U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 10:56 AM

172 posts, read 215,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I think Nashville is very underrated when it comes to nightlife. People probably think of only country music when thinking of Nashville, which is understandable and correct (to an extent), but it's not 1997 anymore. Nightlife is a big boost to Nashville's economy. The city is also trying to decide whether to block off a fairly large area of downtown streets at night to allow open containers for pedestrians that are bar hopping. Seattle's is good too, it's just different. Nashville is just so heavily predicated on live music that it may not be as "good" or "worse" than another city, it's just.......different.

My best friend lives in Seattle, and when I saw this thread I asked him which city's nightlife he prefers between Seattle and Nashville and he said Nashville. And he hates country music. One of my friends lives in Brooklyn and brought a friend down to Nashville for 4 days when the Giants played the Titans a few months ago. The guy who was born and raised in NY had so much fun in Nashville that he didn't want to leave. I think it's a scene where people either love it or hate it.
I'm experienced both Seattle and Nashville's nightlife and in my opinion Seattle wins it by a good margin. There are just a lot more nightlife areas spread throughout the city, and a much higher quantity and variety of nightlife destinations. Add Seattle's awesome local brewery scene, a great craft cocktail culture, and one of the best happy hours scenes in the country, and it's hard not to pick Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 12:30 PM

2,955 posts, read 3,800,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard_ View Post
I'm experienced both Seattle and Nashville's nightlife and in my opinion Seattle wins it by a good margin. There are just a lot more nightlife areas spread throughout the city, and a much higher quantity and variety of nightlife destinations. Add Seattle's awesome local brewery scene, a great craft cocktail culture, and one of the best happy hours scenes in the country, and it's hard not to pick Seattle.
Many Seattle bars offer $3 craft beers and $5 burgers during many happy hours. It's a pretty good deal. Seattle's micro-brew scene is also expanding these past few months, at least in Ballard/Columbia City/Cap Hill.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:37 PM

1,581 posts, read 1,493,357 times
Quote:
The local brewery scene in the Seattle area is unmatched by nearly every place so that's hard to beat. Don't get me wrong, I love Seattle and as my two best friends live there I get there quite often. I'm curious when you were in Nashville though. In the last 4 or 5 years the city has essentially had a makeover because of a massive influx of millenials and a booming real estate market. There's a lot of gentrification and a lot of natives are being priced out.

I think there's a perception that Nashville's nightlife is essentially Lower Broadway (the honky tonk tourist bars) because it gets all the limelight and other areas of town don't get out in the public's eye very often. Midtown, The Gulch, East Nashville, Five Points, West End, Music Row, etc are all places more frequented by locals than Broadway and each area has more than enough going for it after dark. I think a lot of visitors to Nashville see the tourist areas as "must-see", whereas you couldn't pay a lot of locals to go there. But it is what it is for certain people.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
The local brewery scene in the Seattle area is unmatched by nearly every place so that's hard to beat. Don't get me wrong, I love Seattle and as my two best friends live there I get there quite often. I'm curious when you were in Nashville though. In the last 4 or 5 years the city has essentially had a makeover because of a massive influx of millenials and a booming real estate market. There's a lot of gentrification and a lot of natives are being priced out.

I think there's a perception that Nashville's nightlife is essentially Lower Broadway (the honky tonk tourist bars) because it gets all the limelight and other areas of town don't get out in the public's eye very often. Midtown, The Gulch, East Nashville, Five Points, West End, Music Row, etc are all places more frequented by locals than Broadway and each area has more than enough going for it after dark. I think a lot of visitors to Nashville see the tourist areas as "must-see", whereas you couldn't pay a lot of locals to go there. But it is what it is for certain people.
I was last there in 2011, so I'm sure it's improved since then. I went to a couple of the other areas you mentioned, but probably did spend most of my time in the touristy parts. Don't get me wrong, though - it's an impressive, unique nightlife scene, especially for a metro area of its size.

But Seattle just offers so much more, as you'd expect for a substantially larger metro and regional hub. In the urban core alone you’ve got distinct nightlife clusters in Belltown, Pioneer Square, Capitol Hill, Lower Queen Anne, First Hill, and several other areas. And that doesn’t even include nightlife hubs outside of the urban core in Ballard, Fremont, Georgetown, U-District, West Seattle, Greenwood.

I think these two google map pages (same scale) showing the search term "bars" in the core areas of Seattle and Nashville show what I mean. Obviously google isn't perfect but overall I think this paints a good picture. Keep in mind, this is only the urban core and doesn't show the outer nightlife areas in both cities.

