Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 01:41 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times

Advertisements

I don't believe this has been done before. High schools across the nation use buildings that are sometimes architectural gems in the community. Many cities are building new schools with a modern twist. Please post the best designed high schools around the country for each respective city based on their architecture. Should be fun and interesting to see what kind of buildings our youth are learning in these days. This is meant to be a friendly thread so please keep the trash talk and bashing for other threads. Thanks! Let the battle begin.

Here are the newest ones in D.C.:

Photo Gallery: A Look at the New Dunbar High School - Higher Learning - Curbed DC

D.C.'s New Ballou High School Also Meets Community Needs | Slide show | Engineering News-Record

This school had a recent renovation that looks pretty nice too:

http://tishmanconstruction.tishman.com/index.php?q=node/726

Im sure Seattle and NYC will win this debate though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 02:42 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
I like LAs older high schools as well. One big deference between West Cost high schools and the rest of the country is that they are less enclosed and more outdoor oriented due to weather considerations.

I think that Emerson building is arguably the best new piece of architecture to go up in LA since I moved here at the beginning of the decade.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:52 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,641,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I like LAs older high schools as well. One big deference between West Cost high schools and the rest of the country is that they are less enclosed and more outdoor oriented due to weather considerations.

I think that Emerson building is arguably the best new piece of architecture to go up in LA since I moved here at the beginning of the decade.
Munchitup can you post some of the older LA high schools? I've seen a few nice mid-century ones and there's that gorgeous old stone one near Silverlake/Los Feliz, but I don't know any of them by name.

Ditto on Emerson, btw. I wish we could get something of that caliber downtown.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:21 PM

WOW!!!! Those are amazing!

I don't see how any city will top those.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:34 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,641,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
WOW!!!! Those are amazing!

I don't see how any city will top those.
Yeah for some reason the public architecture in LA is often far better than private. High schools is one example, and low income housing is another. There are a couple low income projects in downtown that are built by high profile architects and are stunning.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:01 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
I like old brick high schools with Greek/Roman style columns and large glass windows. My high school looked like this, built in 1929 obviously in NJ. Any that look like this are most beautiful to me. I've always loved columns and that Roman influence, it's why I love American government buildings so much and why I had a field day in Rome.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:11 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Sorry, here's a picture of what I mean. It's not the best (it is my picture btw) but at least you can see the length of it and just see the columns and the little tower at the top. This is in small town NJ but is quite common for the region, so any high school in NYC that happens to look like this gets my vote, though city schools tend to look much different at least in Manhattan. Not sure as much about the outer boroughs. This to me is a classic high school design.
Attached Thumbnails
Battle of the best high school architectural designs NYC/DC/BOS/CHI/PHI/LA/SF/SEA/ATL/HOU/DAL?-image.jpg  

Old 03-13-2015, 07:30 AM

The ‘greenest’ school building in the world is in Washington - The Washington Post

Old 03-13-2015, 08:05 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Sorry, here's a picture of what I mean. It's not the best (it is my picture btw) but at least you can see the length of it and just see the columns and the little tower at the top. This is in small town NJ but is quite common for the region, so any high school in NYC that happens to look like this gets my vote, though city schools tend to look much different at least in Manhattan. Not sure as much about the outer boroughs. This to me is a classic high school design.
Older NYC schools even in outer boroughs tend to be huge (they were the biggest school buildings in the Americas at the time). We do not have 1-3 storey schools. I think a typical school would be in a 7-12 floor range and take up a whole block. We do have schools similar to the one in your pic though, for example Fort Hamilton HS or Midwood HS in Brooklyn, but again much bigger buildings.

Last edited by Gantz; 03-13-2015 at 08:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City