U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-24-2015, 10:55 AM
 
56,338 posts, read 80,579,507 times
Reputation: 12439

Advertisements

Here's a pretty recent list of metro and micro areas by Black median household income. Keep in mind that the national MHI is roughly $53,000 and the national Black MHI is around $35-36,000: U.S. Median Black Household Income Metro Area Rank Based on ACS 2008-2012 data*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-24-2015, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,603 posts, read 26,986,071 times
Reputation: 9546
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
LOL.As opposed to your agenda?If Im so wrong then disprove it.All you got is"the census is wrong" but somehow we should accept your word.
Where did I say anything about the census? Copy and paste it. What agenda did I say about on anything other than I don't believe the Atlanta black population is at 2 million yet? And I said the Houston Black population percentage would be much higher if it wasn't for the larger and faster growing Hispanic group in the entire metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2015, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,263,665 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Where did I say anything about the census? Copy and paste it. What agenda did I say about on anything other than I don't believe the Atlanta black population is at 2 million yet? And I said the Houston Black population percentage would be much higher if it wasn't for the larger and faster growing Hispanic group in the entire metro.
Ahh now you get how I responded when you said it to me.I dont have an agenda,Ive not said anything bad about Houston other than what I see as factual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2015, 02:16 PM
 
Location: The Dirty South.
1,573 posts, read 1,422,559 times
Reputation: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Ahh now you get how I responded when you said it to me.I dont have an agenda,Ive not said anything bad about Houston other than what I see as factual.
Does atlanta have one of the lowest crime rates in the black community? Is it easier for blacks to get hired in Atlanta compared to other cities? Can you prove so?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2015, 02:41 PM
 
56,338 posts, read 80,579,507 times
Reputation: 12439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I made this thread to see/learn about how many people that respond would say the San Francisco Bay Area.

Looks like not many, unfortunately.
Why? Just curious....I'd say that the east Bay would be more likely to mentioned in this regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2015, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,623 posts, read 8,290,682 times
Reputation: 7575
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why? Just curious....I'd say that the east Bay would be more likely to mentioned in this regard.
Well when people say they live in a highly diverse place or international place or cosmopolitan place or integrated place, they need to back it all up, in my opinion.

I have some very strict viewpoints in regards to the cosmopolitan/diversity/internationalism topics. If you have noticed, those are the topics I engage in the most on this forum and that is because I find them to be 100% more engaging, exciting, and interesting than any other topic.

I like to put theories to test too. When people say the Bay Area is international. They're right, with so many languages spoken, so many immigrant groups that account for like 20-30% of the population in the Bay Area as a foreign born percentage. When people say the Bay Area is diverse, that is also true. Just look at its demographics. It appears to have all of the major "racial" groups set in, in addition to lots of bi-racial, or multi-racial people too. Massive LGBT population too (which I include with diversity). When people say the Bay Area is cosmopolitan, I agree it is, but when they say it is one of the most in the world, I generally have to disagree there. The Bay Area's achilles heel is everything Afro-centric. It is not a major entry point for Afro-Caribbeans, for African-Americans (in fact is seeing a reverse migration of them), or people actually from Africa. It is also a lousy place for South Americans too. It is completely shut off from at least two corners of the world. That is not "among the most cosmopolitan in the world" to me.

Super international? Yes (check).

Super integrated? Yes (check). It leads the nation at this, along with Houston, and slightly ahead of Dallas-Fort Worth.

Super diverse? Yes (check).

Super cosmopolitan? No, it is cosmopolitan but has its limitations and is by no means extremely cosmopolitan, which would entail having every faction of the world's differences (people) all into one area in noticeably large-type numbers. That is a melting pot (ala New York, a bit lessor extent Los Angeles and London as well).

I wanted to see what people of Black background had to say. So I made a thread, let it grow to 500 posts, read it without commenting silently, and gathered that my impression of the Bay Area has been right all along. 500 posts and like 3-4 people tops mentioned San Francisco Bay Area. That is it.

I mean there are so many people in this thread, so many, and it seems like there is a "almost" unanimous decision of what the top black cities are and the San Francisco Bay Area hardly seems to be apart of that consensus.

Just an experiment off a forum questionnaire, nothing beyond that from my end. I don't have any motives behind it but I just had an internal question, wanted a direct answer (and don't trust directly asking it because then people would intentionally try to manipulate the answers to fit their own viewpoints rather than objectively), and got it. That's it.

