U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 08:40 PM

11,472 posts, read 25,701,761 times

Advertisements

COL? More things to do? Climate? Friendliness? Pros and cons?

Last edited by beckycat; 03-05-2015 at 09:34 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 10:07 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,336,466 times
Pittsburgh wins in all categories.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:13 AM

Can you compare any of the cities? I also added Richmond, VA but don't see it on the title.

Last edited by beckycat; 03-06-2015 at 11:49 AM..

Old 03-06-2015, 01:36 PM

29,617 posts, read 65,657,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
COL? More things to do? Climate? Friendliness? Pros and cons?
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Can you compare any of the cities? I also added Richmond, VA but don't see it on the title.
Obviously everything is going to be subjective. Although I live adjacent to Downtown Pittsburgh and love this city dearly I'm not so certain I'd say it "wins in all categories" so adamantly.

Pittsburgh has the coldest (and cloudiest) climate of all four, so if you're looking for a place that doesn't have harsh winters, then those Virginia cities will fit the bill. I can definitely say last winter was brutal all around in Pittsburgh with "Polar Vortex" after "Polar Vortex" and while this past winter was average to begin with, we made up for that quickly with a horribly cold February and now a similarly chilly start to March (another record low for Pittsburgh last night after having the second-coldest February on record here). Roanoke would be the snowiest of the Virginia cities, given it is more interior and nearer to the mountains. Not sure if either Richmond or Lynchburg would have the most humid/muggiest summers out of all four cities. I love four seasons, but I personally think I'd give the nod to Roanoke since their Springs start slightly earlier than Pittsburgh's, and their winters start just a tad later than ours. It's not fun dealing with cold weather from November right through March.

Friendliness? I can't really judge. In my opinion Pittsburgh is very friendly for a major U.S. city; however, are Pittsburghers friendlier than people who live in smaller, more intimate cities? I don't know.

Things to do? If you're talking about the city proper and immediate surroundings then I agree Pittsburgh wins handily here. With that being said we're relatively geographically isolated, and it takes a long time to get to the I-95 Corridor's major cities or the beach from here. We're close to a wide array of "lesser" cities that are still in decline while our city is booming. I think Richmond would have the most convenient location overall---roughly two hours or less from DC; the Outer Banks; the mountains (including Roanoke and points nearby); etc. Pittsburgh's city proper is booming, and I'm never at a loss for things to do! Richmond is another great city, though, with a lot of fun attractions.

Overall? It's hard to say. I don't know much about Lynchburg, but I can't see how it would win overall. Pittsburgh is an awesome city, but our winters suck. Richmond is great, but the summers are very humid and muggy. Pittsburgh is isolated. Richmond is close to everything. Pittsburgh has attractions out the wazoo. Roanoke doesn't.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:41 PM

541 posts, read 1,343,838 times
You can't smoke marijuana legally in any of those cities, if that's important to you. If it is, you should consider moving to Colorado.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:54 PM

6,882 posts, read 3,613,112 times
The Burgh crushes Lynchburg and Roanoke in every caregory except climate.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:04 PM

Thanks. What about Richmond?

Old 03-06-2015, 05:44 PM

12,994 posts, read 17,117,737 times
Climate: Roanoke, Lynchburg, Richmond, Pittsburgh.

Roanoke and Lynchburg are on the leeward side of the Appalachian Mountains, which gives them more sunshine, but they're also high enough in elevation to limit the heat in the summer. They're probably have the best climate east of the Mississippi River. Richmond is on the edge of the coastal plain, so it's hotter and more humid there in the summer. Pittsburgh is on the windward side of the Appalachian Mountains, which makes it cloudier and rainier. On the plus side, heat is even less extreme there than it is in Roanoke and Lynchburg.

Cost of living: Lynchburg, Roanoke, Richmond, Pittsburgh.

The cost of living is more than likely directly proportional to the size of each metropolitan area and the number of professional jobs. One other thing that hurts Pittsburgh is that Pennsylvania is generally a more expensive Commonwealth than Virginia.

Friendliness: Roanoke, Richmond, Lynchburg, Pittsburgh.

Roanoke wins by default. State capitals tend to be a bit more "dry" than other cities, and Lynchburg is home to Liberty University, which is one of the most repressive and regressive universities in the United States. Pittsburgh is friendly for a Northeastern city, but that's like pointing out that Stone Sour is more mellow than Slipknot.

Things to do: Pittsburgh, Richmond, Roanoke, Lynchburg.

The Pittsburgh metropolitan area is larger than the other three metropolitan areas combined. It has big-city amenities that the other three lack, including two major research universities, an impressive array of cultural institutions, and three major professional sports teams. Its size also gives it more entertainment and nightlife options, though Richmond nightlife is underrated. Basically, Pittsburgh wins this category in a landslide.

Tough call between Pittsburgh and Richmond, but I give it to Pittsburgh for three reasons: 1) It has more major North American cities within a 500-mile radius than any other major city in the U.S. 2) It's a four- to six-hour drive from New York, Philadelphia and Washington DC without having to drive through either of the other two to get to any one of them. 3) It's roughly halfway between New York and Chicago. 4) It's a more important logistics hub than Richmond. With that said, Richmond is quickly becoming a liason between the Northeast and the South the way Pittsburgh is a liason between the Northeast and the Midwest, and it's halfway between New York and Atlanta. As for the other two, Richmond wins since it's located on an Interstate while Lynchburg is not.

Economy: Richmond, Pittsburgh, Roanoke, Lynchburg

Richmond is a state capital, which gives it a built-in economic advantage. It also helps that it's the capital of a Commonwealth that's growing rapidly in terms of both population and income. Pittsburgh's primary economic advantages are its scale and its major corporate and academic presences, but demographic peculiarities left over from the collapse of heavy industry a generation ago act as a drag on economic momentum since two thirds of all new jobs created in the United States are services that depend on population growth. Roanoke and Lynchburg are too small to have the same kind of economic vitality that Pittsburgh and Richmond do.

Recreation: Pittsburgh, Roanoke, Lynchburg, Richmond

Pittsburgh has plenty of recreational outlets in the city, including three rivers and an extensive city park system. It's also an hour and a half from the underrated Laurel Highlands, which feature skiing, camping, hiking, biking and whitewater rafting. Roanoke and Lynchburg have the mountains nearby as well, but not as much recreation in the cities. Richmond has a decent park system, though it's not as extensive as Pittsburgh's, and it's also much farther away from the mountains than the other three cities. One big advantage it does have, though, is proximity to the ocean and beaches.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:34 PM

Wow, some great responses!

Old 03-08-2015, 09:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,834 times
Depends on if you are looking to have experiences or settle down and have a family. I am partial to Lynchburg if you are going to raise a family because I grew up there. There are many jobs, great schools, and not much crime in the suburbs. I currently live in Richmond and enjoy the environment that the city offers, although, there can be more crime. Roanoke just sucks and Pittsburgh (having only been there a few times) is a great city but can be a bit claustrophobic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or