U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 01:38 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,854,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
It's because sadly enough in most American cities most black people are still concentrated at lower income and lower educational attainment status.

As you strive to succeed and rise up in the job market or academia you start to see ridiculously few Black faces. You start to realize that there aren't very many Blacks out there that share your experiences to interact with but if you go to the "hood" there we are. And many of the Blacks there don't have much in common with you or identify with you (especially if you are young Black and upwardly mobile) It's depressing.

This is not the case in cities like Atlanta and D.C., NYC. I haven't been there yet but I understand a lot of things are happening in Houston as well.
In your experience (or any one else reading this), is it really only a handful of large metros like DC and ATL where we AA's won't have this problem? I've noticed it's a HUGE problem in the small metro cities here in the south, but I was hoping most large cities with a substantial black population wouldn't be the same. Just take here in Georgia for an example. In a city like Macon, Columbus, Savannah, Augusta, or Albany, you'll be hard pressed to find many majority AA events, clubs, or bars where 90% of the crowd isn't females that act like Halle Berry and her friend in the movie BAPS, or guys that imitate and worship rappers like Gucci Mane.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 08:04 AM

52,615 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
In your experience (or any one else reading this), is it really only a handful of large metros like DC and ATL where we AA's won't have this problem? I've noticed it's a HUGE problem in the small metro cities here in the south, but I was hoping most large cities with a substantial black population wouldn't be the same. Just take here in Georgia for an example. In a city like Macon, Columbus, Savannah, Augusta, or Albany, you'll be hard pressed to find many majority AA events, clubs, or bars where 90% of the crowd isn't females that act like Halle Berry and her friend in the movie BAPS, or guys that imitate and worship rappers like Gucci Mane.
Wow! I thought that you could find a mix even in those cities/areas.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:38 AM

5,560 posts, read 5,360,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
Statistics are the reasons for this.

Some prefer cities with a large Black percentage, though technically, none of the cities with a large Black percentage are over a million in the core. But you'll find that the opportunities for Blacks in cities where Blacks are the majority often lead to a greater quality of life, for those Blacks that can make it (though many do not, actually most do not in those towns). So you'll always have Atlanta, DC, Baltimore, Detroit, New Orleans boosters among the Black population.

The irony of this is that a lot of Blacks would be better served in affluent areas where they are the minority. Those Blacks that thrive in LA, NY, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, etc might actually do better than the aforementioned when they do succeed.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:47 AM

27,715 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Wow! I thought that you could find a mix even in those cities/areas.
In most metros with less than a million people and significantly-sized Black populations, your best bet when it comes to this is going to be professional events sponsored by civic organizations like the Urban League, fraternities/sororities, and alumni associations.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:52 AM

27,715 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Some prefer cities with a large Black percentage, though technically, none of the cities with a large Black percentage are over a million in the core. But you'll find that the opportunities for Blacks in cities where Blacks are the majority often lead to a greater quality of life, for those Blacks that can make it (though many do not, actually most do not in those towns). So you'll always have Atlanta, DC, Baltimore, Detroit, New Orleans boosters among the Black population.
Atlanta and DC for sure. The others? Not so much; Detroit is somewhat of an exception here, particularly in some of its suburbs.

Quote:
The irony of this is that a lot of Blacks would be better served in affluent areas where they are the minority. Those Blacks that thrive in LA, NY, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, etc might actually do better than the aforementioned when they do succeed.
Those cities still have among the largest Black populations in the country, and the city of Philadelphia has a Black plurality so I'm not sure if the "minority" argument holds much weight in those cases. Now if you're talking about cities like Salt Lake City and Portland, ME, you may actually have a point going by certain indicators.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:57 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,306,664 times
Atlanta and Houston.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:22 AM

5,560 posts, read 5,360,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Atlanta and DC for sure. The others? Not so much; Detroit is somewhat of an exception here, particularly in some of its suburbs.

Those cities still have among the largest Black populations in the country, and the city of Philadelphia has a Black plurality so I'm not sure if the "minority" argument holds much weight in those cases. Now if you're talking about cities like Salt Lake City and Portland, ME, you may actually have a point going by certain indicators.
Those Detroit boosters should not be underestimated, especially offline. That's all I'm saying, even though I agree with you for the most part.

I wouldn't mind a majority Black population if it could exist without the dysfunction and the socioeconomic problems that often go with it. In my experience, you end up with a lot of Blacks that do well in those areas, and then a far greater magnitude, anywhere from five times the magnitude or more, that are even poorer in those cities than they would have been in NY or LA, or some Canadian city like Vancouver. Of course self segregation, redlining, and other forces are a factor, but for the most part its not that bad.

I used to hate my hometown of Akron until I realized that poverty in Cleveland among Blacks was far more severe, and crime was a lot worse up there. Of course Cleveland had more Blacks and looked nice from where I was standing, and the opportunity was greater, but the Blacks that weren't making it had a really hard way to go, and Akron was better at camouflaging those issues. Another example might be Madison vs. Milwaukee. I know the real issues are far more complex, but on the surface this is what I see.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:05 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Depends on what you're looking for. For African-American culture, it's probably Atlanta, DC, and Houston - in that order. For Continental African culture, I'd probably go with Houston, (Nigerian) NYC (pretty much every major African nation is represented) and (surprise) Minneapolis (yes, there's a very sizable Somali presence). For Afro Caribbean culture, it's probably NYC (Jamaican, black Puerto Rican, and pretty much every Caribbean island has some representation) and Miami (Haitian, Afro-Cuban). Pretty big dropoff after those two for Afro Caribbean culture IMHO.

Factually Atlanta is ranked fourth in numerical number of foreign born Africans and by percentage of population.Just after NYC,DC,and LA.Well ahead of Chicago and Houston.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:12 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
So surprised to see so few (if any) suggestions for the San Francisco Bay Area. I thought most on this forum view it as the cultural capital for every background of people that there is?
LOL.San Francisco?Black people?haha.That would be Oakland if anything.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:15 PM

779 posts, read 649,297 times
Best cities for an African American are going to be outside of America...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or