U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your ideal amount of snow for a year?
0" 32 32.65%
1-5" 14 14.29%
5-10" 12 12.24%
10-25" 13 13.27%
25" or more 27 27.55%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 08:00 AM

10,847 posts, read 10,572,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
No, I'm pretty sure I enjoy snow but don't enjoy the flooding of water afterwards when it melts. Let me check again. ::thinks:: Yep, still enjoy snow but not the flooding. I also enjoy thunderstorms but not tornadoes. Oh, and I also like babies despite the mess they create, too.
it is like saying I like to shop but don't enjoy paying off credit card balance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 08:16 AM

275 posts, read 297,402 times
In areas with mainly deciduous flora, snow enlivens the landscape in winter. Without it, everything looks dead and that's depressing.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:28 AM

11,015 posts, read 21,568,106 times
I LOVE snow, bring it on!

We had a 20" snowfall here in February, which normally Chicago gets on average once every decade or so, and it was amazing.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:09 AM

3,919 posts, read 5,040,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
it is like saying I like to shop but don't enjoy paying off credit card balance.
Sure, or like saying I like to eat a large meal but don't enjoy cleaning up the dinner plates afterwards. And there's nothing wrong or incorrect with having such feelings.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:32 AM

10,847 posts, read 10,572,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Sure, or like saying I like to eat a large meal but don't enjoy cleaning up the dinner plates afterwards. And there's nothing wrong or incorrect with having such feelings.
no, it is different. You don't have to clean the plates after dinner - there is dishwashers, or you can eat at restaurants, or your mother can wash them for it.

however, the mess created by the snow is inevitable and you can't escape that (in theory, you could fly to a different city once the slush starts to show every time there is snow).

Old 03-17-2015, 09:58 AM

3,919 posts, read 5,040,632 times
Quote:
no, it is different. You don't have to clean the plates after dinner - there is dishwashers, or you can eat at restaurants, or your mother can wash them for it.

however, the mess created by the snow is inevitable and you can't escape that (in theory, you could fly to a different city once the slush starts to show every time there is snow).
One could make the exact argument regarding your shopping/credit card analogy and, given the means, even snow.

I will state my opinion again: I like snow, but I don't enjoy the flooding that may occur after the snow melts. There are numerous things in life that one can like or enjoy without having to like or enjoy a negative consequence of such things. I gave several examples of such things, none of which are invalid, because they are my opinion. Yours may be different, but then that's your opinion. Hell, I even enjoy shopping but don't necessarily enjoy paying the credit card bill afterwards. The two don't have to go hand-in-hand.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:55 AM

3,057 posts, read 5,235,803 times
It's funny that the poll shows 25 inches as being "lots of snow."

We get about 50" per year where I live, and from my perspective that is a little on the wimpy side. But I compare our weather to the northern/western parts of MI that get can easily get 100" of snow in a winter season (or 200" in the upper peninsula). To me, that is what qualifies as a LOT of snow (and I would love it). 25" would be a very disappointing winter.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:02 AM

3,057 posts, read 5,235,803 times
Quote:

I like snow and I like the mess it creates. I have muck boots and I like to wear them. Boom. Try to disprove that one.

Also, your analogy is a failure. Even if you are just loading dishes into the dishwasher, you are still doing work to take care of the mess you created in order to eat a delicious meal that you enjoyed.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:54 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,711,641 times
Best: To look at a place with snow on a postcard.

Worst: To live in it.

I like to see postcards of cities or really photographic pictures of snow, especially in some of the urban parks with the cityscape in the background and the trees in the foreground. It looks pretty that way.

Though key word, I like to "look" at that in a picture. Wouldn't want to be anywhere near a frigid city in actual life. So, 0 inches of snow for me of these poll choices, zero winter too.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:02 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,709,900 times
We always expect snow, and always over 25 inches. So 25 is a given amount. Based on that what's best is to keep it in a range of 25 -50. That would be ideal, unlike this year where it's over 110 inches and more coming.

But like life the weather is unpredictable and we deal with the cards where dealt. Just glad April is not far off, and this winter will come to an END!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City