Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 02:08 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Do other races (white, Hispanic, Asian) try to experience African American culture in any city? They will try to experience Asian culture in San Francisco or New York. Latin culture in LA, Dallas, or Houston. Italian and Irish culture in Boston, NYC, and Philly. French culture in New Orleans. I don't think other races really care to experience African American culture in general. How do you think an entire race can be ignored in predominately African American cities across the nation? I can't remember an inquiry on here about learning or visiting African American communities by a non-African American, can you?

Just an observation......
Well I think we often use Food as a great way to break down cultural barriers and what not. I like going out to dinner and trying different things. African food has come in discussion. There are plenty of different ones to try here. Ethiopian places definitely pop into my mind first, but there are others:

Top Ethiopian Cuisine In Philadelphia « CBS Philly

http://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/201...a/#gallery-1-1

Is that what you meant by experiencing culture? I am pretty certain a lot of these places are doing really well.

Given that D.C. is a "chocolate city" (lol I got that from someone else the other day on here) and is a comparable hub for African Immigrants, does it offer the same type of cultural African offerings?

Outside of that though... I am going to generalize here.... I feel as though a lot more people go to D.C. for a purpose (job, family, etc.) where Philly attracts the drifters who might have already stopped in 3 different cities and just kind of want to do there own thing. Philadelphia is increasingly becoming gentrified with professionals and white collar jobs but on a whole it is still a very dynamic place representing a multitude of different people.

Fun fact is that the Federal Government is the biggest employer in both cities. More people work for the Feds in Philly than the actual city government or state government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 05:25 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
They're only 2.5-3 hours away, what's the strongest similarities and differences? Which do you prefer?
If it takes you 2.5-3 hrs to get from DC to Philly (120 miles) we might have to nickname you driving Ms Daisy on this board lol. 2hrs max

Old 03-09-2015, 06:25 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
If it takes you 2.5-3 hrs to get from DC to Philly (120 miles) we might have to nickname you driving Ms Daisy on this board lol. 2hrs max
no traffic 2 with traffic can be 5

Old 03-09-2015, 06:33 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
no traffic 2 with traffic can be 5
That's way over exaggerated. It doesn't even take me 5 hours to get to New York. It does not take 5 hours with traffic, traffic usually adds on 1-2 hours not 3....

Old 03-09-2015, 06:36 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
That's way over exaggerated. It doesn't even take me 5 hours to get to New York. It does not take 5 hours with traffic, traffic usually adds on 1-2 hours not 3....
holiday weekends have spent 5 hours plus to Philly driving if not no but can be the NJTP can have 3 hour backups alone for the trip to NYC

Old 03-09-2015, 06:48 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,563,890 times
Quote:
Traffic can do it definitely.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:30 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Traffic can do it definitely.
I agree with your initial estimate. DC to Philly is about 2.5-3 hrs assuming traffic.
The only way it's 2 hrs flat is if there's no road-work at all on 95, and you're travelling at a time when there's no traffic.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:43 PM

283 posts, read 463,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I agree with your initial estimate. DC to Philly is about 2.5-3 hrs assuming traffic.
The only way it's 2 hrs flat is if there's no road-work at all on 95, and you're travelling at a time when there's no traffic.
So never.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:26 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Well traffic of course is a common issue, but I've driven it in 2hrs flat on multiple occasions. You don't even need a heavy foot to get there that fast. 60 mph steady for 120 mile trip puts you right at 2hrs.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:31 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Well traffic of course is a common issue, but I've driven it in 2hrs flat on multiple occasions. You don't even need a heavy foot to get there that fast. 60 mph steady for 120 mile trip puts you right at 2hrs.
When you type "distance between Philadelphia and Washington DC" into google, Google Maps lists 2 hours and 34 minutes (138 miles). I'm sure there is variation based on where in DC you leave from, and I don't doubt that you have made it in 2 hrs before. I'm just saying it's not unreasonable to think that it would take someone 2.5 hrs (or even 3 with traffic/road work). I grew up in MD north of DC, and it always took 2 hrs driving normal speed, so I would assuming that coming from DC proper would be closer to 2.5 hrs. Again, I'm not saying you can't make the trip in 2hrs, but 2.5-3 hours (given certain conditions) is definitely not unreasonable either. That is the official time calculated in Google Maps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City