U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 06:28 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,285,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
What makes Prince George's County so attractive. I lived there and as an african american I would never live there again. Still the black sheep county of the DC area. Crime problem, bad schools. Sprawly with hideous 1960s apartment complexes, strip malls with bad stores. The beltway seems to be the dividing line. The outer beltway communities are nicer but still lack good shopping amenities like Tyson's, Montgomery or Columbia. Still lacking in good restaurants compared to its neighboring counties. Besides it being a majority black county and cheaper housing I don't see any reason to live there. Decade after decade retailers like Nordstrom, Crate & Barrel, Nike, Barney's and many others continue to ignore PG. Is there a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's yet? Besides it being a black middle class majority county I say no thanks.
The subject is about best black cities.Where are ther black communities anywjere with such ammenities?Are did you just want people to know you would never live in a place that did not have those ammenities which has nothing to do with the topic?

Culturally speaking every ethic grup has cities and neighborhoods with those cities where they thrive. Unfortunately it is fear of black people of any class that scare retailers as you mentioned.Not to mention we are a minority so numbers to support these stores are not always feasible.
Not until someone withinthe community feels a void ignored by national retailers do they come and force those local business owners out.

Black neighborhoods exist because of history and usually forced segregation which later translate in recent times that some blacks just don't want tgo deal with the prejudice and ambivalent attitude towards our own traditional lifestyle so they choose to live in mostly black neighborhood.

Just because you or I choose not to live in majority black areas does not mean they have no place in society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
WF is on the way: RIVERDALE PARK STATION

But generally speaking, middle-class Black communities are underserved when it comes to retail across the board.
LOL.I thought you meant Riverdale Georgia!I was like WHAT???!!

Old 04-21-2015, 08:38 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,164,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
Best cities for an African American are going to be outside of America...
I know you have a point in there somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

Though I will admit I lived in Asia for several years, and my brother in Europe. Life is pretty sweet for African-American expats since everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) loves African-American culture overseas it seems. Then again, it's pretty sweet to be an American expat just about every where no matter what kind of American you are.

Last edited by waronxmas; 04-21-2015 at 09:43 PM..

Old 04-21-2015, 09:58 PM

2,070 posts, read 1,590,860 times
They love mainstream hip hop culture...big difference

Old 04-21-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Because Houston isn't as segregated as those areas. Southwest Houston/Fort Bend is the primary area for well to do Blacks, and it's still too incredibly diverse.
First of all Houston does not have anywhere close to the amounts of blacks Atlanta does.However Houston was ranked as being more Segregated than Atlanta.

It maybe diverse but its still more segregated.
The 22 Most Segregated Cities In America - Business Insider

Old 04-21-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And that's good for you. Now you can stop letting us know how your mindset is several generations ahead of that of the typical Black person on the East Coast.
Too funny but I was thinking the same thing.I just rolled my eyes like here we go again!

Old 04-21-2015, 11:06 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,052,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
First of all Houston does not have anywhere close to the amounts of blacks Atlanta does.However Houston was ranked as being more Segregated than Atlanta.

Eh. Closer look at that will show that Houston's population is more integrated than Aflanta though when you look at the entire metro as a whole. I mean nobody in their right blind would believe Dallas is more integrated than Houston yet it doesn't show up here in this study.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Guy View Post
Look, I couldn't care less that a black guy is looking for cities in the US that are the best places for black people.

I'm just saying, replace the word "black" with "white" in the original post and all of the sudden the Politically Correct Police rush in to condemn such a "small-minded, vile, bigot" racist, and tell him that he should be ashamed of his ignorance, blah blah blah.

It's stupid.

If a black guy wants to be around more black people, fine.
If a white guy wants to be around more white people, also fine.
Yes because white people have the same history as blacks so of course it makes sense to which those words around!
Really?
It's stupid to you because you have never been a minority.You honestly cant see the difference when black people make up ;ess than 13% in the U.S.?When police profiling against black men is high in many cities?
you cannot understand why I as black man feel more comfortable in a city like Atlanta where the mayor and many of the police officers are black patroling neighborhoods they are familiar with versus white police officers where every black man "fits a profile"?

How many incidents of racial profiling incidents against whites in Atlanta?Yet in every city in America its common not rare.YOU dont fear for your life ever just living day to day like African American males do.You mama aint worried about you getting shot by poor black neighborhood thugs or the police who think you are a thug because of your color.

Places like Atlanta,Houston,Dallas,D.C. and a few cities but that's it

You know im watching this interview as we speak of the Avenger actors and the main thing that comes to mind is "where are the black hero's?"Can we just have one?Its no big deal to you but iit says a lot to a black boy with few role models that look like him.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
LOL, yeah Atlanta is more of a business city or a city that people club and party in while they are in town for something else. It's definitely not one of those cities where people from around the country say, "Hey, let's fly to Atlanta for the weekend!" At most, since it's a popular city for blacks, it gets a lot of black visitors from smaller towns and rural areas who like to go there because it's the closet place that really has many entertainment options for them or geared towards them. But Houston functions the same way in its respective region, so no need to act like Atlanta is NYC or LA compared to Houston.
Atlanta is a cultural attraction for many blacks and even Africans.The Hip Hop scene and MLK JR are main reason as well as the many events geared to blacks.So I believe you are mistaken because Houston is not a city blacks want to visit

Old 04-22-2015, 12:16 AM

12,356 posts, read 18,225,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post

Exaggeration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or