U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 01:14 PM

4,559 posts, read 2,521,096 times

Advertisements

Damn that map at the bottom was pretty interesting with the metro totals! People talk crap on the Detroit Area and Michigan but there are still almost 300,000 people working in these industries. I was surprised how low the totals for a lot of the southern metros. Just goes to show how Texas, ATL, and I guess D.C. dominate a very large region
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 01:26 PM

4,133 posts, read 5,945,094 times
The first five are well-chosen, IMO, considering there is no definitive metric to measure intellectualism

For numbers 6 through 10, I'd certainly add two west Coast tech cities for their intellectual capital:

Seattle
San Jose

For their medical and artistic intellectual capital I'd add these two:

Philadelphia
Minneapolis

And yes, I'd make the fifth city to be

Los Angeles

In addition to being the pop culture capital of the US, LA has great colleges and universities, top-notch medical institutions, and has spawned lots of good writers. Everybody there is not an air-headed bleached blond.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:57 PM

4,265 posts, read 7,190,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The first five are well-chosen, IMO, considering there is no definitive metric to measure intellectualism

For numbers 6 through 10, I'd certainly add two west Coast tech cities for their intellectual capital:

Seattle
San Jose

For their medical and artistic intellectual capital I'd add these two:

Philadelphia
Minneapolis

And yes, I'd make the fifth city to be

Los Angeles

In addition to being the pop culture capital of the US, LA has great colleges and universities, top-notch medical institutions, and has spawned lots of good writers. Everybody there is not an air-headed bleached blond.
I think those are very arguable additions, although I tend to group San Jose with SF, however, as they do form a cohesive urban unit.

Aside from industry/research, I think another strong factor of intellectualism is the extent to which educational achievement is present in the resident population. This "Measure of America" map ranks the top 25 metro areas in the US based on a composite score of educational attainment and school enrollment among children. It does generally correlate with what has been established by the OP as the "top 5" cities: DC (1st), Boston (2nd) and SF (3rd), New York (6th) and Chicago (10th).

Other cities scoring highly are Minneapolis (4th), Philadelphia (5th), Denver (7th) Pittsburgh (8th) and Baltimore (9th).

HDI Map

Old 03-11-2015, 02:00 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,756,494 times
The problem with this thread is that City-Data is filled with people that like to question every little detail, so don't expect it to lift off or to get much of a conversation from it, other than argument as to WHY exactly the OP chose the original 5. LOL.

Also, not sure why Los Angeles doesn't make the top 5. Perhaps, some homer bias on my part, but it is the top producer of creative content in the U.S., and the capital of creative talent/peoples, right alongside NYC...this is many fields, not just Hollywood dominated ones (including but not exclusive to, dramatic arts, animation, graphic novels, writing, architecture, photography, video games etc etc etc).

So the question is what is defined as intellectual, as I definitely consider creative pursuits and production to be a direct demonstration of human intellect at its finest. Not to mention that such mediums have a heavy influence on the psyche of individuals and how they perceive the world.

Lastly, if you are looking at traditional anchors of intellectual prowess, then universities like Cal-Tech, UCLA and USC are not to be taken lightly, by any accounts. Not to mention liberal arts colleges like the Claremonts, where Pomona and Harvey Mudd continually rank in the top spots.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:07 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,567,366 times
Hard to see Los Angeles outside of the 6-10 range, and probably could make a case for being in the top 5. For example, I'm not sure Chicago has a strong case for being more intellectual than Los Angeles.

UCLA and USC are two of the country's most prestigious universities, and if you count Cal Tech (you should) then that puts LA in very elite company. Not many cities can claim to have three highest-quality universities in the city limits / inner suburbs.

Boston is definitely a more "intellectual" city, particularly when you go by % of residents who consider themselves intellectuals or career students/professors. Harvard, BU, BC, Northeastern, Wellesley, Tufts, etc.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:12 PM

27,612 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameCreativity View Post
Yes, but lists often provide the parameters they used to create the ranking. I can provide several 6-10 lists, but they are meaningless without telling you how I defined 'intellectualism'. So, what are the data you and your buddies used to get 1-5?
-Jeopardy/Wheel of Fortune/Family Feud winners per capita
-Median SAT and AP Exam scores
-No. of MENSA members

Old 03-11-2015, 02:14 PM

21,945 posts, read 30,810,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
-No. of MENSA members
I think you forgot number of CD forumers per city - probably the single best indicator

Old 03-11-2015, 02:17 PM

27,612 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think you forgot number of CD forumers per city - probably the single best indicator
Does that include dummy (heh) accounts?

Old 03-11-2015, 02:18 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,756,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Hard to see Los Angeles outside of the 6-10 range, and probably could make a case for being in the top 5. For example, I'm not sure Chicago has a strong case for being more intellectual than Los Angeles.

UCLA and USC are two of the country's most prestigious universities, and if you count Cal Tech (you should) then that puts LA in very elite company. Not many cities can claim to have three highest-quality universities in the city limits / inner suburbs.

Boston is definitely a more "intellectual" city, particularly when you go by % of residents who consider themselves intellectuals or career students/professors. Harvard, BU, BC, Northeastern, Wellesley, Tufts, etc.
Even looking at traditional markers of 'intellectual prowess' like innovation, which is often linked to patents, the city of Los Angeles produces the 4th highest number of patents after San Jose, San Francisco and New York City (btw, California overall is truly a powerhouse state in this area, no doubt). Patenting Prosperity: Invention and Economic Performance in the United States and its Metropolitan Areas | Brookings Institution
Per Capita, LA produces more patents than cities like NY, Chicago, Washington D.C. (all on the OP's top 5)...though it is way behind cities like San Jose, San Francisco, San Diego, Austin on a per capita basis.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:20 PM

171 posts, read 159,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
-No. of MENSA members
I'm sure it could have been something simpler and less sarcastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or