Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better relations?
West Coast 40 25.97%
East Coast 105 68.18%
Similar 9 5.84%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 01:03 AM

12,000 posts, read 12,842,421 times

Advertisements

Peedi Crakk is a Puerto Rican rapper from Philly. I don't think Jay-Z is appearing in too many music videos with Mexican rappers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5LASJm1HdY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 01:09 AM

36,625 posts, read 67,123,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I'm sure there are many Black Latinos with extreme fame in the Black community, who are household names in the Black community:

Carmelo Anthony
Harry Belafonte
Sammy Davis Jr.
Rosario Dawson
True, but they are Black first and foremost in the minds of most African Americans and they are famous nationwide, not just on the East Coast.

So is the East Coast a better incubator for Black Latinos looking to break into the entertainment industry? Sure, why not.

But that is not among the most important indicators of the general state of relations between Hispanics and African Americans.

What about incidents of black/ hispanic crime?

What about the number of biracial households comprised of blacks and hispanics?

What about how many of these 2 groups have graduated out of inner city ghettos and into middle class suburbs?

And so forth.

Those statistics arent as sexy as youtube vids but they are more meaningful than some chick who sings.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:14 AM

12,000 posts, read 12,842,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
True, but they are Black first and foremost in the minds of most African Americans and they are famous nationwide, not just on the East Coast.

So is the East Coast a better incubator for Black Latinos looking to break into the entertainment industry? Sure, why not.

But that is not among the most important indicators of the general state of relations between Hispanics and African Americans.

What about how many of these 2 groups have graduated out of inner city ghettos and into middle class suburbs?

And so forth.

Those statistics arent as sexy as youtube vids but they are more meaningful than some chick who sings.
True and the Bay Area does seem to do very well in that regard-but not so much Southern California.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:34 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,774,282 times
You gotta love when people talk about a region as if they live there, when they actually don't.

Yes, Mexicans use the "N" word in California and the West.
Yes, Mexicans and Blacks get along and live with each other out West.
Yes, Mexicans and Blacks out West connect with each other.
Yes, Mexicans and Blacks date and marry each other out West.
Yes, Mexicans and Blacks appreciate each other's culture out West.

Now, please, those of you who've never lived out West, refrain from making ignorant comments.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:22 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,733,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I'm sure there are many Black Latinos with extreme fame in the Black community, who are household names in the Black community:

Carmelo Anthony
Harry Belafonte
Sammy Davis Jr.
Rosario Dawson
Sports players receive household name status regardless of ethnicity. Davis was only of part Cuban descent, and he was largely known for his contributions to black culture not Latino culture. Belafonte is not part Latino. He's Jamaican and Martiniquan. I would not say Rosario Dawson is a household name.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Peedi Crakk is a Puerto Rican rapper from Philly. I don't think Jay-Z is appearing in too many music videos with Mexican rappers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5LASJm1HdY
Well here's a Mexican rapper in a black music video. Saying n---- and everything.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:16 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,135,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I can actually vouch for what he's saying. In general, Black-Mexican relations here in Texas are very good. It's not uncommon to hear Mexicans calling each other the n-word, or even using it around black friends. Since Texas is a huge state, there are definitely instances where there can be some race-based turbulence between black and brown here, but overall it's a much better relationship than Cali. It's usually understood when everything is all in love and when it isn't.
Not my experience at all.

I lived in an apartment complex in Houston that was divided between latinos (primarily Mexicans) and blacks (primarily African-Americans but also many immigrants from Africa). The apartment complex had hundreds of units, took up several Houston blocks and had a capacity for over a thousand people. You could get lost just driving through the gated property.

To a statistician I'm sure this apartment complex would get high points for integration. After all blacks and Mexicans were sharing it. But on the day to day to live, everyone segregated.

Blacks hung around Blacks. Mexicans with Mexicans. This was made even more poignant that they shared a space and could easily fraternize. What was striking, and something I didn't put fully together until I was responding to you, was it seemed that when blacks were hanging out in mass I never saw Mexicans and opposite. This could lead you to completely pegging the demographics wrong if you just drove through it once. I'm not sure what the reason was for the behavior, lifestyle or simply avoidance.

Finally, slightly before I left for good, one 15-year old girl was raped in the complex, in broad daylight by some black guy. The race of the girl wasn't mentioned but I suspected she was Mexican because almost immediately Mexicans began organizing in the community as "neighborhood watches." Pretty striking because before, muggings were rampant and nothing really happened. I'd occasionally see their group, and not surprisingly there were no blacks in their group.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Not my experience at all.

