U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 09:52 AM

18,595 posts, read 26,961,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I also think this is why Charlotte and other nearby Southern major/mid major areas are becoming more popular along with those TX metros.
It is. Charlotte and Raleigh is now a stopping point for the Northeastern transplants and Nashville is starting to become a stopping point for Midwestern transplants as well. Many find themselves very comfortable in these cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 09:53 AM

6,816 posts, read 6,922,993 times
Meh, with this huge oil bust going in Houston, I'm not sure anymore...it does not have the federal or state government presence like Atlanta or D.C. does which is where a lot of blacks are employed in.

And Atlanta economy is on the up and up. Atlanta is still top 10 in terms of job growth...it's job growth grew just as fast as Boston and almost as fast as SF did. Stop acting like Atlanta's Detroit. It's not. Economic predictions continued to spotlight Atlanta while Houston is beginning to falter and unravel after it's mega boom of the last 2-3 years.

Don't be surprise by mid-2016 that Atlanta's economy is one of the best in the country again. State growth literally has risen nearly 50% from 2013 to 2014 which generally translate to accelerated growth in the Atlanta metro. Blacks may not be moving here in droves anymore, but someone is, and it's probably Asians and Latinos, and maybe even whites.

Low oil gas prices will continue to help Atlanta and accelerate it's economy. Let's not mention the continued job expansions being announced and companies who relocate here.

http://manpower.us/Website-File-Pile...ey-Q2-2015.pdf

Atlanta is top 10 in terms of Net Employment outlook with Charlotte and Seattle, but let's continue to circlejerk Atlanta has no jobs.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:13 AM

18,595 posts, read 26,961,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Meh, with this huge oil bust going in Houston, I'm not sure anymore...it does not have the federal or state government presence like Atlanta or D.C. does which is where a lot of blacks are employed in.

And Atlanta economy is on the up and up. Atlanta is still top 10 in terms of job growth...it's job growth grew just as fast as Boston and almost as fast as SF did. Stop acting like Atlanta's Detroit. It's not. Economic predictions continued to spotlight Atlanta while Houston is beginning to falter and unravel after it's mega boom of the last 2-3 years.

Don't be surprise by mid-2016 that Atlanta's economy is one of the best in the country again. State growth literally has risen nearly 50% from 2013 to 2014 which generally translate to accelerated growth in the Atlanta metro. Blacks may not be moving here in droves anymore, but someone is, and it's probably Asians and Latinos, and maybe even whites.

Low oil gas prices will continue to help Atlanta and accelerate it's economy. Let's not mention the continued job expansions being announced and companies who relocate here.

Atlanta is top 10 in terms of Net Employment outlook with Charlotte and Seattle, but let's continue to circlejerk Atlanta has no jobs.
There are other jobs in Houston besides oil. Such as a giant medical field and a fast growing technology field. Just throwing that out there. Oh and the energy sector isn't going anywhere either. Oil may be busting and could boom at any minute. But energy isn't going anywhere. Houston is the energy capital of the world, not the oil capital of the world.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:22 PM

12,356 posts, read 18,183,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post

Lawd! Poor lil tink tink.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:10 PM

678 posts, read 913,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There are other jobs in Houston besides oil. Such as a giant medical field and a fast growing technology field. Just throwing that out there. Oh and the energy sector isn't going anywhere either. Oil may be busting and could boom at any minute. But energy isn't going anywhere. Houston is the energy capital of the world, not the oil capital of the world.
Energy capital of the world? Based on what? Not saying it isn't but want see facts

Old 03-17-2015, 03:03 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,133,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post

As someone who lived in both Atlanta and Houston, Atlanta always struck me as head and shoulders above Houston when it comes to things like an energetic and fashionable black community. Simply put there seems to be more energy, upward mobility, higher status and awareness in Atlanta's black community than Houston's. Also there seems to be more to do for black's in Atlanta than Houston.
Of course there is more of that celebrity-driven, fashionista element in Atlanta, but in regards to the general population, blacks in Houston and Atlanta dress the same. There are no remarkable differences whatsoever.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:16 PM

28,187 posts, read 26,121,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
What makes Prince George's County so attractive. I lived there and as an african american I would never live there again. Still the black sheep county of the DC area. Crime problem, bad schools. Sprawly with hideous 1960s apartment complexes, strip malls with bad stores. The beltway seems to be the dividing line. The outer beltway communities are nicer but still lack good shopping amenities like Tyson's, Montgomery or Columbia. Still lacking in good restaurants compared to its neighboring counties. Besides it being a majority black county and cheaper housing I don't see any reason to live there. Decade after decade retailers like Nordstrom, Crate & Barrel, Nike, Barney's and many others continue to ignore PG. Is there a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's yet? Besides it being a black middle class majority county I say no thanks.
Well, a Black person doesn't have to live in Prince George's County if living in the Greater DC metro area. But if you strongly desire to live in a mostly Black area, then what are the better alternatives? There is certainly nothing on the West Coast that's comparable.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
That is why I stated that NYC is probably the best place. You have the economic indicators in Queens, where blacks out-earn whites. You have access to black cultural events and amenities, whether you are African American, Caribbean, Latino or African. The issue with NYC is that it has some of the worst racial profiling practices in the country (I went to school in NYC during my undergrad and had a few issues), so despite all the plusses there are major flaws.
I don't think NYC is the best place for Black families. Southeastern Queens, overall, is lower working-class. Not terrible, but I wouldn't want to raise kids there. NYC is, imo, better from a singles perspective, but that phase of life only lasts so long for most people.

Overall, I still have to go with DC. There are lots of nice, majority Black communities in Prince George's County and there are also decent concentrations of upper middle class Black families scattered throughout the rest of the metro. There isn't an NYC equivalent of that. There's more dispersion among the Black upper middle class.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:46 PM

56,287 posts, read 80,465,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't think NYC is the best place for Black families. Southeastern Queens, overall, is lower working-class. Not terrible, but I wouldn't want to raise kids there. NYC is, imo, better from a singles perspective, but that phase of life only lasts so long for most people.

Overall, I still have to go with DC. There are lots of nice, majority Black communities in Prince George's County and there are also decent concentrations of upper middle class Black families scattered throughout the rest of the metro. There isn't an NYC equivalent of that. There's more dispersion among the Black upper middle class.
It isn't that there aren't concentrations in the NYC area, but the concentrations are smaller and aren't continuous. Adjacent areas of Valley Stream and Elmont to SE Queens, Lakeview/northern Baldwin and western Freeport in Nassau County and perhaps Wheatley Heights/the Belmont Park area of West Babylon in Suffolk County are a few that come to mind.

As for the West Coast, the best example is the Baldwin Hills, Ladera Heights, View Park-Windsor Hills concentration in the Los Angeles area.

In the Dallas/Fort Worth area, there's a good chunk of the Best Southwest area that comes to mind.

In Chicagoland, southern Flossmoor/Olympia Fields and some surrounding communities comes to mind. There are probably other concentrations to some degree and if you know where and what to look for in terms of research, it can be easy for notice or find such areas.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-17-2015 at 04:40 PM..

Old 03-17-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It isn't that there concentrations in the NYC area, but the concentrations are smaller and aren't continuous.
Isn't that the same thing as being more dispersed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or