Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More culturally northeastern?
Boston 31 75.61%
NYC 10 24.39%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:39 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times

Advertisements

This thread is in the same vein as the Atlanta vs DC thread. Which city is more northeastern from a cultural perspective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 09:44 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,107,611 times
What's Northeastern culture? It could be see as a very urban, fast paced lifestyle. Or it could be seen as a very WASP, Ivy league country club lifestyle.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
What's Northeastern culture? It could be see as a very urban, fast paced lifestyle. Or it could be seen as a very WASP, Ivy league country club lifestyle.
I dunno. I just figured if people could do a "more southern" thread then they should also be able to do a "more northeastern" thread.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:00 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
I voted for Boston because I feel New York, being such a melting pot, is more removed culturally from the rest of the region, I think.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:06 AM

Shouldn't we compare the classic traits most people on C-D say are Northeastern?

-Liberal politics
-Wealth
-Diversity
-White collar
-Public transit
-Educational attainment

Old 03-04-2015, 10:11 AM

27,537 posts, read 28,625,446 times
New York City is the quintessential northeast city, simply because it is by far the largest and wealthiest city in the northeast.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:35 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,277,721 times
Both are quintessential Northeastern cities, hard to really say one is more NE than the other. Sort of like asking which is more southern: Atlanta or Charlotte? Both are core southern cities with lots of transplants.

If I had to chose, I would pick NYC by a hair. Just for the fact that it straddles the NE's New England/Mid-Atlantic sub-divide. NYC's Conn suburbs (and to a lesser extent Westchester and Suffolk Counties) are more typically New England. While the Jersey suburbs (and Brooklyn) are pure Mid-Atlantic.

The Richmond-Raleigh comparison seems more like asking which is more Northeastern: Baltimore or Erie, PA. (The Atl-DC one just seemed silly). Erie PA is clearly in a core NE state, but at the fringe and doesn't have a lot of the attributes associated with the NE: immigration, density, liberal values, high COL, etc. Baltimore has those attributes, but has a slightly southern vibe.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:36 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,127,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Shouldn't we compare the classic traits most people on C-D say are Northeastern?

-Liberal politics
-Wealth
-Diversity
-White collar
-Public transit
-Educational attainment
A lot of the Northeast isn't really diverse though. Outside of Boston, NYC, and Philly, it's vastly white. Compare that to the South and West where minorities live outside of the cities as well.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:41 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

-Liberal politics
-Wealth
-Diversity
-White collar
-Public transit
-Educational attainment
Liberal politics and diversity are not things I think of with regards to the Northeast. Those are more West Coast hallmarks imo.

As far as wealth, everywhere in the country has lots of wealth.

For me, when I think "Northeast", I think:
-Cold, Snow, Ice
-Early US history
-Crude accents
-Old Money, Old families
-Old, Urban cities & Urban blight
-Old banks and & the finance industy establishment
-Ivy League
-Pizza

Obviously this is overly simplistic, and there are city-specific aspects, but regionally I think the above is about right.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Liberal politics and diversity are not things I think of with regards to the Northeast. Those are more West Coast hallmarks imo.

As far as wealth, everywhere in the country has lots of wealth.

For me, when I think "Northeast", I think:
-Cold, Snow, Ice
-Early US history
-Crude accents
-Old Money, Old families
-Old, Urban cities & Urban blight
-Old banks and & the finance industy establishment
-Ivy League
-Pizza

Obviously this is overly simplistic, and there are city-specific aspects, but regionally I think the above is about right.
Then the answer's clearly Boston, right?

-Most prestigious Ivy
-Upper class "Brahmin" accent
-Cabots, Lodges, Adams, Lowells, etc.
-Nantucket, Cape Cod, the Vineyard, etc.
-Epicenter of Yankeedom
-More white collar than NYC

Seems like Boston crushes NYC in this matchup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City