U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Better relations?
West Coast 28 27.18%
East Coast 68 66.02%
Similar 7 6.80%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-27-2015, 05:13 PM
 
1,462 posts, read 1,504,666 times
Reputation: 1019

Advertisements

I was only responding to this line from your first post: "Plus, Fat Joe and Angie Martinez drop the N-Word regularly and nobody seems to care. A Mexican or Guatemalan couldn't get away with that."

And in agreement to something polo said at the bottom of his / her first post.

EDIT: and now in agreement to what the poster above said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2015, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,793,924 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
They can and do. Mexicans in Texas say n---- all the time and no one cares.
I find that hard to believe, but it's City-Data, so it's not like this assertion can be disproven. You also have posters saying that White people in the Bay Area call Black people the N-Word with little care or consequence. Apparently, Oscar Grant would disagree.

I consider Texas Blacks to be very culturally Black (Steve Harvey/Tom Joyner listeners, etc.) much like Blacks in Atlanta (or even Philly) so I have a hard time seeing that fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Unbeknownst to most (including themselves), many Mexicans do indeed have some African heritage in their bloodline and culture, it's simply less visible than in other Latin countries with more recent Afro contact.
You could say that about a lot of different people. I'm talking about noticeable African features and cultural influences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2015, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,793,924 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
I was only responding to this line from your first post: "Plus, Fat Joe and Angie Martinez drop the N-Word regularly and nobody seems to care. A Mexican or Guatemalan couldn't get away with that."

And in agreement to something polo said at the bottom of his / her first post.

EDIT: and now in agreement to what the poster above said.
I guess the difference is that Fat Joe drops it on songs with Lil' Wayne and other famous rappers that people actually know about. Black people in general don't care, regardless of where they are in America, because Puerto Ricans at large are seen as a Black/Spanish hybrid. Mexicans and Guatemalans, on the other hand, are not.

I mean, Robin Thicke is way "Blacker" than any Mexican I can think of. And Black women desire him in a very sexual way. But nobody would be cool with him dropping the N-Word. And honestly, Robin Thicke has chartered deeper into Black America than any non-Black person other than Bill Clinton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2015, 05:29 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,793,924 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
So where are the Black people in this video?

"I got a hundred guns, a hundred clips, N****, I'm from New York."


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H7dxtPXLSQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2015, 05:29 PM
 
1,462 posts, read 1,504,666 times
Reputation: 1019
You are so weird about celebrities (not just this thread) and speaking for everyone that I don't even know how to respond to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2015, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,793,924 times
Reputation: 11185
Angie drops the N-Word about 5 times during this song. Plus, she's in Black movies that Black people actually watch like Brown Sugar.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYlL4C9358s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2015, 05:37 PM
 
14,006 posts, read 21,956,970 times
Reputation: 4085
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So where are the Black people in this video?

"I got a hundred guns, a hundred clips, N****, I'm from New York."


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H7dxtPXLSQ
There were Black folks in the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2015, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,793,924 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
You are so weird about celebrities (not just this thread) and speaking for everyone that I don't even know how to respond to that.
It's not about being a celebrity. It's about being accepted by Black culture. There are no Mexicans or Asians that have been accepted by Black culture the way a Fat Joe, Big Pun, Rosie Perez or Angie Martinez have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2015, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,793,924 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
There were Black folks in the back.
I didn't see any. Either way, if you're going to use a video about hip hop as an example of how close Latinos and Blacks are on the West Coast, then that wasn't a very good one.

Being into rap music and hip hop culture in general doesn't mean much. They say that young White kids are the biggest consumers of hip hop and many of them live in all White suburbs and have all White friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2015, 05:46 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 3,807,303 times
Reputation: 4289
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I find that hard to believe, but it's City-Data, so it's not like this assertion can be disproven. You also have posters saying that White people in the Bay Area call Black people the N-Word with little care or consequence. Apparently, Oscar Grant would disagree.

I consider Texas Blacks to be very culturally Black (Steve Harvey/Tom Joyner listeners, etc.) much like Blacks in Atlanta (or even Philly) so I have a hard time seeing that fly.
I can't speak on the Bay Area. I can only speak on Texas, which is where I was born and raised. I have no reason to lie to you.

What experience do you have with the relationship between Blacks and Mexicans in Texas that makes you so certain this couldn't be true?



Quote:
You could say that about a lot of different people. I'm talking about noticeable African features and cultural influences.
Then look no further than the Costa Chica, a region of Mexico where you have a concentration of natives with visible African ancestry (dark skin, kinky hair, full lips). As a matter of fact you could go right down to Texas where you have "Blaxicans" ie people with one black and one Mexican parent, and look a lot like you would expect a Dominican or Puerto Rican to but still identify with their Mexican roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top