U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-14-2015, 05:38 PM
 
1,353 posts, read 1,135,440 times
Reputation: 790

Advertisements

^^^Not really. Jax is pretty country. There are "locals". But, Jax is about 50+% (maybe 60+%) northern/south FL transplant, which is a different breed of person you won't find in OKC, so it offsets the "country" aspect. Also depends on which part of town.

Parts of the Southside and parts of the Beaches are all transplants from NYC, DC, PA, Chicago, Miami, CA, Atlanta, etc. Parts of the westside/northside are impoverished blacks and country whites all living together. There are exceptions to both rules, but that's generally how it goes.

The "progressives" tend to live between Riverside and Springfield, maybe parts of Atlantic/Neptune Beach. These are your hyper liberal white folks (among others) who are doing their best to see a future Jacksonville that looks and feels like a real city and they don't mind living next to a crack house.

Jax probably has a larger gay scene, though it's DISMALLY small. If you're gay in FL, you would probably rather be in:
Orlando where there are abundant theater and similar opportunities for the creative side (through Disney, Universal, tourism, etc)
Fort Lauderdale where there is a huge, incestuous and permiscuous gay party population
Miami Beach where the sophisticated ones go
Key West, which is just GAY

The gayest parts of town are also Riverside/Avondale and Springfield, with lots at the beach too.


The other difference I'd say between Jax and OKC is that you're going to have a different kind of wealthy person in Jax and due to their larger sphere of influence, that extends to how you may perceive and be impacted by the city.

There are lots of wealthy retirees, former hedge fund managers, people who traded $1M 2 bedroom homes in NYC for $400k 3-4 BR homes in the suburbs of Jax and have *cash*, etc which you don't get in OKC beyond the extent that there's oil money. You also have some seriously old money in Jax with representative family members of all the big families who used to winter vacation in the area and sprouted offshoots. Like Carnegie, Astor, DuPont, Vanderbilt, etc etc. They remain "low-key" in Jax as opposed to "in the scene" in Miami...

At the end of the day, it's a SMALL town. Based on what I've seen or read about, DT OKC might be a more interesting place than DT Jax. But outside of that, I'd think Jax actually offers a substantial amount more than OKC and it puts you on the "coast", which you'll feel is quite a difference than flyover country.

Having the 95 corridor and being in a state such as FL exposes you to a lot more opportunity and people than being in Oklahoma, which frankly nobody cares about and it could fall through the earth and nobody would notice (no offense). NOT that Jax is center of the universe, but being on the 95 corridor in FL and being on the water with a port and between Atlanta and Miami, it's "known" and it puts you closer via flight or car or Amtrak to the rest of the country.

And as others have mentioned, within 2-3 hours you have Orlando, Tampa/St. Pete, St. Augustine which is in the metro, Fernandina/Amelia Island in the metro, Savannah, Cape Canaveral, FSU and UF (you'll need to become a fan of one or the other).

Within 5-6 hours by car you have Miami and Atlanta, and other cities.

You're just closer to things. Just don't expect the people to be all that much more progressive and liberal than in OKC. The whole state really is backwards. It's where people go to escape taxes, escape government, and just as other states send their homeless to SF, states send their sexual predators to FL, which welcomes them with open arms. It's a state that gets wrecked by hurricanes let allows RV and mobile home parks practically everywhere (as opposed to CA which gets earthquakes but does it's darndest to limit damage by enforcement of construction code).

Just keep all that in mind. You have things like "Stand your ground" laws and UT may have just legalized death penalty by firing squad - expect FL to admire and do the same. It's that type of place. It's illegal to mention "climate change" in FL, of ALL STATES. I'm just saying...