Nashville: https://www.google.com/maps/search/b...86.7810397,14z

Seattle: https://www.google.com/maps/search/b...22.3513554,14z

Old 03-11-2015, 04:28 PM

1,581 posts, read 1,493,357 times
Quote:
I was last there in 2011, so I'm sure it's improved since then. I went to a couple of the other areas you mentioned, but probably did spend most of my time in the touristy parts. Don't get me wrong, though - it's an impressive, unique nightlife scene, especially for a metro area of its size.

But Seattle just offers so much more, as you'd expect for a substantially larger metro and regional hub. In the urban core alone you’ve got distinct nightlife clusters in Belltown, Pioneer Square, Capitol Hill, Lower Queen Anne, First Hill, and several other areas. And that doesn’t even include nightlife hubs outside of the urban core in Ballard, Fremont, Georgetown, U-District, West Seattle, Greenwood.

I think these two google map pages (same scale) showing the search term "bars" in the core areas of Seattle and Nashville show what I mean. Obviously google isn't perfect but overall I think this paints a good picture. Keep in mind, this is only the urban core and doesn't show the outer nightlife areas in both cities.

Nashville: https://www.google.com/maps/search/b...86.7810397,14z

Seattle: https://www.google.com/maps/search/b...22.3513554,14z
I think the whole debate is kind of a moot point because for better or worse, the main nightlife in Nashville is very tourist-oriented as I've mentioned and most people already know. I agree with the Google info about the higher concentration of bars in other parts of the city in Seattle than Nashville and I'm sure the reasons are plentiful. A lot of that may have to do with Seattle being much more public transit friendly, so people can safely get around town in different areas with no worries before and after a night out. In Nashville you either drive or take a cab/Uber. Maybe that's not it, I don't know. Nashville's public transit is hilariously bad, but it's just a sign of the quick growth that's outpacing the leaders of the city. I find Seattle very enjoyable and a little more my thing, but I guess I've just grown used to people coming to Nashville from out of town simply for the nightlife experience. When I really think about it, I think Seattle's nightlife is probably better if you live there and Nashville's nightlife is better for a quick two-night experience that's fun every once in awhile.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I think the whole debate is kind of a moot point because for better or worse, the main nightlife in Nashville is very tourist-oriented as I've mentioned and most people already know. I agree with the Google info about the higher concentration of bars in other parts of the city in Seattle than Nashville and I'm sure the reasons are plentiful. A lot of that may have to do with Seattle being much more public transit friendly, so people can safely get around town in different areas with no worries before and after a night out. In Nashville you either drive or take a cab/Uber. Maybe that's not it, I don't know. Nashville's public transit is hilariously bad, but it's just a sign of the quick growth that's outpacing the leaders of the city. I find Seattle very enjoyable and a little more my thing, but I guess I've just grown used to people coming to Nashville from out of town simply for the nightlife experience. When I really think about it, I think Seattle's nightlife is probably better if you live there and Nashville's nightlife is better for a quick two-night experience that's fun every once in awhile.
I can agree with that last statement somewhat - in the sense that if you're in Seattle for a short time you kind of need to know where to go, whereas in Nashville the main bar district is very central and obvious (although, as you said, there are other areas too). However, if you're in Seattle for a short time and someone directs you to the bustling nightlife districts in Capitol Hill, Belltown, or Ballard, you could have a great time. There are certain sections of Capitol Hill, for example, where there are 50-60 bars and nightlife spots in a relatively small area and the streets are packed with people on weekends. However, if you're staying in the downtown core and don't venture to places like Capitol Hill, Belltown, Pioneer Square, etc (let alone Ballard or Fremont) - which I imagine many tourists don't - you'll probably end up at some lame corporate bar or something not very interesting if you try and go out.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:04 AM

1 posts, read 644 times
Baltimore > Seattle > Oakland > Nashville

Old 07-09-2015, 11:54 AM

571 posts, read 563,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webpayj View Post
Baltimore > Seattle > Oakland > Nashville
Lol no. Seattle's nightlife blows the other three away. It's not even close.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:12 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,209,264 times
I would think Seattle wins handily, mainly for its sheer size and large young affluent population.

But of the other 3 (and I've never been to Baltimore), I would put Nashville at #2, easily. More varied than just the honky tonks on Broadway and Second. Definitely a party town.

Between Oakland and Baltimore? I wouldn't know. Never heard anything about Baltimore's nightlife, but Oakland is definitely bound to pleasantly surprise...not friendly for tourists though. You'd have to know someone there who can take you around. But I would guess Baltimore is the same way, surprise surprise.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:00 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,411,889 times
Nashville has Ton's of Black People, is not a ****** tonk town and every single thing about the City is not based on Country Music but it's interesting how most people seem to Stereo Type the City and have never been. People really need to get out to travel to Certain places to expose themselves and not believe the stereotypes. It's kinda funny when alot of Clueless people drive to these Places and are in for the Shock of there lives.

Last edited by JMT; 07-09-2015 at 05:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or