U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 06:40 AM

21,945 posts, read 30,816,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
When you type "distance between Philadelphia and Washington DC" into google, Google Maps lists 2 hours and 34 minutes (138 miles). I'm sure there is variation based on where in DC you leave from, and I don't doubt that you have made it in 2 hrs before. I'm just saying it's not unreasonable to think that it would take someone 2.5 hrs (or even 3 with traffic/road work). I grew up in MD north of DC, and it always took 2 hrs driving normal speed, so I would assuming that coming from DC proper would be closer to 2.5 hrs. Again, I'm not saying you can't make the trip in 2hrs, but 2.5-3 hours (given certain conditions) is definitely not unreasonable either. That is the official time calculated in Google Maps.
agree

I think 2.5-3 is more standard with traffic. I just hit on my app now 8:36AM and am in CC to DC it shows 2:33 minutes and 135 miles right now with traffic conditions. Not bad for rush hour. Though to me the worst times are Fridays and Sundays or Fridays and holiday days which can be awful and have seen close to 5 hours ( I have taken 81 at times as while longer on these days can be faster.

I also have done it in a hair under 2 hours. I made it home from an Eagles game at Fedex to CC Philly in under two hours actually but you have to hit times when you can move at 80 without traffic.

DE and the 295/95 split can back up tremendously, especially on summer weekends - though they have made some improvements for the road heading toward Rehoboth and OC MD from DE.

I also once made it from CC Philly to Baltimore in about 75 minutes before, again traffic permitting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 06:47 AM

11,829 posts, read 9,835,607 times
Philly to Baltimore always seems like 1.5-2 Hours, so DC is usually 2-2.5 Hours.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:46 AM

27,612 posts, read 24,808,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
When you type "distance between Philadelphia and Washington DC" into google, Google Maps lists 2 hours and 34 minutes (138 miles). I'm sure there is variation based on where in DC you leave from, and I don't doubt that you have made it in 2 hrs before. I'm just saying it's not unreasonable to think that it would take someone 2.5 hrs (or even 3 with traffic/road work). I grew up in MD north of DC, and it always took 2 hrs driving normal speed, so I would assuming that coming from DC proper would be closer to 2.5 hrs. Again, I'm not saying you can't make the trip in 2hrs, but 2.5-3 hours (given certain conditions) is definitely not unreasonable either. That is the official time calculated in Google Maps.
Heading north from Union Station, turning right on NY Avenue, and heading up the BW Parkway, you can be coasting up Lincoln Drive in exactly two hours, assuming you don't drive like an old lady. That's always been the case no matter what time I've left.

The only way I could see it consistently taking 2.5 hours is if you were leaving from Friendship Heights or Tenleytown.

The worst traffic tends to be on the BW Parkway just before the Route 197 exit in Laurel.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:48 AM

20,129 posts, read 21,745,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Do other races (white, Hispanic, Asian) try to experience African American culture in any city? They will try to experience Asian culture in San Francisco or New York. Latin culture in LA, Dallas, or Houston. Italian and Irish culture in Boston, NYC, and Philly. French culture in New Orleans. I don't think other races really care to experience African American culture in general. How do you think an entire race can be ignored in predominately African American cities across the nation? I can't remember an inquiry on here about learning or visiting African American communities by a non-African American, can you?

Just an observation......
Yea, when it comes to NYC, New Orleans, and maybe Atlanta. Then there's Caribbean in NYC as well and West African, but not sure if you want to count that.

Overall, I prefer Philadelphia as I like the neighborhoods more in general as it seems like there are a lot of distinctive and unique parts of Philadelphia. Eating out in Philadelphia was pretty fantastic.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:23 AM

4,265 posts, read 7,192,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I also have done it in a hair under 2 hours. I made it home from an Eagles game at Fedex to CC Philly in under two hours actually but you have to hit times when you can move at 80 without traffic.
Same in my experience. If you set the cruise on 95 in the very late night hours, it's a breeze.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:35 AM

15,669 posts, read 18,223,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Philly to Baltimore always seems like 1.5-2 Hours, so DC is usually 2-2.5 Hours.
Yes, I live near the ICC in Maryland. I takes me 2.5 hours to get to suburbs like Plymouth Meeting and Bridgeport. I did it in 2 hours when I was in a hurry.

