U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-14-2015, 05:58 AM
 
Location: Reseda (heart of the SFV)
273 posts, read 249,453 times
Reputation: 378

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
Are you associating black culture (african american / african /caraibean) with thug drug or violence, urban decay and poverty?
Preposterous, I said no such thing my friend. The OP said he was looking for everything black from culture to black barbershops to cuisine so I suggested cities that are majority black; this is simply commonsense. Miami has a vibrant and celebrated Latino culture because, guess what, it's over 70% Latino. Minnesota and Wisconsin have an impressive German culture because a relatively high percentage of their population is of German dissent, this is simple math and commonsense.

A few other cities that I would suggest to the OP are St. Louis(proper), East St. Louis, Birmingham Alabama and Atlanta, Georgia. A few of my African-American friends have told me over the years that Atlanta has a vibrant economy and a plethora of college educated and entrepreneurial minded African-Americans so the ATL would definitely be high up on the list.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2015, 06:43 AM
 
1,132 posts, read 1,770,724 times
Reputation: 553
As for the African culture I would rank DC over NYC as the percentage of the population is probably the highest in the nation.

As for the smaller black cities, I have heard no one (and I have met folks from each of these cities) say that Camden, East St. Louis, or Ferguson were good communities for any people. As for high population mid sized cities I would throw in the mid sized cities of Hampton Roads, Richmond, and Charlotte.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2015, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Prince George's County, Maryland
6,212 posts, read 7,031,756 times
Reputation: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Depends on what you're looking for. For African-American culture, it's probably Atlanta, DC, and Houston - in that order. For Continental African culture, I'd probably go with Houston, (Nigerian) NYC (pretty much every major African nation is represented) and (surprise) Minneapolis (yes, there's a very sizable Somali presence). For Afro Caribbean culture, it's probably NYC (Jamaican, black Puerto Rican, and pretty much every Caribbean island has some representation) and Miami (Haitian, Afro-Cuban). Pretty big dropoff after those two for Afro Caribbean culture IMHO.
DC also has a sizeable Ethiopian and Eritrean presence as well. There's also Continental Africans from all over living in the suburbs too, especially Nigerians (there's a lot of Yorubas here, particularly here in PG County), Cameroonians, Sierra Leoneans, Kenyans, Senegalese, Sudanese, Somalis, Angolans, South Africans, Tanzanians, etc. As well as more Ethiopians and Eritreans too.

Plus, there's quite a number of Jamaicans, Haitians, and some Trinidadians around here. They're other Afro-Caribbean Islanders here in the DMV but their numbers aren't significantly huge but they're definitely here, especially in the Georgia Ave neighborhoods in DC, the Silver Spring area in lower MoCo, and parts of PG.

Last edited by tcave360; 03-14-2015 at 01:51 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2015, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Prince George's County, Maryland
6,212 posts, read 7,031,756 times
Reputation: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Atlanta and DC would be tied for #1
2. NYC
3. Philadelphia
4. Chicago

I've done motivational speeches in the Black community all over the country and these cities are tops, based on my experiences.
This.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2015, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,479 posts, read 7,708,485 times
Reputation: 7295
So surprised to see so few (if any) suggestions for the San Francisco Bay Area. I thought most on this forum view it as the cultural capital for every background of people that there is?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2015, 05:10 PM
 
Location: The Dirty South.
1,567 posts, read 1,306,664 times
Reputation: 1087
Houston , Dallas, Charlotte , and Atlanta just to name a few.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2015, 07:54 PM
 
52,614 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Reputation: 11627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
So surprised to see so few (if any) suggestions for the San Francisco Bay Area. I thought most on this forum view it as the cultural capital for every background of people that there is?
Not necessarily. Why would you think that would be the case?

Columbus and Nashville may be sleepers due to the educational institutions in both areas.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2015, 09:02 PM
 
11 posts, read 10,989 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
Preposterous, I said no such thing my friend. The OP said he was looking for everything black from culture to black barbershops to cuisine so I suggested cities that are majority black; this is simply commonsense. Miami has a vibrant and celebrated Latino culture because, guess what, it's over 70% Latino. Minnesota and Wisconsin have an impressive German culture because a relatively high percentage of their population is of German dissent, this is simple math and commonsense.

A few other cities that I would suggest to the OP are St. Louis(proper), East St. Louis, Birmingham Alabama and Atlanta, Georgia. A few of my African-American friends have told me over the years that Atlanta has a vibrant economy and a plethora of college educated and entrepreneurial minded African-Americans so the ATL would definitely be high up on the list.
You named Camden which is actually majority hispanic and full of decay, then named places like East Saint Louis which isn't vibrant at all. You hadn't heard of Ferguson until the Mike Brown case, why would you name it? There are plenty other majority black places you could have named. I see through what you're trying to do here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2015, 09:05 PM
 
11 posts, read 10,989 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
Preposterous, I said no such thing my friend. The OP said he was looking for everything black from culture to black barbershops to cuisine so I suggested cities that are majority black; this is simply commonsense. Miami has a vibrant and celebrated Latino culture because, guess what, it's over 70% Latino. Minnesota and Wisconsin have an impressive German culture because a relatively high percentage of their population is of German dissent, this is simple math and commonsense.

A few other cities that I would suggest to the OP are St. Louis(proper), East St. Louis, Birmingham Alabama and Atlanta, Georgia. A few of my African-American friends have told me over the years that Atlanta has a vibrant economy and a plethora of college educated and entrepreneurial minded African-Americans so the ATL would definitely be high up on the list.
You named Camden which is full of decay and actually majority hispanic, a town you hadn't heard of until the Mike Brown case, and East Saint Louis, a depressed area. You could've named plenty other places with vibrant middle class black communities. Anybody can see through what you're trying to do here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2015, 11:23 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Reputation: 8963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondering Ponderer View Post
You named Camden which is actually majority hispanic and full of decay, then named places like East Saint Louis which isn't vibrant at all. You hadn't heard of Ferguson until the Mike Brown case, why would you name it? There are plenty other majority black places you could have named. I see through what you're trying to do here.
Yep. That's why I deleted my comment because it was obvious what he was doing.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top