U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 08:12 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Afonega1 and a few other Atl homers are really trying they hardest to downplay Houston hip hop, club scene , nightlife for blacks etc. I'm really starting to get the sense they never been to H town. To many assumptions being thrown around.

Breakdown the club and nightlife scene for me.....What's poppin everyday club wise. What big events hip hop wise does Houston have? Etc.

Thing is, outside of Texas and maybe Louisiana most people aren't really looking at the Houston scene generally speaking. Most people outside of that area still bumped the Geto Boys/Scarface and maybe Lil Flip but people outside of Texas haven't really been checking for the people that put Houston on the map rap wise. People were checking for Houston music during that period in the 2000s when Mike Jones, Slim Thug, Paul Wall and Chamillionaire had albums coming out but after that the scene just vanished....vanished as in nationwide fame.

I lived in Tx in 99 for a year due to the military. This is when I was first heard screw music. I would put screw music in the same category as DC Go Go music and Bmore House/club music, etc meaning it's known but not nationally accepted accept for a few songs.

Hell I be thinking all the local Atlanta music is just local until I visit other cities nationwide and turn on the radio stations and go to the clubs out of town and hear mostly Atlanta music. I think Atlanta has the best package but several things are needed to be successful in hip hop, city wise. One thing Atlanta has going is we have a lot of events and visitors that come to the city. Once they come here and listen to the radio and go to the clubs they hear music that is new to them and they go back home and tell their friends about it. "Yo, I heard that new ___ in Atlanta. It's fire." Then it blows up in their town 3-4months later. Second, like I said people will always love to party and most Atlanta artist just make songs for the club. DJ's everywhere are going to want to play that hot crunk new song out of Atlanta because the DJ has a job to do. Third is we have a lot of radio stations. 8 hip hop stations to be exact. 3 of them play new hip hop. The system is that 94.5 will play just about every local artist all day. A few of the songs will catch on and blow up. Then the other 2 stations are forced to play it and then it blows up. If they are lucky a local big hip hop star will jump on the track for a remix to really blow it up. Then the rest of Georgia will play it then it will blow up. I think Houston artist generally will make it to this step and that's where it ends. They are missing some element to take it to the next level nationally again. You said the average Atlanta natives don't know much about Houston scene. Well it's not our job to find out about it. It is Houston job to force feed it to everyone to make them want to learn about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 08:15 AM

5,560 posts, read 5,360,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
The difference is that those who want the choice have it.Myself live for the diversity in Atlanta on most occasions but there are times I will show my ethically diverse friends "the black side" of Atlanta too.
Such as a black college football game.or Battle of the Bands.the yearly Morehouse College Glee Club Christmas tradition at the Ray Charles Center ,a tour of the civil rights museums,show them who wnd where Booker .Washington gave his famous speach.etc.

Its not about just living your "entire existence revolving around your blackness".What an ignorant and insulting statement to those who hold their culture dear.
Its about OWNING your own blackness.very much how whites do or any other ethnic group.People act like Asians or Hispanics who live in their communities in cities like Houston which is actually one of the most segregated cities in America and think its quaint but black peolpe do it its existing to be black!What a crock!
White people do it too.Cities like Seattle and Austin.Nothing wrong with but just because every ethnic groups ideal of a good life is living where white people live and would never live in another majority minority area heavily populated by another minority is not the blame of the minority group that is proud to be where they are.
As nice as some of these neighborhoods are that are predominately black,why will not whites move there or Asians?Whites will move to a hood or low income areas and change every aspect of that neighborhood where no blacks will be able to afford it again. Thereby pushing them out that actually kept the neighborhood from falling completely apart because they had pride and knew what those neighborhoods were and can be again.
Beautiful neighborhoods with well off black professionals and some white people and even blacks will tear it down because it does not have freak-in Trader Joe's or Whole Foods"

Yet is not a problem when blacks don't blink and eye who want to move in white neighborhoods nor do other blacks give those blacks who do also a hard time.Oh but those blacks who want to live n "diverse" areas just are too quick to call those blacks wanting to "exist in their blackness"WOW!!

Whats worse is its black people who claim to be more enlightened to think more diverse are the main ones that wil enjoy a predominately whites city like Seattle,Portland or Austin while saying such things about cities like Atlanta,Detroit,D.C., Philly or cities with predominantly black populations.

So yeah you Houston's maybe far to used to diversity but you seems to want everybody to stay on there side.
I can own my Blackness anywhere. It may be easier to do in a city like Atlanta or DC but to be completely honest if you're proud to be the Black person that you are you will find yourself owning your Blackness in Fairbanks Alaska or Albuquerque New Mexico. Not to take anything away from Atlanta, but I can't wrap my mind around the fact that Blacks from cities like Philadelphia and Cleveland, places that have significant Black populations, and proud, unapologetic Black people feel that can be "more Black" in Atlanta or own their Blackness there as though they weren't wherever they're from.

There will always be Blacks that feel the need to assimilate to get along, and like to tuck their Blackness into their shirt or in their pocket and pull it out, just in case they need it, but when you live your life in that way you forget how to be Black and digress into some caricature of Blackness. You're either Black or you're not. A lot of Black people don't really know what they are because they're too busy trying to be something that they're not. A lot of Black people are like that naturally, and they aren't assimilating they're just being themselves.

