
East Coast. The two largest Hispanic groups in the Northeast, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, have African ancestry. With a lot of Dominicans, you won't even know they are Hispanic until they start speaking Spanish.

Plus, Fat Joe and Angie Martinez drop the N-Word regularly and nobody seems to care. A Mexican or Guatemalan couldn't get away with that.
I totally agree with you everything you wrote on this topic, the Mexicans and blacks gangs are killing each left and right in LA and I said that on a California thread and all the locals get upset and started to troll me because they couldn't handle the truth. Blacks and Latinos get well really well for the most part on the East Coast and even in the Midwest and South. Totally agree with you man on your posts, keep up the good fight man.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:51 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,589,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
The south.
The Latinos and blacks are pretty close with each other and get along well in the South I agree.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:55 PM

267 posts, read 212,050 times
Nice Thread! Specifically, which cities on the East Coast have the best African American/Latino relations?

Old 02-27-2015, 03:55 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,755,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I totally agree with you everything you wrote on this topic, the Mexicans and blacks gangs are killing each left and right in LA and I said that on a California thread and all the locals get upset and started to troll me because they couldn't handle the truth. Blacks and Latinos get well really well for the most part on the East Coast and even in the Midwest and South. Totally agree with you man on your posts, keep up the good fight man.
Perhaps because that is a gang issue and not one that necessarily correlates down to the average jose day to day life.

The majority of my family is from Sinaloa. The Sinaloa Cartel and La Familia, from the Mexican state of Michoacan, are at each other's throats. Does that mean that people from those two states dislike each other? No. It's just criminals fighting for turf, not representative of the actual relationship everyday people have with each other.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:56 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,956,970 times
It varies. On the streets, I'd definitely say Eastcoast. But in the prison system, it seems Black Dominicans/Puerto Ricans are just as segregated from Black Americans/West Indians, as Mexicans and Blacks on the Westcoast. The Eastcoast incarnation of the Bloods(UBN) was formed on Rikers Island, to protect Black inmates from the dominance and swift organization of Puerto Ricans inmates. The NYC incarnation of the Latin Kings brought organization to Latinos on Rikers Island. It seems any brotherhood Blacks and Latinos had on the streets, would deteriorate in the NY prison system. And it seems like the arrival of Chicago(Latin Kings) and Los Angeles(Bloods and Crips) gangs on the NYC streets and in the NYC prison system have negatively affected relations between Blacks and Latinos in NYC. Would the series of stabbings of Black gangmembers at the Puerto Rican Day and Dominican Day Parades have happened in the 1970's at the same rate they happened in the 00's? But alas, the creation of homegrown NYC Latino gangs like Trinitarios(Dominicans) and Netas(Puerto Ricans) that are more nationalist-driven(instead of merely racially driven) have driven a wedge even amongst Latinos themselves. Looks like NYC is copying the Cali model. Not only is there tension between Blacks and Mexicans, but there's the Civil War between Nortenos(Northern California Mexican gang members aligned under Nuestra Familia prison organized crime syndicate) and Surenos(Southern California Mexicans gang members aligned under the Mexican Mafia prison organized crime syndicate). Interestingly enough, Blacks and Mexicans in Northern California, might have a relationship just as close as Blacks and Latinos on the eastcoast. That closeness and familiarity between Black Northern Californians and Mexican Northern Californians is often viewed as another flaw in which Southern California Mexicans can point out and berate Northern California Mexicans with. This just shows how much love loss there is between Blacks and Mexicans in SoCal compared to Blacks and Mexicans in NorCal. Of course though, there are pockets of harmony in SoCal. Los Angeles Neighborhoods such as Watts that have had Blacks and Mexicans live side by side for decades, have maintained a level of report and peace between each other, that have been forged by the decades of extreme racism and hostility the two groups have experienced at the hands of Whites. The relationship is so deep in parts of Watts, that miscegenation is common between the two groups, and has been common for decades. But overall, relationship between Black and Mexicans in Northern California are alot smoother than that Blacks and Mexicans in Southern California. It's not at ALL uncommon for NorCal Mexicans/Bay Area Chicanos(Mexican Americans) to use the N-Word as a term of endearment. Whether they're using it in their Hip-Hop music or in casual conversation. They'll use "*****" towards their Black homeboys AND they'll use it towards their fellow Mexican homeboys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City