U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 11:55 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,707,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Houston could see a bit of a rise with their new bus routes and the new rail lines opening up this year. I'm surprised at DC though. I thought with the new silver line, it would easily be around 1 million passengers per day. I think the weekend kills it off though because nobody wants to ride metro when they are constantly fixing things.
Yeah, especially after the smoke incident on the older metro cars it has decreased ridership because passangers do not feel safe. Although they are replacing all cars on the Metro in these upcoming months so things will change quickly again.

Also metro needs to remove that nasty carpet for gods sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 12:32 PM

2,545 posts, read 4,853,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I wonder why the green line ridership in Boston dropped by so much.

The trolleys seemed as crowded as ever last year.
My guess would be it has something to do with the Government Center closure/rebuild. Safe to say 4-5% who normally used that station would be using Park St (Red) or Haymarket (Orange) instead.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:37 PM

21,945 posts, read 30,797,404 times
no commuter rail?

also some cities have missed transit PATCO subway in Philly or NJT River light rail line etc

actually it looks like you did add the commuter rail reading back

Old 03-10-2015, 02:05 PM

7,794 posts, read 11,724,981 times
I agree with the pleasant surprises.

SLC has pretty decent transit usage for a city their size. I've never been there, but I wouldn't have guessed that.

The fact that among the midsize metros, Denver has a lead over Portland despite having similar populations is something that goes against the grain of common thought. I wonder why Denver doesn't tout their transit more? It is clearly a great resource for the city.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
no commuter rail?

also some cities have missed transit PATCO subway in Philly or NJT River light rail line etc

actually it looks like you did add the commuter rail reading back
One problem I had was adding all of the various bus and rail systems outside the main system in each city. Some were easier done than others, some are non-existent on the list. For example, APTA doesn't receive reporting from the three suburban bus authorities in Atlanta. I tried the best I could, but some cities are missing some data unfortunately. I'm also not super familiar with all of the various networks in each city, so I kept it to the main authorities where it wasn't clear.

I will say what is missing though doesn't amount to much, at least not enough to affect the rankings. For the top 10, you can look at the numbers with a +/- 50k in ridership. A drop in the bucket in most of those cities.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:16 PM

On commuter rail, I didn't rank them since there are really only four cities that have a high usage separate commuter rail system: New York City, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Boston. Three other cities (Atlanta, San Francisco and DC) have hybrid commuter/city metro systems that would skew the metrics if combined with the separate systems for ranking purposes.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I'm always astonished at how much rail travel has grown in Chicago given the population hasn't. Most of it due to the tens of thousands of new jobs downtown. The Brown, Blue and Red lines especially on the north side have grown like crazy. Brown line has more than doubled.

Weekday Ridership overall:
1960: 594,000
1985: 577,000
1992: 418,000
1999: 526,000
2007: 601,000
2013: 754,000

+80% in 20 years, most of the growth on only a few of the lines.
Yes, that is quite the turnaround for Chicago.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:44 PM

21,945 posts, read 30,797,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
One problem I had was adding all of the various bus and rail systems outside the main system in each city. Some were easier done than others, some are non-existent on the list. For example, APTA doesn't receive reporting from the three suburban bus authorities in Atlanta. I tried the best I could, but some cities are missing some data unfortunately. I'm also not super familiar with all of the various networks in each city, so I kept it to the main authorities where it wasn't clear.

I will say what is missing though doesn't amount to much, at least not enough to affect the rankings. For the top 10, you can look at the numbers with a +/- 50k in ridership. A drop in the bucket in most of those cities.
mostly agree - appreciate the effort and sometimes has even more challenges for example NJT - has services for the NYC and Philly metros (proportionally higher for NYC) so can be even further complicated. For PATCO and the NJT River line I think it adds +/- 50K and with the AC and buses maybe only another 15-20K more so really not materially changing anything to your point

Appreciate the data and link - thanks

Old 03-10-2015, 02:49 PM

9,413 posts, read 4,311,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
On commuter rail, I didn't rank them since there are really only four cities that have a high usage separate commuter rail system: New York City, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Boston. Three other cities (Atlanta, San Francisco and DC) have hybrid commuter/city metro systems that would skew the metrics if combined with the separate systems for ranking purposes.
Did you include Caltrain for San Francisco's total? It is a separate system from BART and is a commuter rail line. Its ridership is above 52,000 on around 70 miles of track (the majority of which occurs between SJ and SF, somewhere around 40-50 miles of track). Just curious how you categorized it since you didn't seem to mention it in your post above.

Thanks for putting together this list. It is interesting!

Old 03-10-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Did you include Caltrain for San Francisco's total? It is a separate system from BART and is a commuter rail line. Its ridership is above 52,000 on around 70 miles of track (the majority of which occurs between SJ and SF, somewhere around 40-50 miles of track). Just curious how you categorized it since you didn't seem to mention it in your post above.

Thanks for putting together this list. It is interesting!
I did not (for some reason I had it in my head Caltrain was a line between the Bay Area and LA), but it would fall in that +/- 50K bucket. I did get most of the local bus and rail agencies though for Bay Area.

Last edited by waronxmas; 03-10-2015 at 03:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or