U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better January weather?
Santa Monica 29 47.54%
Miami Beach 32 52.46%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2015, 09:08 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,764,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Believe it or not, I'm sure most would prefer the cool high 60's of Santa Monica, over Miami Beaches high 70's low 80's temps. As much as I hate cold weather, 83 degrees is too dang hot for February. I don't want to sweat in February. I've experienced a December in Miami that had temps in the mid to high 80's, and it felt VERY uncomfortable. But if anything EVER happens in Santa Monica similar to what just happened in Huntington Beach, then give me Miami Beaches 80 degree winter days by 100 over coastal SoCal. Snow on the beach looks absolutely disgusting. Yuck!!
it was a massive hailstorm...

ive experienced a similar event.... this summer in Mexico, a hailstorm hit and left the streets looking like Huntington beach did.

Huntington Beach experienced incredible weather Monday, th immense hailstorm, downpours, lightning striking pier, waterspouts, thunder, followed by clear skies and highs in the 60s... Newport Beach, the beach next to it didnt see the hail HB saw, costa mesa didnt see a single hail at all... so HB got very lucky to experience that combination of weather.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 09:20 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,136,816 times
It only happened on a very small strip of the beach. I was standing in my backyard about 2 miles from there and we just had frequent lightning and pouring rain.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
It only happened on a very small strip of the beach. I was standing in my backyard about 2 miles from there and we just had frequent lightning and pouring rain.
yes as soon as i saw this, i called to see if this occured elsewhere, but it only occured near downtown HB.

pretty cool anyways, once in a lifetime hailstorm (for us in Southern California)

https://instagram.com/p/zvUIKHKp_j/

https://twitter.com/teamoneill/statu...801984/photo/1

https://instagram.com/p/zvSy4Yp50B/

Old 03-04-2015, 09:35 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,479,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
more like seattle...

calling Santa Monica oceanic is a joke...
Well, it is. 70s in the summer? I'm from the Mediterranean and that's not Mediterranean weather.

Quote:
Santa Monica has never seen a freezing temp (33 F record low), Miami has seen freezing (32 F)
We're comparing Santa Monica to Miami Beach, not Miami. Try to keep up. Miami Beach along with Key West are the ONLY two cities in the continental USA to never experience a freeze or wintry precipitation. Not Santa Monica.

Quote:
Santa Monica has seen 90s in winter, while most of Miami, let alone Miami beach, doesn't average in their hottest month. the vegetation you can grow in Miami beach you could grow in Santa Monica, there are a few exceptions. Santa Monica is a USDA Zone 11a, while Miami beach is 10b.
LOL? Are you high? I have coconut palms outside my window dropping fruit. Santa Monica can't grow that.

Btw, you have it backwards. Santa Monica is 10b (USDA Plant Hardiness Zone 10b - Popular Plants, Growing Tips and Gardening Blogs | Folia) Miami Beach is 11a (Hardiness zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Deal with it.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Miami Beach is a Humid subtropical climate, and Santa Monica is a Mediterranean climate (dry subtropical).
Actually by Koppen classification, it's a tropical climate. Not subtropical. But I don't put much stock in their classifications since Santa Monica doesn't have a Mediterranean climate imo.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
What is the point of a weather poll comparing one month of the year? The OP knows LA/Santa Monica would trounce Miami if all 12 months were considered.
It was interesting to me, tbh you could take the entire winter (3 months) of both and do this poll. I picked one month because it would be annoying to post 6 monthly maps.

But anyways, I consider 80s to be better than 70s which is what Santa Monica gets in the summer. However I'm aware most wouldn't vote that way, so I didn't bother to post that.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Well, it is. 70s in the summer? I'm from the Mediterranean and that's not Mediterranean weather.

We're comparing Santa Monica to Miami Beach, not Miami. Try to keep up. Miami Beach along with Key West are the ONLY two cities in the continental USA to never experience a freeze or wintry precipitation. Not Santa Monica.

LOL? Are you high? I have coconut palms outside my window dropping fruit. Santa Monica can't grow that.

