U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Better January weather?
Santa Monica 29 47.54%
Miami Beach 32 52.46%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2015, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL/Tokyo, Japan
1,699 posts, read 1,479,810 times
Reputation: 699

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
-The lowest recorded temp in Miami Beach for the same month was 42F and in SaMo the lowest recorded temperature was 48F. (This might cause a riot from the OP, but it's just the facts, and it is NOT a testament to which one is better).
The lowest recorded temperature for Miami this year was 42, and for Santa Monica it was 38.

You might be surprised I said Miami instead of Miami Beach. Because what you're looking at is data for Miami, not Miami Beach.

You may go huh? I typed Miami Beach into accuweather, and this pulled up.

Problem is only the airport, KMIA/MIA records data for the area, Miami Beach has no weather station that does it. Go into accuweather and punch in Miami and compare them side by side, you will notice they are identical.

I don't know how low Miami Beach got exactly on that cold day in February but it was somewhere in the upper 40s, a historical cold day for Miami/Miami Beach in general as it was across the east coast. However that 38 F day recorded in Santa Monica January 1st is not a historical marker.

But anyways you can continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2015, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,412 posts, read 1,764,834 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Miami =/= Miami Beach. That's like me pulling out climate data for Los Angeles. Are you really this dense or are you trolling on purpose. Plus, it's not clear Santa Monica hasn't seen freezing, this 33 degrees was recorded over the pier, and who knows how long those records were going for.



Even in the everglades you have tropical vegetation growing like



Better yet if you actually think Santa Monica is in 11a, then show me Santa Monica's coconut palms, literally all over Miami Beach, I have at least 4 in my backyard that drop fruit all over me. Where are Santa Monica's coconut palms, show pictures

Fact is Miami has all the palms that grow in Santa Monica but has palms Santa Monica cannot grow because we're in a different and better hardness zone.
there it is Miami beach, look closely and you will find it, below the MIA Airport weatherbox, the Miami Beach weatherbox shows what im saying.

right, the little surviving royal palms that were left from that crazy freeze years ago (cant remeber the year, freeze killed 90 % of everglade palms), and if your point is that royal palms make a place tropical, then we are tropical too, i see royal palms scattered about the metro area, nothing special, not making us tropical.

I post evidence that santa monica is 11a, and you decide to disregard it, oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,412 posts, read 1,764,834 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Miami Beach is 10-15F warmer in the winter. Not really marginal, and imo, that 10-15 basically make one a beach destination and the other one not. Who wants to hit the beach when its 60s, or even low 70s? Maybe only sun starved tourists will attempt at low 70s.

In the summer Miami Beach is also just 10-15F warmer. Average summer temps is 88-92F for the high. Not terrible by any means.
Winter highs in Santa Monica are in mid to high 60s usually, and days in Miami Beach are usually low to mid 70s (average high in jan is 73.8, feb, 74.9, and dec, 75.6). i guess the winter vacationists in miami Beach are also sun starved. its by no means a winter beach destination. there is no place in the continental US that is a winter beach destination. not even your beloved Miami Beach.

Summer its mid to upper 70s in Santa Monica, and mid to upper 80s in Miami Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,412 posts, read 1,764,834 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
L.A has tons of microclimates and if you piecemeal different aspects of each microclimate and cherry-pick anomalous situations, you can easily make L.A. look hotter than Miami. L.A-Mex likes to point out how the valleys of L.A. see average highs in the 90s in summer while Miami's average highs in summer are in the 80s; therefore L.A. is hotter in summer. But the focus on this thread is Santa Monica vs Miami Beach.

Okay: Santa Monica has never recorded a freeze before and Miami has. Santa Monica has seen highs in the 90s in winter and Miami hasn't. Miami's average summer highs are lower than Santa Monica's winter record highs. Those are true BUT this is also true.

Santa Monica's AVERAGE JULY highs are LOWER than Miami's AVERAGE JANUARY HIGHS. FACT.

Santa Monica has average summer highs in the low 70s when Miami has average January highs in the upper 70s! Santa Monica hitting 90 once every 3 years in winter and Miami getting a freeze once every 10 years does not change this fact.

Miami is warmer than Santa Monica about 98 percent of the time if you factor in night time lows year round and over 99.9 percent of the time if you factor in heat index. A humid 88 F (almost every summer day) in Miami feels hotter than dry 96 F during the odd heat wave in Santa Monica (happens once a year).

When planning a beach vacation, people look at average weather, not anomalies.

Miami Beach= hands down better beach weather at any time of the year. Santa Monica sometimes gets poor beach weather even in summer when the fog/June Gloom are slow to burn off. Miami may get poor beach weather about 5 days a year (either due to cold snap or hurricane/tropical storms). Summers get a lot of afternoon thunderstorms but the mornings are almost always beach weather.


Santa Monica= better jogging, cycling, hiking, tennis weather most of the year. Highs in the 60s or 70s most of the time all year round. Even occasional heat waves of 90 F plus have low humidity so you don't sweat as much. Stable weather where you know you won't get rained, ever, from May through October so you can go on long hikes and plan afternoon sporting events.


