U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-19-2015, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Reputation: 8963

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I wouldn't doubt if they are transplants who just moved on to the next city.
I think it's more this as well but again, no way to determine it.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-19-2015, 09:35 AM
 
27,713 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Reputation: 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah. A lot of the people who leave Atlanta probably aren't natives. Fulton County has some of the highest population churn of any county in the U.S. The only county that's higher, I believe, is Arlington County, Virginia.
Yup...I'm one of the recent churn-outs.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2015, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Tampa - St. Louis
1,029 posts, read 1,532,433 times
Reputation: 1387
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Black or African American Over the Age of 25 with a Bachelor's degree or higher (by MSA).

New York - 490,575 (22.66%)
Washington - 298,879 (30.87%)
Atlanta - 293,711 (27.06%)
Chicago - 202,853 (20.06%)
Houston - 156,993 (24.23%)
Los Angeles - 143,702 (24.39%)
Dallas - 141,587 (23.13%)
Philadelphia - 139,870 (18.03%)
Miami - 128,699 (17.23%)
Detroit - 101,153 (16.76%)
Baltimore - 96,386 (19.94%)
Charlotte - 58,555 (21.71%)
San Francisco - 55,370 (23.08%)
Memphis - 48,250 (14.15%)
Boston - 46,034 (20.88%)
Richmond - 39,644 (17.37%)
Cleveland - 36,634 (14.11%)
Seattle - 25,002 (19.99%)
Denver - 23,595 (25.64%)
San Diego - 21,114 (21.13%)
San Jose - 11,216 (35.16%)
Portland - 8,491 (23.58%)
St. Louis and New Orleans noticeably absent. ???
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2015, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Berkeley, S.F. Bay Area
374 posts, read 349,552 times
Reputation: 289
San Francisco.

Nah, I'm just kidding.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2015, 10:38 AM
 
6,795 posts, read 6,588,241 times
Reputation: 5411
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Are there any neighborhoods in these other cities with: (a) a large Black professional concentration and (b) a walkscore above 75?
Does it matter? If blacks want to live in suburbs, they can.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2015, 10:40 AM
 
52,615 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Reputation: 11627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Does it matter? If blacks want to live in suburbs, they can.
You may also have high walkability in select suburbs.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2015, 10:42 AM
 
6,795 posts, read 6,588,241 times
Reputation: 5411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
And honestly, I have never met a soul that said they wanted to move to Atlanta.
My cousin in Los Angeles/Orange County said she wants to move to Atlanta. There are plenty of blacks in this country wishing they were in Atlanta. You should see some of the "Moving to Atlanta" posts on the Atlanta forums in the past. People with no jobs lined up trying to move to Atlanta.

There are plenty more blacks who desire to live in Atlanta than Houston, that's for sure. In fact, I think blacks see Atlanta up there with NYC and L.A. for glitz and glamour and it doesn't help that films and tv shows continue to do operations here along with the large amount of rap/hip hop artists starting careers here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2015, 10:44 AM
 
6,795 posts, read 6,588,241 times
Reputation: 5411
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah. A lot of the people who leave Atlanta probably aren't natives. Fulton County has some of the highest population churn of any county in the U.S. The only county that's higher, I believe, is Arlington County, Virginia.
Transplant cities are generally the most successful cities these days. Cities with a large legacy population are generally the ones in decline - St Louis, Detroit, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Oakland, etc.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2015, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Reputation: 8963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
My cousin in Los Angeles/Orange County said she wants to move to Atlanta. There are plenty of blacks in this country wishing they were in Atlanta. You should see some of the "Moving to Atlanta" posts on the Atlanta forums in the past. People with no jobs lined up trying to move to Atlanta.

There are plenty more blacks who desire to live in Atlanta than Houston, that's for sure. In fact, I think blacks see Atlanta up there with NYC and L.A. for glitz and glamour and it doesn't help that films and tv shows continue to do operations here along with the large amount of rap/hip hop artists starting careers here.
Uh the same type of threads are made in the Hoiston forum and yeah several of them were Blacks from different parts of the country. There are probably plenty more Blacks that would choose Atlanta over Houston. Never my argument. But his comment that people wish to move to Atlanta compared to people have to move to Houston is false.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2015, 10:59 AM
 
6,795 posts, read 6,588,241 times
Reputation: 5411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Uh the same type of threads are made in the Hoiston forum and yeah several of them were Blacks from different parts of the country. There are probably plenty more Blacks that would choose Atlanta over Houston. Never my argument. But his comment that people wish to move to Atlanta compared to people have to move to Houston is false.
Oh, I agree with that. He just says silly things. He's quite possibly the largest Atlanta booster on the forums so I tend to ignore a lot of things he says.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top