U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-18-2015, 08:09 AM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,794 posts, read 11,724,981 times
Reputation: 5394

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You are joking, right?
Nope. Study: 80,000 More Single Women Than Men in Atlanta | Black America Web

I remember when I read this story a few weeks ago, I turned to my wife and said "This is why I get looked at like a steak drenched in chocolate by women every time I go out. It's not me!"

Edit: Just saw that link answered the question. The number for DC is 65,000.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2015, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,787,463 times
Reputation: 11181
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Nope. Study: 80,000 More Single Women Than Men in Atlanta | Black America Web

I remember when I read this story a few weeks ago, I turned to my wife and said "This is why I get looked at like a steak drenched in chocolate by women every time I go out. It's not me!"
I was giving data for "educated" Black men vs Black women. And I gave that data because a common gripe among many Black women is "I have a degree, a car, a house, and a job. And you expect me to date the janitor?!?"

What the article you posted says and what you said are entirely different. You said "for every single man in the city, there are another 80,000 single women." That's not the same as saying that there are 80,000 more single women than men.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2015, 08:28 AM
 
146 posts, read 168,988 times
Reputation: 111
Look, I couldn't care less that a black guy is looking for cities in the US that are the best places for black people.

I'm just saying, replace the word "black" with "white" in the original post and all of the sudden the Politically Correct Police rush in to condemn such a "small-minded, vile, bigot" racist, and tell him that he should be ashamed of his ignorance, blah blah blah.

It's stupid.

If a black guy wants to be around more black people, fine.
If a white guy wants to be around more white people, also fine.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2015, 08:36 AM
 
Location: O4W
3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times
Reputation: 2045
@bajanyankee



Americans are 'more likely to have an STD than Europeans' | Daily Mail Online

I don't know if I would be rushing to date in DC with it being #1 in HIV, Ghorrhea and syphilis.

Plus DC has the lowest marriage rate in the country at 23% women and 28% men that are married. Atlanta is around 35%



The male female ratio in both cities are the same.

DC: 52.6% of the population are women
Atlanta: 50.2% of the population are women






According to the Brookings Institute, 24% of people who hold a collegedegree*in*Atlanta*is black. (276,000)

10% of people in NYC with college degrees are black. (451,000)

15% of people DC who hold college degrees are black.(250,000)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2015, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,787,463 times
Reputation: 11181
Was there really a need to bring in such ridiculous information (all with the intent to slander)? Yes, DC has the highest HIV rate among states. That's an important qualification. If the city of Atlanta or Brooklyn were compared to other states across a whole host of metrics, they would look equally bad.

And comparing city proper to city proper is not the way to compare the two places. If you live in DC and meet a woman who lives in Silver Spring, that's obviously not going to be a huge barrier to developing a relationship. Your dating pool is going to be larger than just the people living within the city limits.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2015, 08:41 AM
 
Location: O4W
3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times
Reputation: 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Nope. Study: 80,000 More Single Women Than Men in Atlanta | Black America Web

I remember when I read this story a few weeks ago, I turned to my wife and said "This is why I get looked at like a steak drenched in chocolate by women every time I go out. It's not me!"

Edit: Just saw that link answered the question. The number for DC is 65,000.
False info again


2013 US Census report


Atlanta

Male: 206k
Female: 209k


Before you say "what about the gay men and men in jail" well what about the crazy women, the strippers, the escorts, the women with too many kids, the crazy women, etc. They all cancel each other out so it's even.


I really wish people would stop telling the lie that it's so many more women than men in Atlanta. It's basically even. The reason there are more women at clubs is because women go in larger groups to clubs because of safety reasons generally speaking.



Plus that article is bs. Why are they single? Are they too controlling? Too many kids? Can they cook a meal? Is she single because she works at Waffle House but expects her man to play for the Hawks? Is she overweight? Does she have more than one baby daddy? Will she only date a dude that is 6'5, driving a Benz, with a PhD but also is a thug with good hair and no kids? That's why that article is bs is because they aren't giving the real reasons. I'm sure plenty of guys have hollered at them but they wweren't interested because he didn't have no swag, too short, he doesn't have a nice car, he has a blue collared job, he cant dress or some other dumb reason

Last edited by afdinatl; 03-18-2015 at 09:01 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2015, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,787,463 times
Reputation: 11181
The one advantage NYC has over DC and ATL (and really all other cities) when it comes to single/young urban professional life is that the Black professional class is more geographically concentrated in urban neighborhoods. Most singles moving to NYC are going to settle in Harlem or Brooklyn. Sure, there are plenty of people who don't, but those are sort of the "go to" areas in the city. In the DC area, there's a lot more dispersal, and all of the high density, transit and amenity rich areas of the city (U Street, Adams-Morgan, Dupont, etc.) are decidely non-Black.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2015, 08:50 AM
 
Location: O4W
3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times
Reputation: 2045
Atlanta Mayor:*Kasim Reed (to Jan. 2018)

2010 census population (rank):*420,003 (40)
*Male:*208,968 (49.8%)
Female:*211,035 (50.2%)

Last edited by afdinatl; 03-18-2015 at 08:59 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2015, 08:51 AM
 
Location: O4W
3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times
Reputation: 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The one advantage NYC has over DC and ATL (and really all other cities) when it comes to single/young urban professional life is that thegenerally sprakingofessional class is more geographically concentrated in urban neighborhoods. Most singles moving to NYC are going to settle in Harlem or Brooklyn. Sure, there are plenty of people who don't, but those are sort of the "go to" areas in the city. In the DC area, there's a lot more dispersal, and all of the high density, transit and amenity rich areas of the city (U Street, Adams-Morgan, Dupont, etc.) are decidely non-Black.
Too bad the COL is so expensive in NYC that when people meet other singles they have to bring them back to their apartment with 3 other roommate living with them....generally speaking.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2015, 09:15 AM
 
27,713 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Reputation: 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Guy View Post
Look, I couldn't care less that a black guy is looking for cities in the US that are the best places for black people.

I'm just saying, replace the word "black" with "white" in the original post and all of the sudden the Politically Correct Police rush in to condemn such a "small-minded, vile, bigot" racist, and tell him that he should be ashamed of his ignorance, blah blah blah.

It's stupid.

If a black guy wants to be around more black people, fine.
If a white guy wants to be around more white people, also fine.
Well a White person asking such is pretty much pointless.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top