Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better January weather?
Santa Monica 29 47.54%
Miami Beach 32 52.46%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 08:39 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I find it hard to believe SaMo is a 11a while Miami Beach is in 10b. What plants can be grown in SaMo that can't be grown in Miami?
It's hard to believe because it's wrong.

Santa Monica is 10b, Miami is transitional between 10b and 11a, Miami Beach is 11a.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I find it hard to believe SaMo is a 11a while Miami Beach is in 10b. What plants can be grown in SaMo that can't be grown in Miami?
I was curious, so I pulled out Santa Monica's weather from this January (2015)

Keep in mind several things, to be 11a, you can't see a temperature below 40F. On January 1st, Santa Monica recorded 38F meaning even on 2015, a record breaking warm winter for the west coast, Santa Monica wasn't 11a but rather 10b.

Now as to Miami, not Miami Beach, but Miami, saw 42F as its lowest temperature this February. And this was a COLD winter for us. But we still maintained a 11a condition of not dropping below 40F. For Miami to drop below 40F is rare, and basically comes maybe twice or three times a century. For Santa Monica, it will come almost every year.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:45 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Miami =/= Miami Beach. That's like me pulling out climate data for Los Angeles. Are you really this dense or are you trolling on purpose. Plus, it's not clear Santa Monica hasn't seen freezing, this 33 degrees was recorded over the pier, and who knows how long those records were going for.

Even in the everglades you have tropical vegetation growing like

Better yet if you actually think Santa Monica is in 11a, then show me Santa Monica's coconut palms, literally all over Miami Beach, I have at least 4 in my backyard that drop fruit all over me. Where are Santa Monica's coconut palms, show pictures

Fact is Miami has all the palms that grow in Santa Monica but has palms Santa Monica cannot grow because we're in a different and better hardness zone.
I've been to the Everglades many times. Don't act like there are jungles of royal palms growing everywhere, because there aren't. Mostly subtropical pine forest and marshland. Don't really even remember seeing one while I was there, however I know they are native to SoFla.

In all seriousness though, this thread is a major joke. Most pathetic attempt at boosterism I've seen here in a minute. You obviously have your point of view on how everyone should be jealous of your weather in Miami beach but to create a thread just to argue with people is laughable. Maybe not your original intention, but you came prepared to bicker. Grow up.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
I've been to the Everglades many times. Don't act like there are jungles of royal palms growing everywhere, because there aren't. Mostly subtropical pine forest and marshland. Don't really even remember seeing one while I was there, however I know they are native to SoFla.
Well, you're wrong. That palm tree I showed is found in the everglades, it's native to southern florida and the Caribbean.

Quote:
In all seriousness though, this thread is a major joke. Most pathetic attempt at boosterism I've seen here in a minute. You obviously have your point of view on how everyone should be jealous of your weather in Miami beach but to create a thread just to argue with people is laughable. Maybe not your original intention, but you came prepared to bicker. Grow up.
LOL, don't be butthurt. I started this thread to see what people think. If someone said he preferred Santa Monica's weather I wouldn't argue. But when you have LA-Mex proclaiming things that are untrue, it has to be shot down. I can't stand misinformation whether he is doing this from ignorance, lying or trolling purposes is harder to determine.

Last edited by SDPMiami; 03-05-2015 at 11:45 AM..

Old 03-05-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
(Please tell me you recognize that I'm being sarcastic).
I recognize you're trying to make some point. What that point is, I don't understand. We're comparing Santa Monica to Miami Beach, two similarly sized beach cities plugged into larger metro areas (Los Angeles and Miami).

Old 03-05-2015, 11:46 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,450,875 times
Quote:
Miami Beach and Santa Monica probably have similar humidity during the winter. Santa Monica is not bone dry, it's moderated by the Ocean and I'm guessing it's humidity levels are in the 60s, maybe even low 70s. Miami Beach is similar just 10-15 warmer.
For the whole month overall is probably similar, but California gets brutal at times:

Weather History for Santa Monica, CA | Weather Underground

Old 03-05-2015, 12:10 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,489 times
Quote:
Well, you're wrong. That palm tree I showed is found in the everglades, it's native to southern florida and the Caribbean.

LOL, don't be butthurt. I started this thread to see what people think. If someone said he preferred Santa Monica's weather I wouldn't argue. But when you have LA-Mex proclaiming things that are untrue, it has to be shot down. I can't stand misinformation whether he is doing this from ignorance, lying or trolling purposes is harder to determine.
I literally already said they were native. Can you read?

Also, you are to Miami what LA-Mex is to LA on this forum. Bickering about things so minute it's ridiculous.

You're both annoying...

Old 03-05-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
I literally already said they were native. Can you read?

Also, you are to Miami what LA-Mex is to LA on this forum. Bickering about things so minute it's ridiculous.

You're both annoying...
Cool if we both annoy you, but I don't repeatedly post falsehoods over and over and over. Sorry if this seems "minor" to you, but he is basically saying Santa Monica is a higher plant hardiness zone and can grow palms Miami cannot. Which would have anyone laughing hysterically if they been to both places.

It may not be important to argue about, but then nothing here is important. I'm just taking a break from work, so sue me.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:04 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,957,639 times
As one who lives in SM ALL year long, I'll take it over Miami any time. Your winters may be a little warmer, but you can keep your summer heat and awful humidity. ( and your bugs). Lol

Old 03-05-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
As one who lives in SM ALL year long, I'll take it over Miami any time. Your winters may be a little warmer, but you can keep your summer heat and awful humidity. ( and your bugs). Lol
We're not really hot in the summer, 88-92 F is 99% of the days in the summer. Last summer we didn't record a temperature above 95, and never in history did we record 100. Something Santa Monica has.

We're more humid than you in the summer. That's true.

Btw is 10F warmer in the winter "a little warmer"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City