U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: will fresno beat out detroit in 20 years?
yes 26 54.17%
no 22 45.83%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 02:33 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,717,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiletOFish View Post
Detroit's making a big comeback but it will keep losing people for years to come. I like Fresno's chances.
As long as black people keep moving to the South from all over the rest of the United States (and Detroit proper/city is over 80% black if I'm not mistaken) and white people keep moving to the suburbs (or the South, Southwest, Northwest, or Intermountain West) then Detroit will continue hemorrhaging population unfortunately. Even the recent move-ins by Latinos, Asians, and millennial class whites isn't enough to offset the large population contractions by the African American community alone. This is the same issue that Chicago proper also has, as long as black people keep making their exits from the city, and there's lots of African American people in both of these cities, they cannot grow their populations, unfortunately.

I don't think Detroit is done losing people yet, the trends say that is isn't close to that point yet but the bright side to it all is that Greater Detroit still has and almost assuredly always will have over 5 million people, that's a massive population base to support enriching amenities for generations to come. The inner core; Downtown, Midtown, New Center, among other areas are really pushing and becoming solid neighborhoods for people to live in an urban-esque live, work, play environment. Unfortunately this hasn't caught on with the rest of the city proper itself, as much of it is still hallowing out and going to the wayside but the core's footprint is expanding, moving inward, and this is the right step to a better city.

The core is revitalizing, the suburbs are great, really that's all anyone that's ever cared about cities could really ask for, the rest should be left to internal improvement in the city. Which it will improve, gradually though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 07:29 PM

933 posts, read 1,645,366 times
Does it matter if Fresno outgrows Detroit? Fresno has a higher city population than Miami, Minneapolis, and Sacramento but everyone would agree those cities and Detroit offer a better lifestyle, arts and entertainment, and overall culture than Fresno.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:05 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,265,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
Does it matter if Fresno outgrows Detroit? Fresno has a higher city population than Miami, Minneapolis, and Sacramento but everyone would agree those cities and Detroit offer a better lifestyle, arts and entertainment, and overall culture than Fresno.

Not to mention better air quality. Fresno has one of the worst air quality of any city in the U.S. Not named Bakersfield.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:34 PM

2,994 posts, read 1,410,023 times
I think Fresno will pass up Detroit but by the end of the next 20 years Detroit might start gaining population and pass Fresno up and it will remain the same.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:51 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,723,647 times
It doesn't matter considering that Fresno has a small metro area. Like another poster said, the city of Fresno already has a larger population than places like Miami, Minneapolis and Sacramento. It also has a larger population than Atlanta, Oakland, Raleigh, Orlando, Long Beach, Cleveland and a bunch of other cities. But it's still small due to the fact that those smaller cities also have a swath of suburbs and towns in proximity compared to Fresno. I'm sure Detroit will still have a pretty large population outside its city limits for the foreseeable future.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:47 PM

5,991 posts, read 7,921,566 times
Fresno is one of the only U.S. cities that's as worse-off or worse than Detroit (the city).....AND Detroit is doing okay for itself. So, hell no!

Old 06-20-2015, 11:49 PM

5,991 posts, read 7,921,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I think Fresno will pass up Detroit but by the end of the next 20 years Detroit might start gaining population and pass Fresno up and it will remain the same.
Even if it DID happen, which city do you think would be more important to the country/world? Just goes to show you how unimportant municipal population means in the grand scheme of things!

Old 06-20-2015, 11:59 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,361,927 times
I am not trying to sugarcoat Detroit, but have people been there lately? There are construction cranes all across downtown and Midtown, a new metro system is being put in, new housing etc. The city is surrounded by 5 million people, many of whom are investing in the city. In 1970, nobody would have anticipated Detroit looking the way it did twenty years later in 1990. So let's see how the city will look in 2035.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:24 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,717,281 times
I hope both cities have bright futures of growth (for Detroit that probably isn't possible right now but it can be in future decades and I hope it happens).

I know that Detroit's central core is doing really well right now (I follow). I don't know about Fresno's future or what it is doing to invest in it but look at its location on a map and tell me that it doesn't have nearly unlimited potential. In California, central to nearly EVERY major population center in California, will feature the FIRST leg of California's High Speed Rail, 30 minutes west of Yosemite National Park (so the tourists that fly in to see that fly in at Fresno International), has California's standard diversity (actually it has the SECOND LARGEST Hmong population in all of North America after Greater Minneapolis-Saint Paul), so on.

I hate to see cities waste their potential and I want to see all of the United States' major cities thrive, including both of these two much maligned cities (some for deserved reasons, most for undeserved reasons).

I'll go ahead and make this my last post on City-Data for a few months as I am currently out of town (Singapore) and when I get back to the United States in a few days I will be starting on my 33 day road trip through the interior Midwest/Northeast/Southeast but I just wanted to say that both cities can do much to improve and like Biggie said "the sky if the limit."

Old 06-21-2015, 09:30 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,593,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I hope both cities have bright futures of growth (for Detroit that probably isn't possible right now but it can be in future decades and I hope it happens).

I know that Detroit's central core is doing really well right now (I follow). I don't know about Fresno's future or what it is doing to invest in it but look at its location on a map and tell me that it doesn't have nearly unlimited potential. In California, central to nearly EVERY major population center in California, will feature the FIRST leg of California's High Speed Rail, 30 minutes west of Yosemite National Park (so the tourists that fly in to see that fly in at Fresno International), has California's standard diversity (actually it has the SECOND LARGEST Hmong population in all of North America after Greater Minneapolis-Saint Paul), so on.

I hate to see cities waste their potential and I want to see all of the United States' major cities thrive, including both of these two much maligned cities (some for deserved reasons, most for undeserved reasons).

I'll go ahead and make this my last post on City-Data for a few months as I am currently out of town and when I get back to the United States in a few days I will be starting on my 33 day road trip through the interior Midwest/Northeast/Southeast but I just wanted to say that both cities can do much to improve and like Biggie said "the sky if the limit."
Awwww dang, a great poster leaving City-Data. There aren't many so this is a pretty huge loss! Have fun and if you're visiting Atlanta on your trip, hope you enjoy the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or