Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2015, 08:03 PM

92,011 posts, read 122,107,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I'm thinking the stereotypical, neurotic, Woody Allen tropes, not actual Judaism. That's why I tried the quotes I wasn't sure if I'd get the point across otherwise.
Still not seeing it.......I think the problem is that the North is being equated with NYC and even then, I don't see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 08:06 PM

6,514 posts, read 8,386,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Still not seeing it.......
Nevermind then. I think its off topic to the discussion anyway. The longer these discussions get the cloudier my talking points become. Plus I'm conflating myself and the Blacks I'm usually around, hipsters and other eccentrics, with everyone else and my world view which are my own issues that don't really have anything to do with being Black.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:11 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,887,588 times
Quote:
DC also has a history of Black migration into the city from the South going back to the city for clerical work and administrative jobs, even coming from Virgina. But now people are hating on DC as a Black Mecca, as though that history does not matter. DC still offers good job opportunities for those Blacks that can get the work, even before Atlanta and Houston, and Charlotte, were hot from the seventies onward, smh.
No one is hating clearly I'm not hating. I acknowledge both in my post but Atlanta and DC are top dawgs they both will give you the best black experience.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:15 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,887,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
But you know one thing I've noticed down here is that Houston has a large black gay population. I've noticed that the black gays enjoy and are mixed in with the straight crowd at clubs, bars, etc. I know Atlanta is the known black gay mecca, but Houston is no sloucher from what I've seen. I don't know if this has something to do with Houston having a lesbian mayor.
Sweetheart it doesn't even come close. When it comes to black gay experience it gets no better than Dc and Atlanta.

I know you want to push Houston which is a good option too, but it's no DC or Atlanta when it comes to the black experience

Old 03-21-2015, 08:46 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,129,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's a matter of degree. Almost everything that Atlanta, DC, and NYC (as well as the "secondary" cities, to a smaller extent) excel in when it comes to all things Black can be found in most sizable cities in the country, but there are just way more options across the board in those cities.
What about Chicago, Detroit, and Philadelphia? Those cities more and less can equal Atlanta, DC, NYC, and Houston.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:38 PM

12,732 posts, read 21,626,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Sweetheart it doesn't even come close. When it comes to black gay experience it gets no better than Dc and Atlanta.

I know you want to push Houston which is a good option too, but it's no DC or Atlanta when it comes to the black experience
Ain't nobody trynna push Houston. I'm just telling you all what I see.

Don't call me sweetheart.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:59 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,735,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Ain't nobody trynna push Houston. I'm just telling you all what I see.

Don't call me sweetheart.
Right! Go somewhere with that.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:31 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,860,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post

What can you do in Atlanta as a blk gay male that you can't do in Houston?

As for those who are bother by seeing sweetheart on a internet forum you need to get over yourselves and that tired homophobia act.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:29 PM

6,514 posts, read 8,386,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
What about Chicago, Detroit, and Philadelphia? Those cities more and less can equal Atlanta, DC, NYC, and Houston.
They can, but more Blacks are experiencing greater wealth in the areas we're mentioning, particularly transients (although clearly, some Blacks are experiencing even greater wealth in the cities you've mentioned). Also depends on your education, you can come up in Atlanta, DC, NYC and Houston without a lot of education, whereas in Chicago, Detroit, and Philadelphia you're better off if you're over-educated in those towns.

You also have to look at the migration patterns. There is a reverse migration from Northern Black meccas to these newer, younger, Southern Black meccas. I've done it, Akron/Cleveland is no Black mecca but I'm getting more mileage for my situation here than I was back in Ohio. Doesn't necessarily mean that I can't or should not improve my situation but it does speak volumes to the opportunities that are available in the South, or those that continue to remain in NYC (for those that are in a position to take advantage of them).

Old 03-22-2015, 12:54 PM

37,793 posts, read 41,479,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Houston isn't on the level of Atlanta, DC, and NYC and is a good example of a secondary city along with the other cities which I alluded to. Although Chicago still has a strong African American community in place, it's bleeding Blacks right now; Detroit and Philadelphia lack the strong professional Black network seen in Atlanta, DC, and NYC.

Quote:
Also depends on your education, you can come up in Atlanta, DC, NYC and Houston without a lot of education, whereas in Chicago, Detroit, and Philadelphia you're better off if you're over-educated in those towns.
You've got this reversed; Chicago, Detroit, and Philadelphia are more blue-collar whereas Atlanta and DC in particular are much more white-collar; you DEFINITELY have to have the degrees to move up in DC. It can probably go either way in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City