Knuckle up and move to a big boy place - a real city. You need to experience it once in your life and say you did it. You'll grow up, grow some cajunes, and be a better, bigger person as a result.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2015, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
5,787 posts, read 6,335,815 times
Reputation: 3118
^^anon, aside from being a tad cynical, pretty much hits it on the mark. I'd paint everything in a brighter light, but acknowledge most of the same things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Other than that I would have to go with Jacksonville. I don't like "country" culture and OKC is just too countryfied. While Jacksonville is conservative, it doesn't have the country culture that OKC has.
Jax has a lot of country culture. Maybe it's just more segregated and more easily avoided. Or maybe I don't know what real country culture is. But I'm pretty sure most outsiders see large portions of Jax as redneck-ville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
KCMO, I totally understand what you mean about "country" culture. That is one of my biggest gripes about living in OKC. Despite being a decent sized city it feels like I am living in a small town. Because the city doesn't have any real urban areas (Bricktown doesn't count) you can't escape it. I am guessing Jacksonville is better in that regard?
Jax doesn't have a real urban area either. Jax's downtown was decimated by your typical causes: white flight, interstates and bridges dividing neighborhoods, and sprawling development due to cheap suburban land. But a few things somewhat unique to Jax's situation are the plethora of office parks (supposedly "invented" in Jacksonville) which drew lots and lots of companies to office outside downtown, government consolidation with the county (leaving no one in politics to represent the interests and constituents of the downtown area, aka the old city limits) and the incredibly demolition-crazed governments of the past several decades that razed more than half of downtown and surrounding areas.

That said, Jax does have great historical streetcar suburbs. Because it is one of the oldest cities in the south, many of the early neighborhoods were built around an extremely extensive streetcar system. This has left a decent number of relatively dense, walkable neighborhoods built around commercial corridors...at least the ones that weren't affected too much by all the demolition. So, to answer your question, Jax doesn't have real urban areas just like OKC, but it does have a handful of quasi-urban historical neighborhoods that give a semblance of urbanity.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 10:59 AM
Status: "Praise Be" (set 18 days ago)
 
Location: Trumpville
7,258 posts, read 3,277,493 times
Reputation: 6300
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Knuckle up and move to a big boy place - a real city. You need to experience it once in your life and say you did it. You'll grow up, grow some cajunes, and be a better, bigger person as a result.
I agree with this. I really don't want to spend so much time and energy into a move to Jacksonville when I may not be much happier there than I am in OKC. It's just an easy option I have and it will be much more difficult for me to make a move somewhere I really want to be. I think it would be an improvement from every I've heard and read, but still not what I am ultimately looking for. I have lived in a big city before but I had to move because of the Great Recession. I got offered a great job in OKC and thought the city was large enough that I could be happy here and boy was I wrong. I spend one weekend per month at least in Dallas just to keep my sanity. Moving back to my old city is not easily doable since my entire circle of friends I had when I lived there are now all married or have moved themselves.

What really sucks about this situation is I can't afford to move without a job and there are few things more difficult than a long distance job search. Most employers in other markets see an out of state address and won't even consider that person.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Denver
13,976 posts, read 18,695,428 times
Reputation: 8380
Don't move to Jacksonville, it's not what you're looking for. Beaches are nice and it's pretty underrated as a whole but if OKC is too small, then Jax will be too small.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 09:51 PM
Status: "Praise Be" (set 18 days ago)
 
Location: Trumpville
7,258 posts, read 3,277,493 times
Reputation: 6300
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Don't move to Jacksonville, it's not what you're looking for. Beaches are nice and it's pretty underrated as a whole but if OKC is too small, then Jax will be too small.
It's not that OKC is too small population wise its that the city fights far below its weight. I could easily live somewhere like New Orleans, Memphis, Louisville, or Raleigh. Those cities are right around the same size as OKC but the difference they actually feel like cities. They actually have urban districts with character, history, nightlife and street life. OKC feels quite a bit smaller than it actually is because its so sprawled and its downtown is dead in comparison to other cities (though locals say its much, much better than it was several years ago). Plus when you add the "country" culture it completely kills any kind of urban feel the place could have. Based on what people have said I am assuming that is also the case somewhat with Jacksonville though may not quite to the same extent.

I think I am going to do what I can to actually get to a major city that I think I would be truly happy in. I am approaching 30 and have moved several times since graduating college and I am ready to find somewhere I really like and stay there. I would hate to move to Jacksonville and spend all my time wishing I was somewhere else like I currently am in OKC.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
5,787 posts, read 6,335,815 times
Reputation: 3118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I would hate to move to Jacksonville and spend all my time wishing I was somewhere else like I currently am in OKC.
I agree, and I wouldn't want you to go through that so I really wasn't planning on posting again in a pro-Jax manner. But when you say you could easily live in Memphis, Louisville or Raleigh I get confused. I don't consider those places to have big city feel either, and to be honest don't think they offer anything more than Jax does. Not knocking any of them, they all have some very nice attributes, but overall the sum is no greater than what Jax has. "Character, history, nightlife and street life" are available in the half dozen Jax neighborhoods that are touted on this site.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2015, 05:38 AM
Status: "Praise Be" (set 18 days ago)
 
