Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 12:24 PM

31,860 posts, read 34,362,591 times

Advertisements

For the tracts around the West End/Atlanta University Center, I came up with a total of 1,853. This is really the only "urban" and walkable area of Atlanta I could think of that likely contains a strong concentration of Black professionals. There are areas like the Cascades but that's really mostly suburbia within the city limits.

I got tired of counting the tracts in Harlem. First, there are too many of them. Second, the total count exceeded 11,000 after counting about half of the tracts for West, South and Central Harlem. For the Buppie lifestyle, Harlem still reigns supreme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 12:37 PM

So in terms of an urban lifestyle--where many of your favorite bars and restaurants are a short walk away--are Harlem, Bed-Stuy and to a lesser extent the eastern half of core DC all that there is?

Harlem Tavern will likely be packed with Hampton fans this weekend seeing that the Pirates officially qualified for the tourney last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlhEwxd86xQ

Old 03-18-2015, 12:44 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,756,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So in terms of an urban lifestyle--where many of your favorite bars and restaurants are a short walk away--are Harlem, Bed-Stuy and to a lesser extent the eastern half of core DC all that there is?

Harlem Tavern will likely be packed with Hampton fans this weekend seeing that the Pirates officially qualified for the tourney last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlhEwxd86xQ
How many of those blacks will be going back to their apartment with multiple roommates?

Old 03-18-2015, 12:44 PM

6,212 posts, read 9,148,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
DC is not just strictly a GoGo and Lounge city. If you want your House/EDM music fix (which DC has a growing underground scene, especially with lifelong assistance of homegrown Thievery Corporation and the rising popularity of Moombahton and Moombahcore), Slam Poetry/Spoken Word fix, Hip Hop fix, Reggae/Reggaeton fix, Worldbeat fix, Jazz fix, Alternative fix, Afrobeat fix, Indie Rock fix, etc. from local, national, and international acts, one can surely find these in multiple music/performance venues that have been legendary for decades, upscale nightclubs, late-night restaurants, multiple bars, concerts at the Verizon Center, DAR Constitution Hall, Howard Theater, Lincoln Theater, etc., all throughout DC that cater to yuppies, buppies, hipsters, oldheads, students, blipsters, the embassy crowd, etc. The racial/ethnic demographic may be either mainly Black, White, Black/White, White/Asian, Hispanic, Black/Hispanic, or mixture of all four along with Mixed Race persons. Can enjoy the nightlife away from 2 to 3am, even 4am at some of those venues.

NFT - Not For Tourists - Washington DC / Nightlife

DC Nightlife and Nightclub Event Guide - DC Clubbing

For the House/EDM part, I also forgot to mention the highly vibrant Club Glow events when it occurs at various nightclubs venues from Thursday to Saturday nights. Even Armin van Buuren and Ferry Corsten had bi-monthly residences during Club Glow from 2002 to 2003.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:47 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,733,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
How many of those blacks will be going back to their apartment with multiple roommates?
Not the worst thing in the world. I'd rather share my living space with other people than live alone. All I need is my own room.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Not the worst thing in the world. I'd rather share my living space with other people than live alone. All I need is my own room.
What happens when a dude brings a chick home from the club with multiple roommates?

Old 03-18-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
It's funny you keep asking this when the average Black household size in Atlanta is larger than it is in Manhattan.

Total:
Manhattan - 2.13
Atlanta - 2.29

Owner Occupied:
Manhattan - 2.01
Atlanta - 2.33

Renter Occupied:
Manhattan - 2.15
Atlanta - 2.26

Yeah, the larger household size in Atlanta could be attributed to leafier, more suburban areas of the city, but that should at least shut you up about household sizes in Manhattan being ridiculously large. In renter occupied units, Black households in Manhattan are actually smaller than they are in Atlanta.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:05 PM

Manhattan also has a higher percentage of one person African American households. In 2010, 45.1% of Black households in Manhattan were single occupancy. In Atlanta, only 32.3% of Black households were single person occupancy. 4.8% of Black households are dual occupancy in Manhattan compared to 5.5% in Atlanta.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's funny you keep asking this when the average Black household size in Atlanta is larger than it is in Manhattan.

Total:
Manhattan - 2.13
Atlanta - 2.29

Owner Occupied:
Manhattan - 2.01
Atlanta - 2.33

Renter Occupied:
Manhattan - 2.15
Atlanta - 2.26

Yeah, the larger household size in Atlanta could be attributed to leafier, more suburban areas of the city, but that should at least shut you up about household sizes in Manhattan being ridiculously large. In renter occupied units, Black households in Manhattan are actually smaller than they are in Atlanta.
Cool

Old 03-18-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Cool
So are people in Atlanta going back to their apartments or auto-centric subdivisions with multiple roommates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City