U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better relations?
West Coast 28 27.18%
East Coast 68 66.02%
Similar 7 6.80%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 03:16 PM

105 posts, read 138,889 times

Advertisements

I personally think the Black/Latino relation is much better in the East coast mainly due to the type of Hispanics (Dominican and Puerto Ricans) that live there. They all have African heritage that binds them to some extent but out West the Hispanics are mostly mestizos and their culture is much different. The black population is decreasing in California and it is currently only 6% and is expected to be 4% in a couple of decades. The majority of Hispanics I know in California are more into Alternative music and skater culture than black culture so naturally they gravitate towards whites and Asians than blacks. Black neighborhoods are disapperaring as Hispanics drive them out and that is all you need to know regarding this topic on relations between Hispanics and blacks out West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 03:43 PM

27,611 posts, read 24,793,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNHot75 View Post
I personally think the Black/Latino relation is much better in the East coast mainly due to the type of Hispanics (Dominican and Puerto Ricans) that live there. They all have African heritage that binds them to some extent but out West the Hispanics are mostly mestizos and their culture is much different. The black population is decreasing in California and it is currently only 6% and is expected to be 4% in a couple of decades. The majority of Hispanics I know in California are more into Alternative music and skater culture than black culture so naturally they gravitate towards whites and Asians than blacks. Black neighborhoods are disapperaring as Hispanics drive them out and that is all you need to know regarding this topic on relations between Hispanics and blacks out West.
The one thing all Caribbean people (and people of the greater African diaspora) have in common is hip movement. If you can't dance, you might as well give it up.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:55 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPf4PV_PCHs

Old 02-28-2015, 04:00 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,956,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
NYC doesn't have the gang culture that LA has which helps, Mexicans and blacks fighting over ghetto parts of South Central nobody wants to live in anyway.
I've already posted video of a former inmate discussing racial conflict between Puerto Ricans and Blacks on Rikers Island.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:47 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,956,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually, Blacks and Latinos have lived side by side since the 1940s in the Bay Area as well when thousands of Blacks migrated from the South to the West Coast, and Hispanics were already here. LA too.

I dont mind you guys telling us about where you live, but you all dont seem to really know enough about the west coast to presume things. ijs.
I stand corrected. My apologies.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:42 PM

31,575 posts, read 53,103,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I stand corrected. My apologies.
No apologies necessary.

I think it goes without saying that because such a high proportion of Latinos in the East are also Black, that means there might be more physical similarities.

Culturally though, it's really not as simple. Sure, Black Latinos might gravitate to certain aspects of African American culture, nonetheless, we are still talking about two distinct cultures, languages, traditions and social norms.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No apologies necessary.

I think it goes without saying that because such a high proportion of Latinos in the East are also Black, that means there might be more physical similarities.

Culturally though, it's really not as simple. Sure, Black Latinos might gravitate to certain aspects of African American culture, nonetheless, we are still talking about two distinct cultures, languages, traditions and social norms.
It's true that they are different cultures, traditions, and social norms, which is also true between Black Americans and Black West Indians. The language issue is not as much of an issue as it is on the West Coast since many Nuyoricans don't speak Spanish.

Quote:
But it turns out my penchant for English isn't unique for a mainland Puerto Rican, according to a survey of American Latinos by NPR, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the Harvard School of Public Health. Given a choice between answering a gamut of questions about their lives in Spanish or in English, 78 percent of the Puerto Rican respondents chose English, significantly more than any other Latino group. According to the poll, only 20 percent of Puerto Ricans speak Spanish at home, less than half the percentage for respondents overall. (The poll didn't include respondents in Puerto Rico, only Puerto Rican respondents living on the U.S. mainland.)
English Only? For Mainland Puerto Ricans, The Answer Is Often 'Yes' : Code Switch : NPR

Old 02-28-2015, 06:15 PM

584 posts, read 1,076,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So every time you post a video, I'm hoping that you'll eventually get to one that (1) has Black people in it and (2) actually reaches a broad African American audience. Examples of West Coast artists who reach a broad audience are Kendrick Lamar, Schoolboy Q, Dom Kennedy, anybody else from T.D.E., Snoop, Too $hort, Dre, E-40, etc. What you're showing are Mexican rappers who are mimicking expressive elements of Black youth identity (and only a limited aspect at that). The same could be said of rappers like Iggy Azalea.

