U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 11:38 AM

5 posts, read 11,521 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I know this question has been asked but I can't find anything recent in this specific situation. Right now I'm looking at 2 jobs, one is in Austin (50k) and the other is in LA (making about 55-60k). Will the difference in cost of living actually make these two salaries radically different? I don't have any debt, a car, and would want to live in downtown Austin vs Santa Monica

What is recreation like in both areas? I know Austin has great hiking, but it's also hot as hell most of the year. LA has great spots around it like Newport Beach, San Diego, easy jump to SF which is making me lean that direction. Which has better year-round golf that's affordable for a 21 year old guy?

Does UT Austin dominate downtown as much as I've heard? Is LA as spread out as I've heard?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 11:43 AM

559 posts, read 510,846 times
LA is very spread out, but I would choose it over Austin in a heartbeat.
Also, Santa Monica can get quite expensive so you have to consider that.... and LA really isn't an easy jump to SF. Takes over 6 hours.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:42 PM

5 posts, read 11,521 times
Any specific reasons you'd choose LA in a heartbeat? Also what about golfing?

Old 03-10-2015, 12:46 PM

559 posts, read 510,846 times
I love the SoCal vibe... mellow, laid-back, relaxed.
Also, you will never get bored in LA, it's the never-ending city.
Not too sure about golfing but I'd imagine you'd get what you need in both cities.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:10 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,307,283 times
A lot of ppl from Cali are moving to Austin.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:35 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,563,975 times
55k is not enough to live in Santa Monica. Unless you want to live in a studio or find roommates. Especially if you are going to have a car - unless you want to drive around in circles in Santa Monica searching for street parking, you are going to have to pay a little more for a place that includes parking (many apartments in SM do not come with parking). I can't tell if you are saying you have "no debt and a car" or "no debt and no car". You won't need a car for living in Santa Monica or other similar LA neighborhoods, but if you want to travel across the metro or to other cities, you will want to have a car.

Los Angeles has a wide variety of points of interest, all the way from Santa Monica and the Beach Cities to Pasadena in the northeast, from Long Beach in the south to West Hollywood in the northwest. Seems like Austin is more of a one-destination town, with the vast majority of events, nightlife and culture occurring in its core. That being said, LA is way more "city-like," as it is multiple times larger than Austin.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:41 PM

403 posts, read 399,385 times
Honestly I would choose Austin. Santa Monica is very expensive. 50K will go much farther in Austin than 55K-60K in LA. The traffic here is horrible. I hear Austin's traffic is pretty bad, but compared to LA, it's nothing. Austin is a thriving, affordable city for a new college grad! I'm sure UT is pretty dominant, but Austin is growing tremendously, with an influx of people from all over the country. There are so many transplants there, and a lot of them come from California and LA. Perhaps go to Austin for a couple years to check it out, if you don't like it you can always head to LA later when you've established your career and are making more money. LA and Santa Monica will always be here. That's what I would do, but everyone has different priorities.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:57 PM

5,500 posts, read 3,355,263 times
Recreation options in Los Angeles are very good, but it would be a lot wiser to keep an open mind about WHERE in Los Angeles you will hang your hat. Santa Monica is famous for a reason; for the same reason, it's expensive. I wouldn't plan on coming out to LA with a $55k salary and a determination that the only place for me is one of the more desirable and affluent spots in the whole metro.

I agree with the previous poster that your money will go much farther in Austin.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:27 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,479,810 times
Los Angeles is the clear favorite if you can afford it.

But if you're going to be struggling, maybe you should consider Austin. It will be cheaper (but still the most expensive option in Texas).

It's nightlife is surprisingly strong. Sixth Street at times can feel like a Las Vegas or New Orleans just everything shuts down at 2am.

Austin has some great hiking, you will be missing the ocean and the mountains.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:07 AM

633 posts, read 847,137 times
Angelenos who move to Austin do not so for city experience reason... They do it because they are priced out of LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or