I don't understand people's insecurities. The fact that there are still cities in America with predominately Black populations is reassuring. Enjoy it while you can because Whites are reclaiming a lot of those cities and a few of those cities may not be as Black in the future. If I'm not mistaken Atlanta, Philadelphia, Detroit and DC are a few of the cities on their radar. If we're not Black now, what are we going to do 50 years from now when everyone looks mixed and Whites have reclaimed all of our cities and we're all living in the country somewhere.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:04 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,306,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Breakdown the club and nightlife scene for me.....What's poppin everyday club wise. What big events hip hop wise does Houston have? Etc.

Thing is, outside of Texas and maybe Louisiana most people aren't really looking at the Houston scene generally speaking. Most people outside of that area still bumped the Geto Boys/Scarface and maybe Lil Flip but people outside of Texas haven't really been checking for the people that put Houston on the map rap wise. People were checking for Houston music during that period in the 2000s when Mike Jones, Slim Thug, Paul Wall and Chamillionaire had albums coming out but after that the scene just vanished....vanished as in nationwide fame.

I lived in Tx in 99 for a year due to the military. This is when I was first heard screw music. I would put screw music in the same category as DC Go Go music and Bmore House/club music, etc meaning it's known but not nationally accepted accept for a few songs.

Hell I be thinking all the local Atlanta music is just local until I visit other cities nationwide and turn on the radio stations and go to the clubs out of town and hear mostly Atlanta music. I think Atlanta has the best package but several things are needed to be successful in hip hop, city wise. One thing Atlanta has going is we have a lot of events and visitors that come to the city. Once they come here and listen to the radio and go to the clubs they hear music that is new to them and they go back home and tell their friends about it. "Yo, I heard that new ___ in Atlanta. It's fire." Then it blows up in their town 3-4months later. Second, like I said people will always love to party and most Atlanta artist just make songs for the club. DJ's everywhere are going to want to play that hot crunk new song out of Atlanta because the DJ has a job to do. Third is we have a lot of radio stations. 8 hip hop stations to be exact. 3 of them play new hip hop. The system is that 94.5 will play just about every local artist all day. A few of the songs will catch on and blow up. Then the other 2 stations are forced to play it and then it blows up. If they are lucky a local big hip hop star will jump on the track for a remix to really blow it up. Then the rest of Georgia will play it then it will blow up. I think Houston artist generally will make it to this step and that's where it ends. They are missing some element to take it to the next level nationally again. You said the average Atlanta natives don't know much about Houston scene. Well it's not our job to find out about it. It is Houston job to force feed it to everyone to make them want to learn about it.
Nobody really looks at Houston's scene??? Drake, future, t.I , snoop Dogg, all did songs with Houston artist this past year IN HOUSTON lol look on YouTube. Drake even has the Houston Astros logo tattooed on him. Drake calls H town his second home. Houston hip hop is more lyrical than atl ask jay z and styles p from nyc. Perhaps you should listen to more mix tapes instead of being brainwashed by radio play.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:10 AM

27,611 posts, read 24,787,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah I don't even know what the point is anymore.
The only semi-intelligent discussion revolving around hip hop can only be had with close friends and associates. Even then, there may be an SAT score cutoff. Otherwise, it devolves into what we've seen over the last few pages.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Nobody really looks at Houston's scene??? Drake, future, t.I , snoop Dogg, all did songs with Houston artist this past year IN HOUSTON lol look on YouTube. Drake even has the Houston Astros logo tattooed on him. Drake calls H town his second home. Houston hip hop is more lyrical than atl ask jay z and styles p from nyc. Perhaps you should listen to more mix tapes instead of being brainwashed by radio play.
Ok

Old 04-23-2015, 09:19 AM

27,611 posts, read 24,787,463 times
So the last few pages have shown us that the options for the Shy Glizzie, Fetty Wap, O.G. Bobby Johnson crowd are abundant in many majority Black cities across the U.S. What is there to do for the folks who lean more Esperanza than K. Michelle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is20sd5rDUY

Old 04-23-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
People Atlanta made it's own type of rap,I know heck of people in the industry from Houston,Memphis,Florida,SC,New Orleans that has more respect for Atlanta than there own city in the industry! So don't be saying ATL stole and claiming it because last time I check we invented trap and slick crunk music. How do I know that, because i'm in the music/movie industry.
POINT BLANK
Come on man lol.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Come on man lol.

Are you going to answer my question about Houston club/etc scene?

Old 04-23-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Do Houston radio support Houston artist generally speaking? I think this is a major reason so many Atlanta artist blow up is because our radio stations support our local artist. This one station called Streetz 94.5 play all street shyt 24/7. First it blows up in Atlanta because a radio station played it. Then when it blows up in the streets all the other stations have to play it. Then it spreads across Ga. The south. Then nationally. Another thing is most of our artist make music for the club and strip club so most of the music will always be catchy, generally speaking. What Houston needs to do is to get the radio stations onboard. Matter of fact if most cities would follow the Atlanta blueprint more artist would blow up because your city has to support its artist.
I agree. A few years back a shooting happened at trae's event. Because of that shooting. Trae's music was banned from 97.9 even though trae himself was not involved. Trae is one of the Houston artist that constantly collaborates with Atlanta artist. I do agree Houston radio stations should promote they local artist more.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Are you going to answer my question about Houston club/etc scene?
Look I'm not going to downplay Atlanta's club scene it's very nice. But Houston has a good club/black hip hop strip club scene as well. Try going sometime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or