Both climates have much better outdoor weather in winter than 95 percent of the U.S. but they are very different from each other and Santa Monica can take pride in having "comfortable room temperature" weather most of the year while Miami Beach can take pride in having "hot beach weather" most of the year.
I dont point that out. I say like you said that LA is a city of microclimates and that everything inland from South Gate sees highs of 90s in summer, and that we even have valley microclimates that see average highs at 100 F, but then we have our coolest beaches that see mid 70s highs, and warmer beaches that see mid 80s highs, so again its a city of microclimates.

Santa Monica stats are taken on a PIER, that is why temps are so cool...

and i agree, like i have been since the start, that Miami has nicer winter weather on average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Westminster/Huntington Beach, CA
1,780 posts, read 1,137,379 times
Reputation: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
The lowest recorded temperature for Miami this year was 42, and for Santa Monica it was 38.

You might be surprised I said Miami instead of Miami Beach. Because what you're looking at is data for Miami, not Miami Beach.

You may go huh? I typed Miami Beach into accuweather, and this pulled up.

Problem is only the airport, KMIA/MIA records data for the area, Miami Beach has no weather station that does it. Go into accuweather and punch in Miami and compare them side by side, you will notice they are identical.

I don't know how low Miami Beach got exactly on that cold day in February but it was somewhere in the upper 40s, a historical cold day for Miami/Miami Beach in general as it was across the east coast. However that 38 F day recorded in Santa Monica January 1st is not a historical marker.

But anyways you can continue.
I didn't compare the whole year because you specifically stated January, even though you posted February. Even then, 4 degree difference. Minute details like I mentioned earlier.

But you're wrong, Miami Beach DOES have a weather station on Di Lido Island, where do you think I got the info? Using NWS data, Miami and Miami Beach are not identical, though the differences are extremely minor.

But anyways you may continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,412 posts, read 1,764,834 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
So what? Are you aware that Miami Beach is a separate city? Just like Santa Monica is a separate city from Los Angeles? That Miami Beach has its own climate as it's surrounded to the west by Biscayne Bay and to the east by the Atlantic ocean?

Btw that freeze in Miami was recorded in the airport. Which is the western side of Miami. It's like me taking data from the San Fernando Valley for Los Angeles which didn't see the lowest temp at 32, but saw it in the teens.

Your grasping at straws to even compare Miami Beach than Santa Monica. MB is consistently warmer in every measurement.
there is a fellow forumer on the weather forum that actually operates a weather station in his home in Key Biscayne, that would have a interesting argument with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,412 posts, read 1,764,834 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I was curious, so I pulled out Santa Monica's weather from this January (2015)



Keep in mind several things, to be 11a, you can't see a temperature below 40F. On January 1st, Santa Monica recorded 38F meaning even on 2015, a record breaking warm winter for the west coast, Santa Monica wasn't 11a but rather 10b.

Now as to Miami, not Miami Beach, but Miami, saw 42F as its lowest temperature this February. And this was a COLD winter for us. But we still maintained a 11a condition of not dropping below 40F. For Miami to drop below 40F is rare, and basically comes maybe twice or three times a century. For Santa Monica, it will come almost every year.
you are wrong. why base your arguement off extreme weather conditions. temps delow 40 F are extremely rare in Santa Monica, maybe even more so than Miami Beach. but if you wish to use extremes... miami beach is a 10a climate since it has seen 32 F in multiple occasions, and Miami is a 9b as it has seen 27 F.

Last edited by L.A.-Mex; 03-05-2015 at 07:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,412 posts, read 1,764,834 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Cool if we both annoy you, but I don't repeatedly post falsehoods over and over and over. Sorry if this seems "minor" to you, but he is basically saying Santa Monica is a higher plant hardiness zone and can grow palms Miami cannot. Which would have anyone laughing hysterically if they been to both places.

It may not be important to argue about, but then nothing here is important. I'm just taking a break from work, so sue me.
i provided proof, that Santa Monica is 11a, i tried to find Miami Beach as 11a but i couldnt, then i looked at the map and it was the same as Miami, 10b.

i never said we could grow more palms than Miami, i said:

"santa moinica can grown anything that miami beach can, but there are exceptions" (exception being your coconuts, and others. )

you really need to read a post completely, maybe those "coconuts falling on you" are affecting your mental capabilities.

Last edited by L.A.-Mex; 03-05-2015 at 07:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Paris
1,671 posts, read 1,918,649 times
Reputation: 963
Miami is a cool city OP, but can you quit trying to not so subtly stack threads for Miami? Or not I guess, Miami is at least interesting to talk about so whatever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 07:53 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,404 posts, read 24,380,612 times
Reputation: 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
Winter highs in Santa Monica are in mid to high 60s usually, and days in Miami Beach are usually low to mid 70s (average high in jan is 73.8, feb, 74.9, and dec, 75.6). i guess the winter vacationists in miami Beach are also sun starved. its by no means a winter beach destination. there is no place in the continental US that is a winter beach destination. not even your beloved Miami Beach.

Summer its mid to upper 70s in Santa Monica, and mid to upper 80s in Miami Beach.
South Florida is indeed a winter beach destination, it's their high season. When do you think most tourists come to South Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top