U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 12:33 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,864,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
White people love ratchet Atlanta hip hop. They just don't want to be around ratchet people when they hear it
lol.Well who does?I know I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Afonega1 and a few other Atl homers are really trying they hardest to downplay Houston hip hop, club scene , nightlife for blacks etc. I'm really starting to get the sense they never been to H town. To many assumptions being thrown around.
Truthfully im joking and playing around a little bit.However when some of you insist Houston is up there with Atlanta and its attraction for African Americans that is just way beyond a stretch.Its just not that accurate of what Houston is.
Its like you guys alk about how "diverse" Houston is then in the same breath try to act like Houston has attracts mostly blacks.Thats not even true for Atlanta(thats the perception).

I dont have a lot of experence with Houston but neither do I with Seattle yet I know enough to form a reasonable opinion.
Frankly i have not said anything about Houston that you can prove is factually false

Old 04-23-2015, 01:19 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,308,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
City wack yo lol.

and yall wonder why nobody paying attention to houston
Lol.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:24 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,308,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Truthfully im joking and playing around a little bit.However when some of you insist Houston is up there with Atlanta and its attraction for African Americans that is just way beyond a stretch.Its just not that accurate of what Houston is.
Its like you guys alk about how "diverse" Houston is then in the same breath try to act like Houston has attracts mostly blacks.Thats not even true for Atlanta(thats the perception).

I dont have a lot of experence with Houston but neither do I with Seattle yet I know enough to form a reasonable opinion.
Frankly i have not said anything about Houston that you can prove is factually false
OK so show me why Atlanta is the better city for blacks. Is it easier for blacks to get hired?

Old 04-23-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I can own my Blackness anywhere. It may be easier to do in a city like Atlanta or DC but to be completely honest if you're proud to be the Black person that you are you will find yourself owning your Blackness in Fairbanks Alaska or Albuquerque New Mexico. Not to take anything away from Atlanta, but I can't wrap my mind around the fact that Blacks from cities like Philadelphia and Cleveland, places that have significant Black populations, and proud, unapologetic Black people feel that can be "more Black" in Atlanta or own their Blackness there as though they weren't wherever they're from.

There will always be Blacks that feel the need to assimilate to get along, and like to tuck their Blackness into their shirt or in their pocket and pull it out, just in case they need it, but when you live your life in that way you forget how to be Black and digress into some caricature of Blackness. You're either Black or you're not. A lot of Black people don't really know what they are because they're too busy trying to be something that they're not. A lot of Black people are like that naturally, and they aren't assimilating they're just being themselves.

I don't understand people's insecurities. The fact that there are still cities in America with predominately Black populations is reassuring. Enjoy it while you can because Whites are reclaiming a lot of those cities and a few of those cities may not be as Black in the future. If I'm not mistaken Atlanta, Philadelphia, Detroit and DC are a few of the cities on their radar. If we're not Black now, what are we going to do 50 years from now when everyone looks mixed and Whites have reclaimed all of our cities and we're all living in the country somewhere.
Are you black?I dont mean this as insult.I ask because most black people including my relatives that live in cities like Philly or Cleveland will tell you that its about opportunity and acceptance.Philly and Cleveland are old money cites.Black people are limited to high level government positions but you dont see them at charity fundraiser at the symphony or Opera unlike Atlanta,
You can always get an idea about how a city is for black people based on the history of the local police department.
High incidents of police brutality or profiling.
Another way is look at whose running the city.I dont mean whos the mayor,I mean how deep is the involvement of blacks in all levels of goernment and the business community,

My statement was never about not being abe to own your blackness anywhere,It was in response to those who wish to criticize those who do choose to live in a city like Atlanta as if they wish to not assimilate.
the point is you have several AA neighborhoods of all classes to choose from along with diverse neighborhoods and blacks run the gammit across Atlanta.

You can look in even the high society pages and see black and white old rich people in tuxedos in Atlanta smooxing together,

I dont hang around all black people.Never have BUT I like being able to have access to it when I want it and like I said its important to me to show other ethnic groups that we are more than what they see on T.V.
You can live any kind of life you want to as a black person and nobody will blink an eye.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:31 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,039,134 times
Old article but it's an interesting read. It's related to the thread topic too.

Nightlife Cliques: Buppies, Crunchies, Greeks, Africans and 'Em - Urban Cusp

Old 04-23-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
OK so show me why Atlanta is the better city for blacks. Is it easier for blacks to get hired?
Well there are facts like I posted earlier like percentages of black business is double that of Houston.
You have several black institutions of higher learning.That means black professors with Ph.D which Atlanta also has a much higher concentration of.
Then there is the nightlife.Even at mostly white clubs you will hear hip hop or Rand B but if you want to go to an upscale club that caters to blacks,you can do that too.The fact that there are not just in the city but in the suburbs too is the difference.

I don't think its easier for blacks to get hired necessarily BUT I think because of Atlanta's long history as well as being one of the first cities in the country that mandated access to city contracts help grow the black /minority buisness elite in Atlanta,it does make it easier.

People just see whats going on today but they dont realize that long ago this was set up this way wnen blacks gained power when Maynard Jackson was in office to even before that.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:36 PM

27,613 posts, read 24,814,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Philly and Cleveland are old money cites.Black people are limited to high level government positions but you dont see them at charity fundraiser at the symphony or Opera unlike Atlanta.

http://www.artsatl.com/wp-content/up...57_resized.jpg

Old 04-23-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Thats not a charity fundraiser.

AND lets be real its not like its a night at the Apollo but you see the same types of old guard black business people like the Herman amd Jeroe Russel,The Barancos that own the largest Mercedes-Benz and other dealerships in Georgia,Alexis Scott of the Atlanta Daily World etc.

Name people like this who are well known African Americans business people in Houston.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Here is a society magazine in Atlanta called Southern.If you look at several of the covers you will see a black person or just black peole on some f the covers.

I have been to some of these events and have seen this first hand.
ISSUU - Southern Seasons Magazine Spring 2015 by Southern Seasons Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or