Btw, you have it backwards. Santa Monica is 10b (USDA Plant Hardiness Zone 10b - Popular Plants, Growing Tips and Gardening Blogs | Folia) Miami Beach is 11a (Hardiness zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Deal with it.
70s, on a pier hundreds of feet into a 70 F ocean, wit 70s F breezes blowing on the station at all times of the day...

get on the actual beach where you feel the sand radiate the suns heat beneath you, go to the actual gridlocked streets of santa monica, and compare it to the Miami beach City hall station. It might be in the upper 70s, or maybe even low 80s. Ive been to Santa Monica many times and know it very weell and can tell you that the average highs of the beach and the city are much warmer than the pier, and most likely are in the upper 70s.

but neither is Santa Monica's mid 60shighs and low 50s lows in winter Mediterranean weather. its much warmer than the vast majority of the med in winter, its as easy as that. Santa Monica is more stable climate than your typical med climate that sees 50s highs in winter and 80s highs in summer.

Santa Monica has never seen a freeze. Miami beach has seen 32 F, which by definition, is freezing.

notice i said, there are exceptions.

no you have it switched, the keys are the only 11 zone in florida.

New 2012 USDA zones!
California Interactive USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map

not only Santa Monica, but venice, a bit of west LA, Malibu, and a tip of palos verdes is 11a.

you are hilarious

Old 03-04-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Santa Monica has never seen a freeze. Miami beach has seen 32 F, which by definition, is freezing.
First of all, Miami Beach has never seen 32. Site your source.

I repeat my source:

Quote:
Miami Beach is the only U.S. city (mainland) to never report snow flurries in its weather history
Miami Beach, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So where is Santa Monica there? Last I checked it was in the mainland. Did they forget about it? Or are you wrong

Quote:
no you have it switched, the keys are the only 11 zone in florida.
I posted a source clearly saying Miami has 11a in its limit which is Miami Beach. And I posted a source saying Santa Monica is 10b. In your tiny map, you can't see what coloring is either Santa Monica or Miami Beach.

But why I'm arguing this? Anyone who has been to both can clearly see the difference in vegetation. Miami Beach has tropical vegetation everywhere, Santa Monica has it nowhere. Are you aware you're arguing 1 + 1 = 3 right now?

Last edited by SDPMiami; 03-04-2015 at 10:10 PM..

Old 03-04-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
It was interesting to me, tbh you could take the entire winter (3 months) of both and do this poll. I picked one month because it would be annoying to post 6 monthly maps.

But anyways, I consider 80s to be better than 70s which is what Santa Monica gets in the summer. However I'm aware most wouldn't vote that way, so I didn't bother to post that.
if you consider 80s to be better than 70s, then you shouldnt you prefer our 2015 winter and our past winter than your miami winters?

this past February we saw an average high of 82 F, higher than miami's 77 F averge high in the same month, January saw nearly the same average highs here and in Miami with 78 F average highs, January of 2014 we saw an average high of 81 F, higher than Miami's 76 F averge high that same month. so as you can see if you want to cherrypick a pier station to compare ill compare my suburb, one of the warmest daytime winter locations in the region, to compare to Miami.

official weather station I base my stats off:
Monthly Average of Maximum Daily Temperature, Station id: 047776

or see this NOAA station (I post wunderground link since i cant figure out how to view past weather on NOAA)
SANTA FE DAM CA US Weather | Personal Weather Station: MSTFC1 by Wunderground.com | Weather Underground

Old 03-04-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
First of all, Miami Beach has never seen 32. Site your source.

I repeat my source:

Miami Beach, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So where is Santa Monica there? Last I checked it was in the mainland. Did they forget about it? Or are you wrong

I posted a source clearly saying Miami has 11a in its limit which is Miami Beach. And I posted a source saying Santa Monica is 10b. In your tiny map, you can't see what coloring is either Santa Monica or Miami Beach.

But why I'm arguing this? Anyone who has been to both can clearly see the difference in vegetation. Miami Beach has tropical vegetation everywhere, Santa Monica has it nowhere. Are you aware you're arguing 1 + 1 = 3 right now?
Climate of Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hit freezing in three different months...

all you have to do is go on NOAA, look at Santa Monica records and see a 33 F record low, then it is up to you to determine if 33 F is warmer than 32 F(freezing temp).

its not just "my map" its the USDA map and plantmaps map

its all planted, not natural, go see the everglades, natural landscape and argue to me its tropical in look and feel, its not. the planted palms of miami give the same tropical feel the palms and other planted tropical plants of santa monica do. (im not the one arguing Santa Monica is tropical).

Miami beach is its own city, seperate from miami
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or