U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 02:22 PM

4,648 posts, read 3,034,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Maybe it's because most people love their families more than the city they reside in?
Can't give you any more rep!

That was certainly the case with my family, and my Dad was a native.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 02:44 PM

5,602 posts, read 3,493,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Guy View Post
How many people have actually done this before? Seems like the trend is always the opposite.

My wife and I are making this move back because we want comfort, familiarity, and proximity to family. We like the 4 distinct seasons (even the snow at first); the large reduction in bugs, snakes and other critters; the gigantic lake; among other comforts and familiarity that come from growing up not too far away.

We have our reasons, but still: I can't help but feel like we're a little crazy for doing this. I really hope this isn't something that we regret. There is such a thing as "wisdom of the crowds", and as far as I know, not a whole lot of people do this (I could be wrong though).

Has anyone ever heard of this kind of thing happening?
Youre not crazy at all. Home is where the heart is. I dont know what it is about the Midwest, but it definitely has a certain charm that I really enjoyed. It was hard to leave, it really was. I wont lie when I said my drive to Arizona when we moved was full of anguish and heartache. I pined to return home, I hated AZ. Ive grown to love it here, but my heart will always be in Illinois. Always.

Good luck on your move! Cleveland is a cool city. Its a shame its fallen into disrepair in recent times, but it looks like its on the upswing (which is true about many big Midwestern cities).

Old 03-13-2015, 02:48 PM

5,991 posts, read 7,944,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
No. This is a huge oversimplification of what took place. There was no way to do this for the vast numbers of people that were displaced by the almost total economic collapse of the region. You simply can not impose your experience on the millions of people that were forced to leave.

And as a native Floridian, my Mother hated Cleveland and cried for joy when we left.
What collapse? The Great Recession? The Great Depression? The decline of the Steel Belt in the 1950's??

Old 03-13-2015, 03:08 PM

3,844 posts, read 7,819,701 times
^Also, "millions" didn't flee Cleveland.

Cleveland MSA is down 250K from it's peak in the 1970's
Cleveland CSA may actually be up.

For a region that had to go through what Cleveland went through , that's not too bad.

Also, many indications show the bleedings has stopped or even reversed, I.e. this thread.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:11 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,006,615 times
This isn't strange at all. One of my best friends in high school moved back to New York, even some of the New York/New Jersey transplants move back! Seriously, this place isn't for everyone, and it always baffles me that some folks blindly move here judging by some of the CD threads I read. "I want to move to Raleigh but I don't know why."

Old 03-13-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
^Also, "millions" didn't flee Cleveland.

Cleveland MSA is down 250K from it's peak in the 1970's
Cleveland CSA may actually be up.

For a region that had to go through what Cleveland went through , that's not too bad.

Also, many indications show the bleedings has stopped or even reversed, I.e. this thread.
I was speaking of the Rust Belt as a whole, not just Cleveland.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
What collapse? The Great Recession? The Great Depression? The decline of the Steel Belt in the 1950's??
If it was the Great Depression, I highly doubt I would be sitting here writing this would I?

I'm talking about the period from the early 70's on.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:23 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,610,006 times
I hate winter I would hate that move but Cleveland has a nice cost of living and its a pretty nice city overall it gets a bad rap from the media and from people a lot of that has to do with its lousy sports teams and people in the USA tend to not like the so called Rust Belt region of the US and cities like Cleveland, Buffalo, Detroit and Pittsburgh.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:39 PM

290 posts, read 464,971 times
You are not crazy for wanting to relocate to Cleveland, the city is definitely on the upswing. I personally would not be able to handle the winter/lake effect snow. Good luck.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:59 AM

11,040 posts, read 13,425,481 times
I might jump on the Cleveland bandwagon myself. Currently I live in southwestern Connecticut and it's way too expensive for a single person to afford a home. It will take me 15 years until I can afford a home down payment here. And I hate the fast paced, heavy traffic lifestyle here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or