Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better relations?
West Coast 40 25.97%
East Coast 105 68.18%
Similar 9 5.84%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 04:42 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Yea in the Bay Area and especially in certain integrated communities Asians and Latinos are both free to use the N word around AA's and in music. Hell, in Oakland, a lot of whites can too. The record label Black-N-Brown Entertainment comes to mind as well.
Yep, Black-N-Brown ENT, and Thizz Latin both come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 04:46 PM

I'd definitely equate NorCal to NYC as far as Black and Brown relations go.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:49 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, well, I don't think Black people anywhere else would be too hot on that.
Yea I don't doubt that. I remember when nationally people were freaking out over V Nasty's use of the N word (probably rightfully so) and all the Oakland and Bay Area artists (sans Ise Lyfe) came to her defense. Arguing that parts of Oakland (in this case East Oakland) are very integrated and it's common to have neighborhoods comprised of different races not only mingling but going through many of the same hardships together so that word's meaning has expanded around there or whatever.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:50 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4gx6RWEE6KE

Old 02-27-2015, 04:55 PM

267 posts, read 303,203 times
Quote:
Yea in the Bay Area and especially in certain integrated communities Asians and Latinos are both free to use the N word around AA's and in music. Hell, in Oakland, a lot of whites can too. The record label Black-N-Brown Entertainment comes to mind as well.
Though there's nothing a person can say who is of West European descent that would offend me personally, I know a lot of African Americans where this wouldn't fly. To the European Americans who argue they should be able to use the "N" word as freely as they wish, my advice is, "Go ahead!" ... Go spouting off and use it in a crowd wherever you wish, sooner or later I'm sure someone will correct you, and let you know they don't appreciate being called that.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:00 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
The South Coast. Texas, Louisiana, and Gulf Florida.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:00 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,060 times
Who is arguing they should be able to use the N word?

Old 02-27-2015, 05:01 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
We're so open minded and forward thinking in the Bay Area we have erased any negative connotation with racial slurs where we are all free to call each other the N-word. You guys need to get on our level.....

Anyways, perhaps some groups in the straight ghetto do that but that statement just seems bizarre to me.
Haha. I have no idea. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a Mexican or an Asian calling me the N-Word, but that's just me. In theory, I shouldn't really feel comfortable with anyone calling me that, but in reality I'm not bothered when other Black people say it (including most Puerto Ricans and Dominicans).

For the most part, I think Blacks and Puerto Ricans on the East Coast intermix heavily for the following reasons:

-They have largely been trapped in the same ghettos since the 1940s and 50s
-Phenotypical similarities, particularly among Dominicans
-Music has strong African influences

Those are the ones I can think of offhand. A lot of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans girls just look like light-skinned Black girls, so for a lot of Black guys (and women, on the flipside), it's always been a way to date exotic without stepping too far out there.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:07 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Yea I don't doubt that. I remember when nationally people were freaking out over V Nasty's use of the N word (probably rightfully so) and all the Oakland and Bay Area artists (sans Ise Lyfe) came to her defense. Arguing that parts of Oakland (in this case East Oakland) are very integrated and it's common to have neighborhoods comprised of different races not only mingling but going through many of the same hardships together so that word's meaning has expanded around there or whatever.
That's all well and good but there's a difference between being cool with Black people and actually being Black. Many Dominicans, much to their chagrin, are essentially Black, and most people wouldn't recognize them as anything else based on appearances alone.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:10 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
East Coast. The two largest Hispanic groups in the Northeast, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, have African ancestry. With a lot of Dominicans, you won't even know they are Hispanic until they start speaking Spanish.

Plus, Fat Joe and Angie Martinez drop the N-Word regularly and nobody seems to care. A Mexican or Guatemalan couldn't get away with that.
They can and do. Mexicans in Texas say n---- all the time and no one cares. Unbeknownst to most (including themselves), many Mexicans do indeed have some African heritage in their bloodline and culture, it's simply less visible than in other Latin countries with more recent Afro contact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City