Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 12:18 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Atlanta is a cultural attraction for many blacks and even Africans.The Hip Hop scene and MLK JR are main reason as well as the many events geared to blacks.So I believe you are mistaken because Houston is not a city blacks want to visit
Have you ever been to Houston?

We're getting a lot of your blacks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 01:44 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Afdinatl's posts don't shed much light on this issue, as far as I'm concerned. Speaking as someone who is from Southeast Texas and has lived in Atlanta, Blacks in both cities are leading the exact same lives relative to their class and income, for the most part. Anyone telling you otherwise simly isn't familiar with one or both cities.

I suppose Atlanta has a serious advantage if your entire existence revolves around your Blackness. Most Houstonians are far too used to diversity to entertain such ideals.
The difference is that those who want the choice have it.Myself live for the diversity in Atlanta on most occasions but there are times I will show my ethically diverse friends "the black side" of Atlanta too.
Such as a black college football game.or Battle of the Bands.the yearly Morehouse College Glee Club Christmas tradition at the Ray Charles Center ,a tour of the civil rights museums,show them who wnd where Booker .Washington gave his famous speach.etc.

Its not about just living your "entire existence revolving around your blackness".What an ignorant and insulting statement to those who hold their culture dear.
Its about OWNING your own blackness.very much how whites do or any other ethnic group.People act like Asians or Hispanics who live in their communities in cities like Houston which is actually one of the most segregated cities in America and think its quaint but black peolpe do it its existing to be black!What a crock!
White people do it too.Cities like Seattle and Austin.Nothing wrong with but just because every ethnic groups ideal of a good life is living where white people live and would never live in another majority minority area heavily populated by another minority is not the blame of the minority group that is proud to be where they are.
As nice as some of these neighborhoods are that are predominately black,why will not whites move there or Asians?Whites will move to a hood or low income areas and change every aspect of that neighborhood where no blacks will be able to afford it again. Thereby pushing them out that actually kept the neighborhood from falling completely apart because they had pride and knew what those neighborhoods were and can be again.
Beautiful neighborhoods with well off black professionals and some white people and even blacks will tear it down because it does not have freak-in Trader Joe's or Whole Foods"

Yet is not a problem when blacks don't blink and eye who want to move in white neighborhoods nor do other blacks give those blacks who do also a hard time.Oh but those blacks who want to live n "diverse" areas just are too quick to call those blacks wanting to "exist in their blackness"WOW!!

Whats worse is its black people who claim to be more enlightened to think more diverse are the main ones that wil enjoy a predominately whites city like Seattle,Portland or Austin while saying such things about cities like Atlanta,Detroit,D.C., Philly or cities with predominantly black populations.

So yeah you Houston's maybe far to used to diversity but you seems to want everybody to stay on there side.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Have you ever been to Houston?

We're getting a lot of your blacks!
Yes.So blacks only live in Atlanta?Prove it please.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Excuse me? People move to cities because of jobs.

That's why you have so many fake-it-til-you-make-it people in Atlanta because it's Atlanta.
Black Owned Business in Houston is 15.1%
Black Owned Business in Atlanta is 30.9%

Now honestly speaking based on these Census facts which city is your statement more likely to be true?
I can post more stats if you like.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:10 AM

5 posts, read 4,374 times
People,do you like Russia?

Old 04-22-2015, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Really?

Latinos don't have nearly the same affect or impact that blacks do on Houston; the Latin population is just big and add to the diversity. The Latinos in Houston, also, don't hold the same value or history that Asians have in the Bay Area as well.

I think you downplay Houston's diversity to make Atlanta seem more diverse than what it really is.
NO he did not!!You dont comprehend well do you?He said Atlanta is less diverse but is not a large difference.
Houston is very diverse, and it's especially diverse for a southern city, which is a city to be known just for being a black and white city. Houston has a lot of Buford Highways dispersed throughout the city like Bellaire, Westheimer, Beechnut, Bissonnet, Hilcroft, Gessner, Richmond, Harwin, etc. Something that Houston does that Atlanta doesn't do is that Houston has a strong black culture and history and a huge black population while still being a diverse mecca including large refugee and immigrant populations from all across the world. I would definitely refer to Houston as the "New York of the South" due to its diversity.

but you still have areas of Houston that are 50% - 90% black with some of those areas having a lot of middle class blacks. Houston, also, has diverse areas that are slightly majority black (30%-25%-25%-20%) that include middle class blacks. You have these two kinds of areas greatly throughout the majority metro save Montgomery County (Houston's version of Forsyth and Cherokee Counties in Atlanta as far as demographics), which makes it seem that blacks are everywhere in the metro and which makes Houston's black population seem larger than what it really is adhering more to the reason why Houston feels like Atlanta regarding the black population and culture.
WRONG!As I posted earlier this is NOT factually true!
Quote:
Forsyth, with a population of 175,511, saw the fastest growth of blacks in the state with a nine-fold increase to 4,287 in 2010, compared with 426 a decade earlier, 2010 Census figures released yesterday show.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:03 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,034,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Atlanta is a cultural attraction for many blacks and even Africans.The Hip Hop scene and MLK JR are main reason as well as the many events geared to blacks.So I believe you are mistaken because Houston is not a city blacks want to visit
Houston is not a city blacks want to visit? Lol. You do realise the junteenth celebration for blacks originated in Houston right. Houston hip hop culture is more original and laid back than Atlanta's according to t.i when he did a interview after pimp c passed.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:08 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,034,839 times
Afonega1 look up the video future made with trae called long live the pimp on YouTube. Even Atlanta rappers are obsessed with Houston rap culture. Future ft trae long live the pimp.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:18 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,268 times
Someone said a few pages back that Atlanta had a larger number of blacks than Houston...this is untrue according to wiki...Atlanta has a higher percentage of blacks, yes...but Houston has the largest number of blacks of any city in the south. I had read this a few years ago as well, which is what prompted me to fact check the statement.

List of U.S. cities with large African-American populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by soletaire; 04-22-2015 at 06:06 AM..

Old 04-22-2015, 05:43 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Last two pages are embarrassing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City