U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2015, 07:28 PM

3 posts, read 3,216 times

Advertisements

I'm a 32 year old single guy. I have a good job currently in Indianapolis but also an opportunity to move to Tucson with a 20% higher salary. My job market is competitive, once I leave my Indy job, I probably can never go back.

Is it worth going to Tucson for a 32 year old single guy, or I'm I better off in Indy?

My family leave 3.5 hours drive in Michigan and I do at least visit them once monthly.

One thing I'm scared is leaving a big city like Indy and ending up in a desert ghost town.

Criteria:
weather
bordem
single life
young and vibrant city
job market
diversity
projected job market
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 07:39 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,466,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radissonblu View Post
I'm a 32 year old single guy. I have a good job currently in Indianapolis but also an opportunity to move to Tucson with a 20% higher salary. My job market is competitive, once I leave my Indy job, I probably can never go back.

Is it worth going to Tucson for a 32 year old single guy, or I'm I better off in Indy?

My family leave 3.5 hours drive in Michigan and I do at least visit them once monthly.

One thing I'm scared is leaving a big city like Indy and ending up in a desert ghost town.

Criteria:
weather
bordem
single life
young and vibrant city
job market
diversity
projected job market
You say you visit your family in Michigan monthly. Is proximity to that family not a criteria or something you value?

Old 03-02-2015, 05:17 PM

well I can always catch a 6 hour flight. No big deal.

I just want to know which city is better to live in

Old 03-02-2015, 06:17 PM

27 posts, read 35,098 times
At 32 you better sow your wild oats quickly! Just sayin'...

Tucson has a huge university and plenty of young attractive people. If that's not enough, Phoenix is just up the highway. I'd take the job and get to know Tucson!

Old 03-03-2015, 01:06 AM

365 posts, read 522,890 times
Tucson is very laid back ,kinda slow paced.But, the weather is nice. I would suggest taking a trip to Tucson and see what kind of vibe you get.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:33 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,036,814 times
Tucson has beautiful dessert scenery, but is mediocre at best as a city/metro area. Tis one of the few cities I actually didn't care for. If you want better winter weather you will be fine. If you value good cities you will miss Indy. Either way if you take the job in Tucson it takes about 6-9 months to adjust to the desert beauty when you're used to the dense greenery east of the Mississippi.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:13 AM

5,602 posts, read 3,466,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radissonblu View Post

Criteria:
weather
bordem
single life
young and vibrant city
job market
diversity
projected job market
Tuscon wins on weather, thats about it. Its decently vibrant, but nothing to write home about. If I were you, I would stay in Indy. I think Indy offers more, and is an overall nicer city, IMO. Good luck!

Old 03-03-2015, 07:20 PM

I deeply appreciate everyones thoughts. This is a gut wrenching decsion for me. Not 100% sure what to do. Any more additonal thoughts and experiences would be a tremendous help.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:35 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,334,473 times
I grew up in Tucson and spent most of my twenties in the Midwest. Personally, I would move to Indy in a heartbeat. If my parents were to drop dead, I'd consider moving to Tucson for my dream job, but it wouldn't my first choice. But while my folks are still kicking, I'm staying far away.

Anyway...

In terms of weather, it's going to be a matter of taste. I prefer Indy because it doesn't really see extremes, you get four seasons, and none last too long. In Tucson, the heat starts in late March, and you'll find yourself going pretty crazy come late September when it's still in the upper-90s. Also, due to the summer monsoons (early-July to mid-September), you will see humidity levels rise. Winters in Tucson are not as nice as many think. Yes, the high temperatures are in the upper-60's and low-70's, but it dips down to around freezing at night. I remember having the heat on in my car while driving to school in the morning and then having the AC on for the ride home. As a result, your body never acclimates itself to the cold, as it does in colder climates. Nonetheless snow, earthquakes, and tropical storms are rare, there's very little gloom, and tornados are practically nonexistent.

In terms of things to do, I'd say it's a tie. Tucson has more to offer in terms of the outdoors, college sports, and community events. Indy is better in terms of professional sports, museums, food, and bars. On the topic of food, Tucson is seriously lacking tenderloin sandwiches. While, Indy is seriously lacking Sonoran hotdogs (they're amazing--you need to try one if you visit!).

In term of single life, if you're under 25 (or over 65), go with Tucson; if you're over 25, go with Indy. Tucson is a college town in a state that does not have a particularly diverse economy. Many people come to Arizona for college and return to their home states (usually California). In fact, every last one of my friends from high school have since left the state (mostly to Southern California, the Bay Area, Seattle, and Austin). There are lots of college kids, grad students, and single dudes in the military in Tucson, but otherwise there are not all that many single, young professionals. But, again, I don't know what you're looking for in girl- (or boy-) friend.

Young and vibrant city. Indy has three cool bar districts (Fountain Square, Broad Ripple, and Mass Ave), while Tucson only has one: 4th Ave. Though, 4th Ave. is definetly the most urban, walkable, vibrant neighborhood in the Southwest.

Job market. Indy. No question. Tucson's infrastructure is horrible and the educational system is worse. The economy is sluggish, unemployment is high, and the there is little diversity in terms of industry. There also isn't much money in Tucson.

Diversity. Tucson wins here. There's a very strong Mexican American community and sizable South Asian, Middle Eastern, Jewish, and East Asian communities. Tucson is an interesting mix of academics and military folks; tea party patriots and environmentalists; hippies and hunters; old people and young immigrants; evangelicals, Mormons, and atheists.

Projected job market. Probably Indy. I can't see Tucson getting its act together anytime soon. While Austin, Atlanta, and Raleigh are booming, Tucson is only really attracting retirees.

Despite the fact that I'd lean more toward Indy, Tucson does have a very low cost of living (particularly in regards to housing). That 20% pay raise would, I'm sure, get you far!

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 03-03-2015 at 09:18 PM..

Old 03-03-2015, 10:11 PM

16 posts, read 14,602 times
Tucson has higher crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or