U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better January weather?
Santa Monica 29 47.54%
Miami Beach 32 52.46%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2015, 02:24 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,181,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
We're not really hot in the summer, 88-92 F is 99% of the days in the summer. Last summer we didn't record a temperature above 95, and never in history did we record 100. Something Santa Monica has.

We're more humid than you in the summer. That's true.

Btw is 10F warmer in the winter "a little warmer"?

You can cherry pick a few 100 degree days if you'd like, but they are the exception rather than the rule.
You have way more high humidity days than we have 100 degree days. I've been in Miami when it was 95 degrees and raining.. Steam was coming up off the pavement! Make up melts, hair frizzes... no thanks!
Yup.. A " little warmer" at least not enough difference to make me want to live in MIA. lol
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 02:28 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,479,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
You can cherry pick a few 100 degree days if you'd like, but they are the exception rather than the rule.
You have way more high humidity days than we have 100 degree days. I've been in Miami when it was 95 degrees and raining.. Steam was coming up off the pavement! Make up melts, hair frizzes... no thanks!
Yup.. A " little warmer" at least not enough difference to make me want to live in MIA. lol
You don't have to, we have enough people here already. I just wanted to clear up some preconceptions, we're not hot. You're more predisposed to hot weather, admittedly it happens a couple days a year. We're humid, which is part of being a tropical climate. And it's why we're overrun by tourists.

I'm from Los Angeles btw, born there, and so on. You are just a tourist visiting my city for an extended stay

Old 03-05-2015, 02:52 PM

A couple of days a year it's humid? Ahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhaha! Maybe a couple of days it's NOT humid would be closer to the truth.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
A couple of days a year it's humid? Ahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhaha! Maybe a couple of days it's NOT humid would be closer to the truth.
No I meant you have a couple days of admittedly hot weather (~100), which we don't get.

Miami Beach is humid year round except during a cold snap. Now whether the humidity is uncomfortable is another story, at 75, 75% humidity everyone gushes our weather is lovely. At 85 and 75% humidity, everyone says it's warm but nice. At 90F and 75% humidity, which is a typical summer day, everyone will be sweating.

But on the flip side, and I love the beach and I love being outside at a lounge during the night, it's better that way. When it falls to a 70 degree day, I have even seen people here wear gloves and I'm not joking

Old 03-05-2015, 03:03 PM

It's 82 in Mia as we speak.. With 72% humidity. Here it's 73 with 22 % humidity. All those people who think you're 75 % humidity is awesome are old retirees from the mid west and east who have been trying to get warm since 1962 and are probably still wearing sweaters.

Ok.. Done messin with you. Gonna grab my surfboard and head to the beach. ( Huntington Beach, cause the surf here sucks) ! Lol
Have a great afternoon.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
It's 82 in Mia as we speak.. With 72% humidity..
Yes and it's perfect, I'm outside now on my patio. The beach is packed, and tonight you will be able to relax outside with a bottle of wine, and a cigarette and short sleeves

Old 03-05-2015, 03:13 PM

Kinda sad that you have to get drunk and ruin your health in order to enjoy your crappy weather.... Just sayin.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Kinda sad that you have to get drunk and ruin your health in order to enjoy your crappy weather.... Just sayin.
Tonight while I enjoy a nice wine, and cigarette in my courtyard, dodging coconuts as they fall from the trees due to the ocean breezes, you will be in a sweater, maybe light jacket sipping on hot cocoa shivering in a damp 50F Santa Monica night

Old 03-05-2015, 05:40 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,136,816 times
The obsession with coconuts is strong here.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:26 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,136,816 times
So if were looking at averages for February of this year:

-Miami Beach's average High was 80F and the average Low was 60F. Slightly higher daytime average than Miami city, but same average low for the month.

-SaMo's average High was 70 and the average low was 54.

-The highest temperature recorded for the month of February 2015 in Miami Beach was 87F and in SaMo the highest temperature recorded in February was also 87F (I don't know what weather station that is that you posted, because if you go directly to Santa Monica on Weather.com, which uses NWS data, the temps are completely different).

-The lowest recorded temp in Miami Beach for the same month was 42F and in SaMo the lowest recorded temperature was 48F. (This might cause a riot from the OP, but it's just the facts, and it is NOT a testament to which one is better).

-The lowest HIGH temperature recorded in Miami Beach for February 2015 was 60F, and in SaMo the lowest HIGH temperature was 63.

-Lastly, the highest LOW temperature in Miami Beach for the month of February was 73F, while in SaMo the highest LOW temperature was 60F.

Like I said originally, regardless of my preference for cooler weather in Winter (relatively...it's much more comfortable for sleeping, IMO), I think Miami will win this. Mostly because people in colder climates (I think most people on C-D are), would look at Miami's weather and immediately think "vacation", while if they look at CA they will probably just think "Spring".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or