U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2015, 05:19 PM

29,949 posts, read 27,450,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What does this have to do with your "Come Again???" response, which was in reaction to my statement that Black professionals can be hard to find in the District?
After clarifying, you said were talking about Black professionals living in the District proper, which is quite different from saying that Black professionals can be hard to find in the District since many of them work there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 05:36 PM

28,272 posts, read 26,286,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
After clarifying, you said were talking about Black professionals living in the District proper, which is quite different from saying that Black professionals can be hard to find in the District since many of them work there.
My statement holds whether you're talking about Blacks who live there or work there. This is particularly true if you're talking about younger Black professionals in the city, not just any Black person with a paper pushing job in DC Government. The Black professional population is rather dispersed so the experience described by the young woman in Dallas is not too different from what you see in DC.

Your best bet for seeing lots of Black professionals is in PG County, not DC. That whole scene that used to exist in DC has largely been bullied out of the city by a heavy influx of non-Black professionals. The problem is that the suburbs are lacking in social options compared to the city,

Old 03-22-2015, 09:25 PM

183 posts, read 185,427 times
Quote:
The Black professional population is rather dispersed so the experience described by the young woman in Dallas is not too different from what you see in DC.
That's not a completely accurate analogy as related to what was stated in the article.

It wasn't solely about black professionals to the woman. She noted the scarcity of any blacks in various parts of Dallas. I've lived there. What she's described is a world away from what you experience in D.C. or Atlanta.

Quote:
Pinnock says she felt more isolated living in Dallas than she did while living in Atlanta. “It’s not that I felt in any way uncomfortable, but I would go into Highland Park or Uptown for lunch, and I would be the only black person there,” she says. “No one is giving you the cold shoulder or anything like that, but you know they’re looking at you. I didn’t feel that way in Atlanta.”

Last edited by Poncey; 03-22-2015 at 09:51 PM..

Old 03-22-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
Every single forum I go, I always see threads similar as this one. Meh. I don't get the obsession of black Americans with making these sorts of threads in every single general forum.
Psst.. I don't think the OP of the thread is black.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:44 PM

28,272 posts, read 26,286,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
That's not a completely accurate analogy as related to what was stated in the article.

It wasn't solely about black professionals to the woman. She noted the scarcity of any blacks in various parts of Dallas. I've lived there. What she's described is a world away from what you experience in D.C. or Atlanta.
I wouldn't put Atlanta and DC in the same category...not when it comes to the core city anyway. If you go to Atlantic Station or Lenox Square, there are tons of Black people. The same is true for many of the restaurants in Midtown, Buckhead, etc. DC isn't really like that. Its core is becoming more Boston-like by the day and the people who can afford to enjoy its urbanism are almost exclusively White or Asian. It might not be as bad as Dallas (never lived there) but it's noticeably different from Atlanta.

Where DC is most similar to Atlanta is in its suburbs. If you want to live in a middle class subdivision that's 95%+ Black, then there are plenty of options for you.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:33 AM

12,356 posts, read 18,249,424 times
Quote:
I wouldn't put Atlanta and DC in the same category...not when it comes to the core city anyway. If you go to Atlantic Station or Lenox Square, there are tons of Black people. The same is true for many of the restaurants in Midtown, Buckhead, etc. DC isn't really like that. Its core is becoming more Boston-like by the day and the people who can afford to enjoy its urbanism are almost exclusively White or Asian. It might not be as bad as Dallas (never lived there) but it's noticeably different from Atlanta.

Where DC is most similar to Atlanta is in its suburbs. If you want to live in a middle class subdivision that's 95%+ Black, then there are plenty of options for you.
Which is exactly how Houston is! You see tons of blacks at the Galleria and in the venues/restaurants in Uptown and various of places ITL.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:

I'm familiar with the ongoing changes within DC's core. My family is native to the city and I still have relatives in the NoVA & PGC areas.

There's no real comparisons to made with Dallas. DC still has thousands more black professional & non-professional workers in its core. The chances you will see another black person patronizing an upscale shop/restaurant/bar/nightclub or even living in the core city are substantially greater in DC. Which is more like what you see in Atlanta.

FWIW, I'm not knocking Dallas. I would suggest for any young black professional to seriously consider a job offer in the DFW Metroplex. There are immense career growth opportunities plus it's a young, energetic, diverse area. Not many other professionals I met who lived there were disgruntled.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:33 PM

6,634 posts, read 8,342,389 times
Map: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-o10jh7bbZn...a4CAAAvzzv.jpg

Legend: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GTBQQJ_gQp...lack%2BPop.jpg

Descriptions: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XrDn_BM7kE...2BTypology.jpg

Share your thoughts.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:16 PM

29,949 posts, read 27,450,839 times
This is woefully outdated; DC and Atlanta no longer fit in the "concentrated gentrification" category and haven't for about a decade.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:11 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,871,906 times
Quote:

I don't know about this. I see plenty of black people on U Street and in Chinatown and Downtown. It's not exclusively black but neither are midtown etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or