U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 08:31 AM

7,258 posts, read 3,280,003 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Oklahoma City and and might have the opportunity to move to Jacksonville FL. Being a city person I am pretty unhappy in OKC but am wondering if Jacksonville would be that much better or if I would be wasting my time and effort. I prefer larger cities and have never considered moving to Jacksonville. I know as far as weather and location in Florida Jacksonville wins hands down. I also know both cities are known for their sprawl, slow pace, and not being the most politically progressive places. They are not the most popular places on forums like this for a reason. Most threads I've found contrasting these two cities pretty much go with Jacksonville being better because of the weather and coastal location. That I know. As far as the cities themselves go, I have heard some people say Jacksonville blows away OKC but others say it doesn't. I have never been to Jacksonville and doing exploring on street view doesn't paint a very pretty picture, but I know that I can't judge a city without visiting in person.

Can anybody who has been to both contrast these two cities? I know geography and national perception favors Jacksonville but I am more interested in culture and how life in the two cities compare. What does Jacksonville have that OKC doesn't and vice versa? Does Jacksonville feel like a "big small town" like OKC does or will I feel like I am in a real city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 08:58 AM

27,747 posts, read 24,748,456 times
These should be helpful:

Moving Forward: Oklahoma City | Metro Jacksonville (2009)
Downtown Revitalization: Oklahoma City | Metro Jacksonville (2012)

Old 03-11-2015, 11:01 PM

5,787 posts, read 6,339,183 times
^Great links. Metrojax is an awesome resource for not only Jax but many other cities as well.

Umm, I do not think there's that much difference. I've never been to OKC so I speak from second-hand knowledge only (I oddly have six different friends from Jax who have spent a great deal of time in OKC) and from what I gather, Jax would be an improvement but perhaps not enough to justify the change. If you want a big city you should find a way to get to one.

That said, what is it that you seek in a big city? I see elements of "big city living" entering the Jax landscape in the next few years, and within a 5-10 year window urban Jacksonville will be a pretty awesome place. On the other hand, if what you want is a massive population, that brings with it a plethora of cultural activities, arts, ethnic foods, etc that can only be supported by several million people, then Jax won't be a good landing spot for a few more decades. The population is what it is. With only 1.4 million people, you will end up seeing a lot of the same folks if you go barhopping in the same neighborhoods. You will see the same faces in politics/business as this is still a good-ol-boys kinda town. Aside from Vietnamese and Indian food, great Asian cuisine is impossible to come by. These are just a few drawbacks that can't really be overcome anytime soon simply cause Jax aint that big.

But if you just want more bustling urban areas, more history and character, etc, then Jax might be able to satisfy your needs, if not now then in the near future.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:08 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,511,398 times
You are unhappy in OKC. Move to Jacksonville and see if it makes you happy. If not, there is no reason you couldn't be unhappy there..............and look for another place from there.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:16 AM

1,307 posts, read 2,065,655 times
Tough choice: they are two of the least urban cities in the U.S. Jacksonville has a beach??

Old 03-14-2015, 05:07 AM

27,747 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Tough choice: they are two of the least urban cities in the U.S. Jacksonville has a beach??
Yes it does...look at it on a map.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
This is true. I would really like the weather and location of Jacksonville over OKC. Having the beach nearby and not having to live with the constant threat of tornadoes is enough that it would be a reasonable increase in quality of life going from OKC to Jacksonville. However, I also want to be in a more urban city. OKC and Jacksonville are around the same size and while Jacksonville is ahead of OKC it isn't by all that much. Also, unless I am considering moving to a truly booming town like Austin or Portland, its never good to hang my hat on what a place has the potential to become in the future over what it is.

I may plan a visit out to Jacksonville soon to see it for myself.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:30 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
I have been to both cities a ton of times. They are actually quite similar in many ways, but still quite different. They are very similar in size and both pretty conservative. Neither is big enough to have a lot of amenities.

I think the best thing OKC has going for it is cheap suburban housing. If all you want is a new home in a suburban/rural setting and can put up with the extreme weather in the spring and summer, then OKC is fine.

Other than that I would have to go with Jacksonville. I don't like "country" culture and OKC is just too countryfied. While Jacksonville is conservative, it doesn't have the country culture that OKC has.

Weather in Jacksonville is simply better. No way around that. It's not San Diego, but it's not OKC either.

Northern Florida is a better location. OKC is in the middle of nowhere. Dallas is almost twice as far as Orlando is from Jax and I think there is just more to do in Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Atlanta and the beaches than in the I-35 corridor of OK an TX.

Jacksonville has the rivers and beaches. There is a lot of water culture there. OKC?

I personally just do not like OKC at all. But a lot of people do I guess.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:56 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,336,466 times
Jacksonville wins here. There are so many good things happening for Jacksonville that it is finally coming into its own. For me Jacksonville offers more culture, things to do, and is closer to larger cities. Jacksonville is a comfortable and relatively inexpensive alternative to Orlando and Tampa.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:10 PM

KCMO, I totally understand what you mean about "country" culture. That is one of my biggest gripes about living in OKC. Despite being a decent sized city it feels like I am living in a small town. Because the city doesn't have any real urban areas (Bricktown doesn't count) you can't escape it. I am guessing Jacksonville is better in that regard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or