I lived in an apartment complex in Houston that was divided between latinos (primarily Mexicans) and blacks (primarily African-Americans but also many immigrants from Africa). The apartment complex had hundreds of units, took up several Houston blocks and had a capacity for over a thousand people. You could get lost just driving through the gated property.

To a statistician I'm sure this apartment complex would get high points for integration. After all blacks and Mexicans were sharing it. But on the day to day to live, everyone segregated.

Blacks hung around Blacks. Mexicans with Mexicans. This was made even more poignant that they shared a space and could easily fraternize. What was striking, and something I didn't put fully together until I was responding to you, was it seemed that when blacks were hanging out in mass I never saw Mexicans and opposite. This could lead you to completely pegging the demographics wrong if you just drove through it once. I'm not sure what the reason was for the behavior, lifestyle or simply avoidance.

Finally, slightly before I left for good, one 15-year old girl was raped in the complex, in broad daylight by some black guy. The race of the girl wasn't mentioned but I suspected she was Mexican because almost immediately Mexicans began organizing in the community as "neighborhood watches." Pretty striking because before, muggings were rampant and nothing really happened. I'd occasionally see their group, and not surprisingly there were no blacks in their group.
Well, it's like Uthorn just said. Texas is a large state, so in some areas there may be friction. But I've found that this is typically the case with recent Mexican immigrants and black transplants from other areas who may not be accustomed to living around Latinos. If you were in an apartment complex, the likelihood of such a demographic makeup skyrockets. But go to a more established Houston neighborhood like East Houston or Acres Homes and you will see both groups getting along well for the most part. Uthorn and I are native Texans. We know what we're saying.

Anytime you have two different groups coexisting, there will not always be harmony. Even in NY, Blacks and Latinos have their issues, as it has already been mentioned in this thread.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:52 AM

31,862 posts, read 34,362,591 times
Quote:
I don't think Rosario Dawson is black "first and foremost in the minds of most African Americans." But even for the ones who are, it sort of underscores an important point, which is that "Hispanic" is not a race. On the West Coast, the two seem more distinct because the vast majority of Hispanics are mestizo, but on the East Coast, Black-looking Hispanics are much more common. So there'a a dual identity with being Black but also being Hispanic.

Quote:

It is an important indicator because it shows a large degree of cultural integration and common identity. You would think with, what, 35 million Mexican Americans you'd have one equivalent of Hosea Chanchez, Zoe Saldana, Laz Alonso, Lisa Vidal, Rosario Dawson, etc. But of course, you're not going to have that because there aren't many Mexican Americans with substantial African ancestry. Black media is about as likely to be focused on George Lopez as it is Sandra Oh.

Quote:

Puerto Ricans are the most likely Hispanic group to have exogamic marriages. And they are also the most likely to cohabitate with and have children with non-Hispanic Blacks.

Hispanic Families in the United States: Family Structure and Process in an Era of Family Change - Hispanics and the Future of America - NCBI Bookshelf

Then, of course, there are simply the ones who over the generations take on more of a "Black" or African American identity, and that's harder to quantify. I could identify as "West Indian," but simply mark "Black or African American." My wife, who grew up in New York to Caribbean parents of Black and East Indian ancestry, identifies as "Black or African American." It's hard to get a read because you may meet a Black person in the Tri-State area who looks like any other Black person, has a Spanish surname, but yet speaks no Spanish and for the most part blends in with the larger Black population.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:22 AM

31,862 posts, read 34,362,591 times
The history of race construction in the U.S. is interesting. Just think about the range of "Blackness" that exists in America.

Oprah Winfrey
Adam Clayton Powell
Halle Berry
W.E.B Du Bois
Wesley Snipes
Amerie Rogers
Julian Bond
Esperanza Spalding
Gina Torres
Inga Marchand
Huey Newton
Mya Harrison
La La Vasquez
Arthur Schomburg
Edward Brooke
Steph Curry
Lauren Velez
Nicki Minaj
Forest Whitaker
Zoe Saldana
Paula Patton
Rosario Dawson
Tatyana Ali

Du Bois, in particular, is considered the pre-eminent and most influential Black intellectual in American history, even though he was half White.

This is why so many people come to the U.S. from the Caribbean and Latin America and can't quite come to terms with our notions of race. In what world does it make any sense to put Halle Berry and Wesley Snipes into the same racial category? But that's the reality of America. So for Hispanics who have noticeable African ancestry, and that's a very large number of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, you or your children are likely to be immersed in the Black American experience to some degree whether you like it or not.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 03-01-2015 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City