BTW, differences between Washington DC and Philadelphia: Washington DC is obviously a more federal government-based professional city with a lot of tourism whereas Philadelphia has a greater blue collar element. Still, lots of white-collar jobs there as well. No skyscrapers in Washington DC. Tall skyscrapers in Philadelphia.

That sort of thing.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:36 AM

Traffic north of DC is never as big a problem as traffic south of DC. You can drive from NYC to DC incident free 80-85% of the time. The traffic in Stafford County, otoh, is always f-ed up.

Quote:
Southbound on I-95 on Saturday mornings is atrocious from the Capital Beltway all the way to Fredericksburg. It’s better the earlier you can leave, but you can forget getting south of Fredericksburg in less than two hours after 9 a.m. This is quite possibly the worst stretch of highway traffic in the country.

It’s bad enough when it backs up during weekday rush hours, but when the road consistently backs up for 20+ miles on weekends (even after 10 p.m. on Sunday nights northbound), there’s a serious problem.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...w7AU_blog.html

Old 03-10-2015, 09:24 PM

2,790 posts, read 2,153,572 times
I feel sorry for the OP lol. This thread was actually starting to get good but then it took a 2.5 turn off the highway lol...

But on a serious note, I really don't believe in this going to a city and having to visit with a certain race or group of people to get to know the "real" city. That sounds kind of out there to me. But we are talking about influences and the relations between 2 cities and how they compare.

Here in on the far coast of Southern California, the Latinos are so integrated within the communities that you don't' even notice. The other day I visited a rent a center to rent out a laptop and all 5 attendants where hispanic. 1 Puerto Rican and 4 Mexicans. The Manager had been 10 years friends with the attendant that helped me and the other 2 were cousins. This is why many people don't get me and don't understand that I really get deep. Who else would get so personal with random store attendants in such a short period of time lol. Funny enough, they were very responsive and divulging such info. I have been up and down the coast from santa barbara, ventura, thousand oaks, and malibu and it's just a blend of people. However, I don't get a sense of family culture in terms of family history amongst the communities but I do get a sense that everyone is friend. But it's literally a melting pot in a way that I have never seen the minorities integrate so well in all areas of careers and services rendered, not just low end jobs.

In DC, while on the train everyday and depending on the line, you see diversity and even the malls you do but you take notice of it. But as some others have stated, DC seems to be extremely unique as I have noticed early on. Very interesting to see the lack of external influences. Again, not saying it is a bad thing but very interesting.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:19 AM

15,669 posts, read 18,223,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
In DC, while on the train everyday and depending on the line, you see diversity and even the malls you do but you take notice of it. But as some others have stated, DC seems to be extremely unique as I have noticed early on. Very interesting to see the lack of external influences. Again, not saying it is a bad thing but very interesting.
Washington DC is the seat of the most powerful government in the world. That is the big elephant in the room.

The entire U.S. presidential history, the U.S. Congress, Supreme Court, Pentagon, the Armed Forces, CIA, FBI, NASA, the World Bank, Patent and Trademark Office, Red Cross, IMF, etc., etc., are headquartered in this region. The "influence" mainly derives from that context.

I guess when a city is in such a unique position, it has a tendency to go beyond just regional influences.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Washington DC is the seat of the most powerful government in the world. That is the big elephant in the room.

The entire U.S. presidential history, the U.S. Congress, Supreme Court, Pentagon, the Armed Forces, CIA, FBI, NASA, the World Bank, Patent and Trademark Office, Red Cross, IMF, etc., etc., are headquartered in this region. The "influence" mainly derives from that context.

I guess when a city is in such a unique position, it has a tendency to go beyond just regional influences.
George Washington never lived in Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or