The San Francisco Bay Area is a great place to be but it too has its holes and is not for everyone, this thread sort of reinforces that notion to me.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-24-2015 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2015, 04:29 PM
 
56,338 posts, read 80,579,507 times
Reputation: 12439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Well when people say they live in a highly diverse place or international place or cosmopolitan place or integrated place, they need to back it all up, in my opinion.

I have some very strict viewpoints in regards to the cosmopolitan/diversity/internationalism topics. If you have noticed, those are the topics I engage in the most on this forum and that is because I find them to be 100% more engaging, exciting, and interesting than any other topic.

I like to put theories to test too. When people say the Bay Area is international. They're right, with so many languages spoken, so many immigrant groups that account for like 20-30% of the population in the Bay Area as a foreign born percentage. When people say the Bay Area is diverse, that is also true. Just look at its demographics. It appears to have all of the major "racial" groups set in, in addition to lots of bi-racial, or multi-racial people too. Massive LGBT population too (which I include with diversity). When people say the Bay Area is cosmopolitan, I agree it is, but when they say it is one of the most in the world, I generally have to disagree there. The Bay Area's achilles heel is everything Afro-centric. It is not a major entry point for Afro-Caribbeans, for African-Americans (in fact is seeing a reverse migration of them), or people actually from Africa. It is also a lousy place for South Americans too. It is completely shut off from at least two corners of the world. That is not "among the most cosmopolitan in the world" to me.

Super international? Yes (check).

Super integrated? Yes (check). It leads the nation at this, along with Houston, and slightly ahead of Dallas-Fort Worth.

Super diverse? Yes (check).

Super cosmopolitan? No, it is cosmopolitan but has its limitations and is by no means extremely cosmopolitan, which would entail having every faction of the world's differences (people) all into one area in noticeably large-type numbers. That is a melting pot (ala New York, a bit lessor extent Los Angeles and London as well).

I wanted to see what people of Black background had to say. So I made a thread, let it grow to 500 posts, read it without commenting silently, and gathered that my impression of the Bay Area has been right all along. 500 posts and like 3-4 people tops mentioned San Francisco Bay Area. That is it.

I mean there are so many people in this thread, so many, and it seems like there is a "almost" unanimous decision of what the top black cities are and the San Francisco Bay Area hardly seems to be apart of that consensus.

Just an experiment off a forum questionnaire, nothing beyond that from my end. I don't have any motives behind it but I just had an internal question, wanted a direct answer (and don't trust directly asking it because then people would intentionally try to manipulate the answers to fit their own viewpoints rather than objectively), and got it. That's it.

The San Francisco Bay Area is a great place to be but it too has its holes and is not for everyone, this thread sort of reinforces that notion to me.
Thank you and it nice to see an OP coming back with a legit response to starting a thread.

As mentioned before, in terms of Black people in the Bay Area, the East Bay is going to be the best bet. here's a list: http://www.usa.com/rank/california-s...lst=CA&yr=8000

Outside of Marin City, which is in affluent Marin County and the community in the Bay area with the highest Black percentage and Vallejo, most of the top Bay Area communities in this regard are in the East Bay(Oakland, North Richmond, Richmond, Fairview, Ashland, Hercules, etc.).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-24-2015 at 04:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2015, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,263,665 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Does atlanta have one of the lowest crime rates in the black community? Is it easier for blacks to get hired in Atlanta compared to other cities? Can you prove so?.

1)Ive not mentioned one thing about crime.2)I already answered that question about blacks being hired.If you cant remember then go back and read it.
So what is there to prove?
Are you saying those two things are the only metric that make a city more desirable for blacks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2015, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,263,665 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
It can grow all it wants, but the successful black seem to prefer other places.

Median Income, Black Married-couple families:
New York - $100,502
Los Angeles - $84,004
Atlanta - $80,185

Median Income, All Black families:
New York- $79,740
Los Angeles - $64,673
Atlanta - $63,775

Median Household Income, Black 25 to 44 years old head of household:
New York- $71,915
Los Angeles - $59,752
Atlanta - $54,843
Then why is the black population across all income brackets are shrinking in those cities EXCEPT Atlanta?
Do you really think the cost of living is would not be much lower in Atlanta that the salaries would somehow be the same or more as the other two cities?
Go look up the average home price or rent in those cities and come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2015, 05:39 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,903,606 times
Reputation: 4076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Where did I say anything about the census? Copy and paste it. What agenda did I say about on anything other than I don't believe the Atlanta black population is at 2 million yet? And I said the Houston Black population percentage would be much higher if it wasn't for the larger and faster growing Hispanic group in the entire metro.
Atlanta's black population may not be 2 million yet, but it isn't far off. If you consider the CSA of 6.1 million then it's already there at 32% black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:50 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top