It's not a coastal thing as it is a Black Hispanic thing. I mean, when you look at the Hispanics who are prominently featured in Black media (meaning they'll be featured in Jet, Ebony or Essence), they are almost always of Caribbean ancestry.

Gina Torres (I Think L Love My Wife/Cuban)
Lisa Vidal (Being Mary Jane/Puerto Rican)
Melissa De Sousa (The Best Man/Panamanian)
Lauren Velez (New York Undercover/Puerto Rican)
Rosario Dawson (He Got Game/Puerto Rican)
Christina Milian (Love Don't Cost a Thing/Cuban)
Las Alonso (Jumping the Broom/Cuban)
Dania Ramirez (She Hate Me/Dominican)
Zoe Saldana (Drumline/Dominican)
Rosie Perez (Do the Right Thing/Puerto Rican)
Antonio Fargas (Any Spike Lee Joint/Puerto Rican)

It's sort of interesting that you don't have many Hispanic actors/actresses period, but the ones who regularly get parts are typically of Caribbean background, and those parts usually come via shows and movies that target African American audiences.
Why does it have to reach a wide "black" audience? The culture in Northern California is about integration between blacks and Latinos, period. People that listen to Kendrick Lamar, Schoolboy Q etc. outside of the West Coast weren't even checking for Cali Rap, period, after the Game fell off. You're a gigantic clown if all you check for is mainstream Hip Hop. It shows you have no talent worth supporting in your hometown. Where I'm from in the Bay Area, people pay little attention to the mainstream and most support is shown to local artists. This is why we took such a large hit with the death of the Jacka nearly a month ago. And the Jacka was much more talented and prolific than Kendrick Lamar.

If you've never lived in Northern California, you could never understand. All races intermingle in the streets of the ghetto and may engage in criminal activities together, but a firmly rooted sense in your own race never vanishes. You have to go home to your own family at the end of the day. There is no such thing as "acting black". Accusing someone of that in the hood in Northern California can get you killed. Being "hood" and being "black" are not the same thing. Carlton Banks can't rap. Otherwise, the suburbs would be a hotbed of culture, which they are not. Drake does not count because he bought his way into Rap music. Kanye West, although raised in the 'burbs, had ghetto roots. If race=culture, where are all the good sheltered suburban black rappers in the mainstream? Hip Hop comes from the ghetto and Latinos helped pioneer that in the Bronx.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:15 PM

Harlem World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBGUFzGnsII

Old 02-28-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
You have to go home to your own family at the end of the day. There is no such thing as "acting black".
There is definitely such a thing as "acting black." And it's usually non-Black people who associate Blackness primarily with hip hop, which has to be the most superficial aspect of African American culture to ever exist. That's no different from Iggy or Eminem.

My point was that Caribbean Hispanics are more immersed in the Black American experience because they are actually part of the African diaspora. That's why there is no Mexican or Nicaraguan version of Rosario Dawson or Hosea Chanchez in Black media. And that's also why Black Diasporic studies focus more on the Caribbean than they do on Mexico and Central America.

I mean, if you want to find some scholarly study that talks about Black-Hispanic relations in the Bay Area, I'd rather read those than watch videos of wack rappers who can't even get a video onto BET Uncut. When it comes to Black-Hispanic relations in the NYC area, it's well-documented, and has been addressed by scholars like Henry Louis Gates.

I feel like it's kind of stupid to argue that people who aren't Black are closer to people who actually are (or even have a comparable relationship). You might as well argue that Bay Area Filipinos are tighter with Black people than Brooklyn Jamaicans are with Black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City