Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Summer?
Seattle 22 41.51%
San Diego 31 58.49%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 12:17 PM

28 posts, read 43,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Those are average humidities. When the air in Seattle is saturated with water during winter, that's going to push those averages higher.

In summer, San Diego is more humid than Seattle. Monsoonal moisture always gets brought up from Mexico and keeps temps warmer at night.

I remember being in San Diego one night in late August a couple years ago. It was 85 during the day, then when I checked the temp at 2 am, it was 79. Obviously not the norm, but it happens, especially during an active eastern pacific hurricane season like 2014. All those storms dissipate and the moisture feeds into CA, AZ, NV, NM, etc.
Fair enough, but Seattle does have the occasional humid summer or humid streak within a summer. For example, 2014 was a particularly humid summer because of El Nino El Nino and warm water 'blob' affecting Northwest weather

Seattle definitely feels more humid to me when it's hot than the Bay Area when it's hot pretty consistently, though. I know LA in the summer did not feel humid to me at all, but obviously San Diego is a different beast.

Also, I really can't stress enough that (similar to San Diego) Seattle is notably warmer late into the night than the Bay Area. It often doesn't even start to cool down until 8 or 9pm, with comfortable temperatures even at midnight or 1am. This is very rare in the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 12:17 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regrone23 View Post
Interesting! I assumed most places in San Diego did have A/C but I guess it makes sense that along the temperate coast areas that they wouldn't. Fans can go a long way, but they usually aren't quite enough for me.
Probably once you get 5+ miles inland and definitely 10+ miles inland it's way more common, but not directly on the coast.

I had a bedside fan and ceiling fan going 24/7 throughout summer. The windows we had couldn't accommodate a window AC unit or else I def would have gotten one.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:31 PM

591 posts, read 819,679 times
Seattle has the better summer, mainly because how late it stays light out.... almost 10 PM.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:38 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Seattle has the better summer, mainly because how late it stays light out.... almost 10 PM.
There are a good number of bars with patios to boot. It's a glorious time for going out.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:03 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
San Diego wins the other 9 months, give us a summer win

Old 03-02-2015, 04:02 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,534 times
Quote:
Fair enough, but Seattle does have the occasional humid summer or humid streak within a summer. For example, 2014 was a particularly humid summer because of El Nino El Nino and warm water 'blob' affecting Northwest weather

Seattle definitely feels more humid to me when it's hot than the Bay Area when it's hot pretty consistently, though. I know LA in the summer did not feel humid to me at all, but obviously San Diego is a different beast.

Also, I really can't stress enough that (similar to San Diego) Seattle is notably warmer late into the night than the Bay Area. It often doesn't even start to cool down until 8 or 9pm, with comfortable temperatures even at midnight or 1am. This is very rare in the Bay Area.
LA has been terribly humid the last few summers. Especially due to the 2014 El Niño. Water temps off the coast were close to 80 degrees from July to the end of September and that really killed the ocean breezes.

But I can't argue with you about the Bay Area. I hate San Fran summer weather. Was there in August this past summer and it felt like a SoCal winter. Mid 60s during the day and low 50s at night, plus it was mostly overcast. Springtime is much more pleasant there because there are more sunny days.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:37 PM

28 posts, read 43,516 times
Quote:
LA has been terribly humid the last few summers. Especially due to the 2014 El Niño. Water temps off the coast were close to 80 degrees from July to the end of September and that really killed the ocean breezes.

But I can't argue with you about the Bay Area. I hate San Fran summer weather. Was there in August this past summer and it felt like a SoCal winter. Mid 60s during the day and low 50s at night, plus it was mostly overcast. Springtime is much more pleasant there because there are more sunny days.
Yeah, El Nino caused high humidity in Seattle during the 2014 summer as well (that's what that article I linked was talking about.)

Your point is true re: San Francisco, but it's also worth noting that the Bay Area's climate varies dramatically. Go 20 minutes in any direction from San Francisco and the weather is usually much warmer.

Also, I do think Seattle and San Diego are comparable in terms of warm summer nights because of how much daylight Seattle gets. As I've said, Seattle summer temps do drop in the early morning (3-4 am) more than they do in San Diego, but it's often still warm or at least comfortable at 11pm or midnight.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:43 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,534 times
Quote:
Yeah, El Nino caused high humidity in Seattle during the 2014 summer as well (that's what that article I linked was talking about.)

Your point is true re: San Francisco, but it's also worth noting that the Bay Area's climate varies dramatically. Go 20 minutes in any direction from San Francisco and the weather is usually much warmer.

Also, I do think Seattle and San Diego are comparable in terms of warm summer nights because of how much daylight Seattle gets. As I've said, Seattle summer temps do drop in the early morning (3-4 am) more than they do in San Diego, but it's often still warm or at least comfortable at 11pm or midnight.
Yea. It was noticeably warmer and sunnier in the Alameda area, at least during the day. But I know the further east you go it becomes much hotter.

I agree with you about the daylight lasting longer though. Never been to Seattle, but spent some time in northern Minnesota a few summers back and they are almost the same latitude. I remember taking a nap and waking up to the sun just barely after it set, so the sky was still pretty blue. I asked my buddy what time it was and he told me 9:30. Shocked the hell out of me.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:53 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,768,493 times
Quote:
LA has been terribly humid the last few summers. Especially due to the 2014 El Niño. .
LA has recently had "terribly" humid summers by LA's incredibly high standards of good summer weather. For truly terrible humid summer weather go anywhere east of the Miss. River

Old 03-03-2015, 12:20 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
I forgot Seattle would stay light out so late-similar to Toronto.

I've always been fascinated that it can be light out til 10pm in the Summer ever since I first heard of it as a kid from my cousins in Ireland.

I love hot Summer nights, but I'd give this one to Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City