Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 05:56 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Sneakers can't be worn in most clubs. You can get away with it if you pay +$50 but I was mainly asking why someone would wear that to an upscale club which is exactly what they were talking about in Houston. And who goes to Bar 7? Lol...

Ever heard of LOOK, Capital, Josephine's, Bliss, Opera etc...

Bajan, you've been gone from DC way too long.
Actually, he said it was a bar. And the bouncer let him in who was Asian but he wasn't suppose to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 06:48 PM

12,732 posts, read 21,626,470 times
I love how people think they know about Houston now. LOL.

Houston is stealing Atlanta's blacks. I see a lot of metro Atlanta tags here.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:52 PM

37,792 posts, read 41,472,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post

Where have you been? Texas's economy has been better than Georgia's since the recession hit; some people have also moved to Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, etc. from metro Atlanta. However, things are starting to get back to normal in Georgia so you won't see as much of that outflow.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Where have you been? Texas's economy has been better than Georgia's since the recession hit; some people have also moved to Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, etc. from metro Atlanta. However, things are starting to get back to normal in Georgia so you won't see as much of that outflow.
I didn't notice it until recently. I was shocked to see so many black Atlantans living here.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:37 PM

183 posts, read 247,506 times
Quote:
I didn't notice it until recently. I was shocked to see so many black Atlantans living here.
I wouldn't be surprised if a fair amount of the Georgians you are seeing were part of the influx of black Texans who moved to Georgia in the 90s to 2000s, just returning home.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if a fair amount of the Georgians you are seeing were part of the influx of black Texans who moved to Georgia in the 90s to 2000s, just returning home.
I bet it's the native Atlantans.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:43 AM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
Quote:
There is no way to determine that.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:46 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,756,976 times
Quote:

Just as many Houston natives are in Atlanta. People want to move to Atlanta. People have to move to Houston. Plus Atlanta offers them way more stuff to do. I never heard anyone here say "let's fly to Houston for the weekend?"

Just because people move there during our recession doesn't mean they like Houston. They just trying to survive.

Stop acting like people are moving there because it's Houston. No they are moving there because of jobs. If those same jobs where in a other city they would have moved to that city

Old 03-19-2015, 07:50 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,735,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There is no way to determine that.
They're both right. Judging from my own personal experience, most of the Atlantans going to Texas are native Georgians. Others are from elsewhere who came by way of Atlanta.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:58 AM

183 posts, read 247,506 times
Quote:
Maybe so. I'm not disagreeing that Houston is a decent destination for black professionals and blacks in general.

As a black professional, I view Houston (and certainly Dallas) as good cities to start a career, become a homeowner and still have expendable income. Same for Atlanta, but add the plethora of other amenities as mentioned in afdinatl's post 135. There are Atlanta's other intangables to the Texas cities; the more attractive topography, the arguably better climate, the burgeoning film & music industries. Not discounting Houston's music legacy (before someone goes off on that tangent, lol).

I don't like the term "Black Mecca". If that type of place exists, it would be Atlanta along with D.C. Houston will not dethrone either anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City