Location: Trumpville
7,258 posts, read 3,277,493 times
Reputation: 6300
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I agree, and I wouldn't want you to go through that so I really wasn't planning on posting again in a pro-Jax manner. But when you say you could easily live in Memphis, Louisville or Raleigh I get confused. I don't consider those places to have big city feel either, and to be honest don't think they offer anything more than Jax does. Not knocking any of them, they all have some very nice attributes, but overall the sum is no greater than what Jax has. "Character, history, nightlife and street life" are available in the half dozen Jax neighborhoods that are touted on this site.
I am not sure how they compare to Jax but compared to OKC they have much more of a "city" feel. Of course, I would pick Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, DC, etc over them any day. I have visited those cities though and had a great time in them and would say they all have a soul that OKC lacks. Living there may be a different story though as cities in that size range, with the exception of Raleigh, generally aren't very transient and I am ultimately looking for a transient city.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2015, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Denver
13,976 posts, read 18,695,428 times
Reputation: 8380
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It's not that OKC is too small population wise its that the city fights far below its weight. I could easily live somewhere like New Orleans, Memphis, Louisville, or Raleigh. Those cities are right around the same size as OKC but the difference they actually feel like cities. They actually have urban districts with character, history, nightlife and street life. OKC feels quite a bit smaller than it actually is because its so sprawled and its downtown is dead in comparison to other cities (though locals say its much, much better than it was several years ago). Plus when you add the "country" culture it completely kills any kind of urban feel the place could have. Based on what people have said I am assuming that is also the case somewhat with Jacksonville though may not quite to the same extent.

I think I am going to do what I can to actually get to a major city that I think I would be truly happy in. I am approaching 30 and have moved several times since graduating college and I am ready to find somewhere I really like and stay there. I would hate to move to Jacksonville and spend all my time wishing I was somewhere else like I currently am in OKC.
New Orleans is a whole different animal. It dwarfs OKC, Memphis, Raleigh, and Jax as far as big city feel. I wouldn't consider Memphis, Louisville, or Raleigh if that's what you're looking for. They are probably good but they aren't known for their urbanity.

I've been to Jax once, went downtown, to the burbs, to the beach, and to St. Aug. I wouldn't consider it for you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2015, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
5,787 posts, read 6,335,815 times
Reputation: 3118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I am not sure how they compare to Jax but compared to OKC they have much more of a "city" feel. Of course, I would pick Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, DC, etc over them any day. I have visited those cities though and had a great time in them and would say they all have a soul that OKC lacks. Living there may be a different story though as cities in that size range, with the exception of Raleigh, generally aren't very transient and I am ultimately looking for a transient city.
Jax is transient, that's for sure. Most of FL is. Anyway, seriously, I would think you can find opportunity in Dallas, Houston, Atlanta. Those are cheap big cities with good employment opps so just take the plunge!! DC, NYC, etc obviously have much higher cost so riskier move, but if you're good with the big southern cities then go for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I've been to Jax once, went downtown, to the burbs, to the beach, and to St. Aug. I wouldn't consider it for you.
Ah, but did you go to all the historic neighborhoods near downtown? These were all built around Jax's streetcar system, which was one of the largest in the country. In its heyday, it was three times larger than New Orleans' is today (sorry...not sure how large the New Orleans system was at its peak) Not trying to talk like Jax is the **** cause it's not, but for people who don't know anything about these areas, it's a very nice surprise to discover.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2015, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL/Tokyo, Japan
1,699 posts, read 1,479,278 times
Reputation: 699
Don't know anything about Oklahoma City, but just be warned don't expect a bigger city in Jax. It's a glorified military town that annexed every suburb imaginable just to pretend it's a big city. For whatever reason, some fortune 500 companies are setting up base there, which is why I imagine you're even flirting with this idea.

Here is the rub, OKC might even be a bigger and more urban city but Jax will have better weather (much warmer winters, none of that snow and ice you get where at the same time you will have comparable summers but a beach to cool off in) and beaches. You also wouldn't be as isolated as you were. Atlanta, Orlando, Tampa and even Miami were mentioned, but also don't forget Savannah Georgia which is very close (like 1-2 hours) and is a fun party town with southern flair.

I say make the move if you're depressed in OKC.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top